rim width/ tire size

UHAULER

Explorer
I see people running 285/75/16 on 7" rims and was wondering what most people find acceptable.

There doesn't seem to be much selection for a tall tire for a 16" rim. I know 255/85/16 is/was popular but they are all very aggressive tread.

I would like to see a 265/85/16 AT but I know that isn't going to happen with the trend towards 17-20" rims.

Bella PSD

Explorer
I ran one set of MT 285's on the stock Ford 16x7 wheels for 67,000 miles. It was just fine. Felt no better or worse than the 265's it had on it for the first 10 miles from the dealer to the tire shop. I then tried 35's on 16x7, that sucked bad. Soon after that a went to 16x10. But 285's and 16x7 =:victory: for me!

Shiryas

Adventurer
BellaPSD

Elaborate on the problems you had with the 7" width a little more for me please. I have a 97 CCLB 4x4 Powerstroke that will soon be getting new tires. I would very much like to go to 315 and keep the stock Alcoa's but all tire manufacturer's list this rim as too narrow for this size tire (8" minimum). The tires I am looking at are the Goodyear Duratrac's, since they are the only AT in a 315 that is E rated (That I have found, any others please post up or PM me)

I have been back and forth on this safety issue. Some other Powerstroke sites have members running 315 on the stock 7" wheels, even "sled pulling" with this set up, but I am curious on your first had experience.

Thanks, Chris

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
BellaPSD

Elaborate on the problems you had with the 7" width a little more for me please. I have a 97 CCLB 4x4 Powerstroke that will soon be getting new tires. I would very much like to go to 315 and keep the stock Alcoa's but all tire manufacturer's list this rim as too narrow for this size tire (8" minimum). The tires I am looking at are the Goodyear Duratrac's, since they are the only AT in a 315 that is E rated (That I have found, any others please post up or PM me)

I have been back and forth on this safety issue. Some other Powerstroke sites have members running 315 on the stock 7" wheels, even "sled pulling" with this set up, but I am curious on your first had experience.

Thanks, Chris

I am in the same boat, although with my 2000 Dodge. I have 285s but want to replace them with 315s. I will want to stay with factory wheels and people have posted here that they are ok on a 7" rim. What issues did you have that made them "suck bad"?

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I'm running 285's with a 8" Dodge rim and after 35,000 now,the centers are wearing prematurely. I'd like to get 315's,but that would eat up the centers again.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
My 285s are fine. I also ran 315s on my 05 factory rims with no adverse wear. I am, as the others above are, asking about 315s on 7" rims...

Bella PSD

Explorer
BellaPSD

Thanks, Chris

The big problem I had with the 315’s on stock Ford rims was rubbing on the spring at full turn. This was mostly on the driver’s side leaf spring and was very annoying!! But this was only a stock wheel backspace issue.

The other issue was not as bad but the truck just did not feel as controlled as before with the 285’s. I confirmed this when I installed the 16x10 wheels on the 315’s after about 8-10,000 miles on stock 16x7 wheels and 315’s. The control issue felt a lot better with the combined 315 and 16x10, about the same as the 285’s on stock 16x7 wheels. Tire wear was OK with 315’s on 16x7 but I could tell there was going to be some minor irregularities in tread wear after 10K miles. I went on to get 65K out of the 315 mud tires on 16x10. I don’t think that would ever happen on a 16x7 rim with 315’s; just not a big enough area on the rim to pull the tire out even like a 8” or 10” wheel can.

I would guess the control issue for me was the flex in the sidewall due to the balloon effect of the 35” tire on a small 7” wheel. You can just tell looking at a 35 on a 7” wheel that it just looks odd or to ballooned out. Just too much tire hanging out past the outer edges of the smaller rim.

Louie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz