Top Reasons Why Your Wife/Girlfriend or Family Do Not Go On Trips with You?

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
If my wife didn't go, I wouldn't go. Then again, if my wife and I didn't enjoy many of the same things, we probably wouldn't be married.

The only time my wife doesn't join me on an outdoor adventure it's because she lacks the skill or ability to follow me. Mountaineering trips, bikepack trips and things of that nature she stays home. That in itself is a bummer. I'd rather share as many of our life experiences as possible.

burn_e

Adventurer
#1 reason my wife doesn't join my son and I on our (usually) biyearly summer desert trips:

No Walmarts out here.

07-21-08-16-52-02_IMG_0846_Albin.JPG_s.jpg

Did you expect a war out there or why the heavy artillery?

K2ZJ

Explorer

Yeah! Is there a rouge zombie population there? Where is the rest of your team? Did everyone survive!?!? :rolleyes:

You take one gun to shoot for fun or practice, and you are ready for war? Last time we took the girls shooting there were 25 of us and 15 were girls. We had at LEAST 3 guns per person! My 4 year old girl loves to shoot! :Wow1:

On Topic: My wife gets "sick of bouncing around the Jeep" after an hour, so she stays at home, where it safe from gun toting war mongers! I mean where she can sit and read in peace. We go camping a bunch but only a few days at a time without a shower. That is her requirement.

RusherRacing

Adventurer
My wife is all about traveling :)

Her only requirement to camping is it must have a toilet.. She is fine with outhouses etc. Also a limit of 3 days without running water and hot showers.

Now if I am camping at the race track she wants nothing to do with it.
- Racing is my time with the boys.

Albin

Adventurer

That's my expert Jack Rabbit Killer with my AR-15 Carbine. He got about 23-24 jackrabbits that summer trip, including one Felony jack rabbit.

He stole his first gun from me when he was 6 (my Ruger 10-22), and his second shortly thereafter (Ruger .22 auto). After that, I wised up - he's been trying to steal that carbine from me since he first shot it at 10 or 11, he was 13 in that pic, he's now 16.

Thanks,

Al

taco2go

Explorer
I'm also in the camp of folks where our conflicting work schedules is the primary reason I may do a trip on my own. Both have weekend calls that sometimes don't coincide.

Interesting thread though.....collecting data, or just curious?

VikingVince

Explorer
From various girlfriends over the years:

~Too much driving/sitting in a vehicle...for a weekend trip, you drive several hours to get to the trail. (either on Fri nite or Sat morn). Most of the day Saturday is spent driving. Sunday you drive some more to finish the trail and then more driving to get home. (I've started to share this dislike...now prefer taking longer trips and basecamping somewhere). It took me a while to realize that I'm having the fun driving/negotiating the trail while the other person is just riding along.

~bathroom/shower issues. I have the PETT system and Zodi shower...okay with me but popularity varies with different women!

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
From various girlfriends over the years:

~Too much driving/sitting in a vehicle...
As a couple we both hate just sitting in a car bouncing through the woods. For that, I'm a terrible overlander. I like the journey, usually love the destination, but the simple act of bouncing around in my Rover is enough to make me bonko. That's why I could never go "wheeling" for the sake of it. I understand why many people love it. I just have to be more engaged in the journey. I'm also way too active to sit too long. I'm also fearful of wasting away my young and fit years with my butt cheeks mated to a car cushion as my belly grows towards the wheel. Get me out walking, running, riding, hiking......

AxeAngel

Expedition Leader
That's my expert Jack Rabbit Killer with my AR-15 Carbine. He got about 23-24 jackrabbits that summer trip, including one Felony jack rabbit.

He stole his first gun from me when he was 6 (my Ruger 10-22), and his second shortly thereafter (Ruger .22 auto). After that, I wised up - he's been trying to steal that carbine from me since he first shot it at 10 or 11, he was 13 in that pic, he's now 16.

Thanks,

Al

Maybe I am too old, maybe i am too liberal, maybe I am just not enough of a man, but I dont understand the desire to kill an animal for the sake of it.

On the other hand i lived in south africa and have hunted extensively, mainly to cull animals and then on safaris - generally only buck. I still dont understand the need to kill an animal for the sake of it. For food, by all means. To ensure the greater success of the herd, by all means.

And for the record, I'm under 30, a former wall st animal, and i still dont understand the need to kill a defenseless animal for the sake of it and brag about it to all my online friends.

-Sam

articulate

Expedition Leader
Interesting thread though.....collecting data, or just curious?
I'm basically curious, but it's turned out to be a seriously fun topic to watch. Bathrooms, cold, wind, boredom in the passenger seat - those appear to be the main deal breakers, and they're understandable.

Keep going.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
I consider myself lucky that she-who-drinks-tea-with-spoon-in-mug is quite happy going and stopping pretty much anywhere.

DSC_3895.jpg

Winter camping (that's Northeast winter) is out, though.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
I'm basically curious, but it's turned out to be a seriously fun topic to watch. Bathrooms, cold, wind, boredom in the passenger seat - those appear to be the main deal breakers, and they're understandable.

Keep going.

To cure the boredom of the passenger seat, I let her drive some of the mild technical stuff and she loves it. She knows the only time I am a control freak is when it comes to driving (meaning I have to drive), and she feels good that I let her drive some off road and appreciates the lessons I give her(she is getting pretty good too).

Wyowanderer

Explorer
I've found that doing the work of picking up the supplies and packing the camper is the most effective way to convince a lady to go. If all she has to do is hand you a duffel and get in, she's pretty likely to want to go.
Being a good cook and pampering her a bit during the trip doesn't hurt, either.
I try pretty hard to cook things SHE likes, not just steak & potatos.

As for bathroom cleanliness, a container of Clorox disinfectant wipes sure helps if you're in a campground.
In the sticks, the bucket and some SSS "Emergency Clean-Up" really help to keep the smell to a minimum.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
To cure the boredom of the passenger seat, I let her drive some of the mild technical stuff and she loves it. She knows the only time I am a control freak is when it comes to driving (meaning I have to drive), and she feels good that I let her drive some off road and appreciates the lessons I give her(she is getting pretty good too).

My wife loves to drive. The harder the terrain the better. It's a mixed blessing. I want to drive too! Moab was the best, because I would take my Land Rover and she would rent a Jeep, and we'd take turns playing follow the leader.

I have found that the only place she truly listens to my instructions are when I'm spotting for her :)

305282882_FpLi8-L.jpg

445942292_MryNh-L.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles