Got a few things done with the Burb

Wants2Wander

Well, I've slowly been getting things going on the Burb. New tires Cooper STT 285/75R16, 33x11.5. Got some minor body work done, hack style but it looks ok to get through the first salt infested winter here, stripped the rubber moulding off and need to scrape the dough together to get all of the door seals replaced. MPG's have been dropping and the fuel spray coming out of the driver side injector has a dribble along with the cone. Smells rich as well, new injectors time i guess. A place near here has OEM throttle body assemblies, new never opened, for $250 should i do that and have a new assembly or get injectors? Going to replace all of the sensors and stab a new distributor in as well, do a thorough tune up. Loving the damn near free prices for this thing as well, all new brakes, everything front and rear, for just over $300. Nice. I'm thinking of doing the roof in white in the spring, from the seam up. All in all I'm loving this ******ker. I'm trying to get a pic or two up but it keeps going to an error page, I'll try in a little bit.

poriggity

Explorer
Sounds like you've done quite a bit to this rig so far.. let us know how the STT's are.. I am really liking those, and may go with those next time I need tires. I am new to this expedition thing, and am doing it in my former tow rig, a 2004 Dodge Ram CTD QC long bed LOL! But I figure, if I don't get myself into too many tight places, I should be ok!
Scott

Wants2Wander

Finally got around to resizing some pics. I've had a set of Cooper STT's on my 2003 4Runner for about 50k miles and still have about 8-10mm of tread depth, they have not let me down and work really well in snow and on ice. Hope to get through this winter before replacing them, i'm going to go to about the same size as the ones that went on the Burb. Found injectors for $40 bucks apiece so those are being ordered today. The one pic is at my old work place, my brother in law is a mechanic there and I was an operator, we were doing new rear axle seals and brakes. I lucked out with fantastic in-laws.

Attachments

• Burb HiHat resize.jpg
    Burb HiHat resize.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Burb Purpero resize.jpg
    Burb Purpero resize.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Coopers on Burb resize.jpg
    Coopers on Burb resize.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

Wants2Wander

Well, its funny how if you get rid of most of the bolts the bumper falls right off! I guess I gotta start making cardboard templates and get a new front bumper fabbed up. Then its a rear that will swing a spare tire clear of the barn doors. I'm going to limit the barn doors to about a 100 degrees with the nylon limit strap and the swing out at 180 degrees with a bumper of some sort. I'm not gonna lie the Off Road Design is my muse for the front bumper, the rear will be willy nilly as long as it works. I have good fabricators as friends and in-laws. Here we go. I also park in the compact size spots for school or in the "fuel efficient" spots. I'm a fun 37 year old.

Attachments

• no more bumper resize.jpg
    no more bumper resize.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 20
  • compact size resize.jpg
    compact size resize.jpg
    386.1 KB · Views: 19

Wants2Wander

Bumper mock up.

Getting the base about 99% mocked up, a few details remain. Looking at doing some tubes up top but I'm not sure how to start figuring out the bends. There is a tube bender in the garage but it isn't a mandrel bender, I feel that these should be bent up in that fashion, am I wrong? I'm looking at doing the base in 3/16" plate and then the tubes in 2.5"x.120". Any ideas or input is always appreciated.

Attachments

• Mock 2 resize.jpg
    Mock 2 resize.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 19
  • Mock 3 resize.jpg
    Mock 3 resize.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 15
  • Mock 4 resize.jpg
    Mock 4 resize.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 18

Forum statistics

Threads