Top Reasons Why Your Wife/Girlfriend or Family Do Not Go On Trips with You?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I have a regular and frequent need to Just Get Out There. My wife would prefer to go somewhere New most of the time, and for me, "New" means more logistical efforts and trip prep. So I more often Just Get Out There to familiar routes and locations and she stays home. These tend to be just simple day trips to local trails. When we have the chance to plan and ramp up for a proper trip (usually a weekender), she is definitely on board, and will gladly weather through just about any condition, but cold or wind are buzzkills for her...or worse, cold and windy!

Example, I've done the Mojave trail with her twice, and without her twice, and she's done it without me once (she lead the group!). I am going to run it again soon, and she is not very interested in doing it. Her reasons are that she's already done it, and it's likely to be a bit on the cold side this time around...

bugnout

Adventurer
Its the bathroom thing. She's willing, but always wants to know in advance what the facilities are going to be like.

I've countered with: "If they don't meet your standards we can go someplace else." -- So far that has worked pretty well, no need to move.

last year, I took her to Lake City CO and drove the trails and passes. She actually pee'd outdoors, no shelter, just squated. I of course had to stand guard. This was a major break through.

This year, we got a popup and she's decided she's ok with the bucket toilet we have rigged up inside....Making progress.

My goal is to take her canoeing in Quatico Prov Park where she's going to have to lean against a tree most of the time. no facilities at all. We will see...

The Adam Blaster

Expedition Leader
She's worried about our 2yo being cold in a tent. In our region of the world, it's actually a legitimate concern, even in the summer it can get quite cold overnight. We need some sort of enclosed hard-sided camper unit or else she won't bring our 2yo son, and therefore she won't go. And we lead such busy lives, we try to spend as much time together as a family as possible. So, if they don't go, I don't go.

I also think she's a bit concerned (over-concerned maybe?) about keeping him super-ultra-clean in a camping setting. She's a bit of a germa-phobe and it's not getting better as the years go by... lol

I keep saving my pennies and paying my house down as fast as I can so I can afford a nice quality unit adn drag them both with me in whatever direction I choose. :D

Last edited:

datrupr

Expedition Leader
No problems, my wife loves it! and she makes the suggestions a lot of the time on when we should go camping. And while she would prefer a shower, she makes do with "baby wipe" baths before bed and when she gets up. Just not fond of the cold wipes in the morning.

jim65wagon

TundraBird1
No such problems here, my wife frequently plans trips for us and plans the meals. I can pack the truck after work, and the next morning we bug out. She enjoys being out as much as I do, but we both believe in those simple creature comforts that make life just feel special....you know, a good cup of coffee, a hot shower, a slab of porterhouse over a fire....

theksmith

Explorer
GF goes a lot actually, but some things she won't do:

- no trips longer than 3 days without a shower (problem solved now that i have on-board-shower!)

- no trips where you have to poo in a bag and bring it with you (canyonlands, the rubicon, mojave rd, etc)

- hardly ever any spur-of-the-moment trips, because she has a "real" job and also because she is a self-described "planner" where as i am "anti-commitment/planning"

:smiley_drive:

trump

Adventurist
1. Getting her schedule to line up
2. Finding someone to sit the dogs (130 lb Lab mix and 70 lb Shepherd mix don't make easy traveling partners w/ an ext cab Tacoma.)

Get past that and she's a low maintenance adventure seeker.

...As long as the day doesn't include 10hrs in the vehicle ending with a 2hr detour up and down a 10000 ft mountain.:oops: Learned that one the hard way this summer.:snorkel:

I am a truly blessed man...

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_2048.jpg

IMG_0934.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_3938.jpg

... and that's just the last 12 months! (I need to put a ring on it.)

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I married a Summa Cum Laude Recreation Major, Spanish Minor (boy, do I love travelling thru Mexico!).

We met paddling the San Juan Islands and soon began white water slalom racing, racing tandem sea kayaks, mountain biking, and solidified our relationship as a defensive pairing in the local beer leagues (thats hockey for you desert boys :ylsmoke:).

She's the best trip planner, the best navigator, and the best travel companion a guy could ever have.

She'll pee whenever nature calls, wherever nature calls her.

SunshineCoastAug09069k.jpg

SunshineCoastAug09084k.jpg

TJOwyhee_065.jpg

FS38Snowfari2018.jpg

Her reason for not going would be on the occassion that she feels the need to spend time with her sister (the city girl ) inwhich she usually suggests I go enduro riding all weekend (with her brother): the one thing I do that she does not.

Honu

lost on the mainland
with the trailer no issues :)
how about 2 week trip while she was 5 months prego

I am lucky cause before the trailer ? that would have been a no go

I spent 6 months one time straight out of a two man tent ! had lots of stories all good for her but we talked about why not go and the trailer fit the bill to taker her along for long trips and I kinda wanted one anyway :)

Albin

Adventurer
#1 reason my wife doesn't join my son and I on our (usually) biyearly summer desert trips:

No Walmarts out here.

07-21-08-16-52-02_IMG_0846_Albin.JPG_s.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles