Top Reasons Why Your Wife/Girlfriend or Family Do Not Go On Trips with You?

FordGuy1

Adventurer
My wife is definitely a trooper. She loves to camp, hates camp grounds and just wants to go all the time. She tries to plan two trips a month and usually plans with my friends so I cant get out of a trip. She does not care where she goes to the bathroom, she will go almost anywhere, When we are alone I just set up the pett between a couple trees with a good view!! I really believe our common interests have made for a easy 30 years of marriage, hell I have even talked her into backpacking the JMT in sections starting this year which is pretty good for a 49 year old to start something new like that!

jruba

Adventurer
My wife is definitely a trooper. She loves to camp, hates camp grounds and just wants to go all the time. She tries to plan two trips a month and usually plans with my friends so I cant get out of a trip. She does not care where she goes to the bathroom, she will go almost anywhere, When we are alone I just set up the pett between a couple trees with a good view!! I really believe our common interests have made for a easy 30 years of marriage, hell I have even talked her into backpacking the JMT in sections starting this year which is pretty good for a 49 year old to start something new like that!

Now im Jealous :violent-smiley-031:

Kelly Campbell

I don’t really know for what reasons my wife would rather stay home than go on a camping trip. She simply isn’t the outdoor type as she doesn’t like beaches as well. She loves parties and get-togethers with friends and socializing and all that but no outdoors for her.

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
My wife is the same. Can't get out twice a month but try to at least once every month. She grew up camping in Baja 2 to 3 weeks a year with her family in a VW bus towing a small boat when Baja was still mostly dirt roads. We went through Joshua Tree over New Years after spending a week boondocking in the Mule Mountain area and she said she wasn't a NP person anymore, too many people and rules. Took the camper out of the truck a couple of times to haul stuff. She made me put it back in as soon as I was finished. Didn't like feeling like she couldn't take off at a moments notice. I'm pretty lucky.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
My wife is the same. Can't get out twice a month but try to at least once every month. She grew up camping in Baja 2 to 3 weeks a year with her family in a VW bus towing a small boat when Baja was still mostly dirt roads. We went through Joshua Tree over New Years after spending a week boondocking in the Mule Mountain area and she said she wasn't a NP person anymore, too many people and rules. Took the camper out of the truck a couple of times to haul stuff. She made me put it back in as soon as I was finished. Didn't like feeling like she couldn't take off at a moments notice. I'm pretty lucky.

Same with my wife.

Our early years together were spent kayak camping in Puget Sound, Johnstone Straight, and Vancouver Island. We always camped for the weekend at white water slalom venues when we were on the circuit. We always camp when on white water paddling trips and mountain bike trips, most often backcountry dispersed.

She absolutely had a blast on our first "overland" thru-camping trip in Owyhee years back, has loved overlanding ever since, and has always been a great navigator.

The only thing she doesn't like to do is sit too long posing for photos while I climb around looking for the best shot. I tease her about her impatience in this one, because Petersen 4Wheel & Off Road ended up using it in their July '08 Bug Out Mobiles article.

image.jpg

mjmcdowell

Explorer
My wife of 35 year's likes her creature comforts and we do travel together.... however my trips out west in just my truck are my time and she let's me go and understands that I need this time. If she was as all hesitant about me going, i would not go. I consider myself very lucky to be married to a women who understands my trip's....... out there in this great country, by myself or to meet up with friends on the other side of this country for planed adventures, blessed for sure I am. mjmcdowell

KLT88YJ

Observer
My wife, kids (6 and 19months) attended the Mid Atlantic Overland Festival. My son and I had a blast, my wife did not and my daughter was just too young to know any better! I went the route many of you have stated and purchased a bath house along with the bag toilet, thinking "man she love this!" NOPE! I was sorely wrong. My wife will go camping, however it's not her 1st choice (she was a Girl Scout too!) she'd rather stay at a hotel or a plush cabin, that being said I'd do the cabin! Hotel....rather not! But what ever it takes to get the wife/ family out..!

raysobi

Adventurer
Potty/bathroom/shower

No way in this life time I can convince her except getting the RV which isn't my option. She likes to call it "Glamp-ping" (Glamour + Camping).

quickfarms

Adventurer
Potty/bathroom/shower

No way in this life time I can convince her except getting the RV which isn't my option. She likes to call it "Glamp-ping" (Glamour + Camping).

My wife used that expression last night. The truth is that my rig is not that far off.

Fireman78

Expedition Leader
Potty, shower. Too hot is a close second. I bought a 22 foot Jayco travel trailer a few years ago. Rarely used it (Because I still prefer tents/RTTs, etc). Plus I hated towing it and not being to go the places my Power Wagon could go. It was just an awkward mess. Even having an AC meant running a generator, which I refused to do if we were within a mile of any other campers. A huge awkward mess. After a couple years of rarely using it I sold the trailer. I used to say, "I spent 19,000 dollars for a flushing toilet". (Ended up being a huge loss finacially, oh well). I am hoping I can get a real adventure trailer someday and make both her and I happy.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

WhiteH2O

Observer
TIL I have an amazing wife.

She will go almost anywhere with me. The only thing that might slow her down is the cold.

Kharn

My wife would mainly go camping just to hang out with our friends, but between the tent leaking, flapping in the wind, never being the right temperature, etc (plus fighting about how to put it together in bad weather), the air mattress acting like a trampoline whenever I rolled over (if it didn't leak down overnight), and never being able to find anything in the truck, she was never happy.

But our first trip in our new teardrop was this last weekend and now she loves camping. :D
10730795_10101907382671744_2219836333461786146_n.jpg

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
I'm extremely fortunate that I don't have that issue. We just got back from a month in Guatemala with only backpacks and turned around 2 days later to go to Overland Expo East. We then spent the next weekend in Chicago for the Chicago Marathon. Life is good!

4x4tripping

Adventurer
-
TransAfrica-Flyer.jpg

-
My Girlfriend loves to travel with me, we did our last big trip togehter - the Transafrica showed above.
-
Now I like to do the Panamericana, while she can`t because she has got a big career upgrade last year - she has to work 2-3 years to be able to rejoin on this new level if she takes an year off...
-
The best is - she let me go alone. :wings:
-
Now I`m planning on the next big trip - I`m very curious how I will like it without her company. Would like to have her with me, but therefore she can`t - I like too the idea for staring alone. Better than waiting for an possible date, who maybe never will come.
-
4x4tripping
-

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles