1999 Suburban Question

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
I have a 1999 1500 Suburban w/350 engine. I want to keep it as close to stock as possible, what is the largest tires/wheel size I can put on without a lift? I would like to go with 33's.

Also, it has the push button to engage the 4 wheel drive instead of the actual gear shift on the floor, how reliable is this and any problems I should look for?

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I have a 1999 1500 Suburban w/350 engine. I want to keep it as close to stock as possible, what is the largest tires/wheel size I can put on without a lift? I would like to go with 33's.

Also, it has the push button to engage the 4 wheel drive instead of the actual gear shift on the floor, how reliable is this and any problems I should look for?

I have a '98 Yukon. It looks like 265s are the biggest without any issues. I saw one like mine with 285s but the guy told me they rub when turning hard.

I am thinking of going to 285s and the Rough Country 2.5-3" kit. Since yours is a '99, This is the kit for you.

I haven't had mine long enough to notice anything "bad" about the NP 246, so I don't know. Mine shifts fine, but I don't hammer on it.

Do you have the G80 rear diff?

Dave

RusherRacing

Adventurer
I haven't had issues with my 4 wheel drive but as they get up in milage you will have some clunking that I am told is normal and i have experienced in quite a few that I have driven. Its wear on all the components throughout the drivetrain...

As for tires, 265/75/16 - zero issues

285/75/16 will also fit but may rub a little at full lock etc from what I have been told. I run a 265/75/16 currently and my next set will be 285/75/16 from treadwright.

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I haven't had issues with my 4 wheel drive but as they get up in milage you will have some clunking that I am told is normal and i have experienced in quite a few that I have driven. Its wear on all the components throughout the drivetrain...

Clunking while in 4WD or when shifting to 4WD? I notice some banging around if I shift from 4H to 4L or vice versa with the transmission in neutral and the vehicle at a full stop. While in 4H or 4L, i haven't noticed any clunking.

I do get a little clunk like behavior when coming from a stop. I have been told that is one of the inherent manners of the G80.

Dave

RusherRacing

Adventurer
Well 4 wheel drive vs. 2 wheel drive doesn't matter... its the clucking when coming to a stop or i notice it more when starting to take off.

From what I was told it was a combination of the rear diff wear, bushings, ujoint wear etc...

Mine has 148k harder miles on it (lots of time on washboard gravel) but it was noticable on all I test drove with 110K+ miles. Some worse than others.

PAToyota

Adventurer
My K2500 has 285-75-R16s on it and there was a bit of interference with the front bumper and a plastic trim piece. Removal of the trim and a bit of cutting and no more rubbing. Not sure how much different things are from the 1500 to the 2500 as far as clearances go, though.

Loco-Nomad

Adventurer
Do you have the G80 rear diff?

Dave[/QUOTE]

I do not have the G80, I have checked the glove box codes and can not determine what I have! It has 3:73 gears w/4L60E tranny, but cannot find the code for the rear differential. Any ideas?

MoGas

Central Scrutinizer
I do not have the G80, I have checked the glove box codes and can not determine what I have! It has 3:73 gears w/4L60E tranny, but cannot find the code for the rear differential. Any ideas?

You will only have the G80 code if you have the locker. Otherwise, it's open diff.

There are a few places to check your codes.

Here and Here are pretty good ones.

Dave

clandr1

Adventurer
My two door 4x4 '97 Tahoe ran 285/75/16 with no rubbing at all but my buddy's '99 4 door had some rubbing on the front. Not sure why they were different...

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Well 4 wheel drive vs. 2 wheel drive doesn't matter... its the clucking when coming to a stop or i notice it more when starting to take off.

From what I was told it was a combination of the rear diff wear, bushings, ujoint wear etc...

Mine has 148k harder miles on it (lots of time on washboard gravel) but it was noticable on all I test drove with 110K+ miles. Some worse than others.

Check your transmission mount too, it could be something as simple as that causing the clunking. If that is your suspect, get it replaced ASAP or you will suffer a serious internal transmission failure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94