Top Reasons Why Your Wife/Girlfriend or Family Do Not Go On Trips with You?

mike the welder

Adventurer
My wife is a city girl. She goes with me to improved camp grounds, but not on primitive camping trips. Like allot of comments before bathroom, privacy, showers etc. We average about 50/50 vacations together, I go to the deer lease, she goes to Vegas, I go wheeling for a week she goes to New york. We compare stories when we get back. We take allot of vacations together to Korea, Florida, Germany or weekends in Austin, South Padre etc. We drove to Colorado last winter for a long weekend just because she missed seeing snow. We have allot in common but also have our own things and we're good with that. It's worked for the last 26 years.

lysol

Explorer
Even a broken foot won't keep my wife at home... lol. This is from this past Saturday morning. A group of offroaders drove by later that morning. They must have thought we were crazy.

20141025_084407_zps3536187b.jpg

poriggity

Explorer
My wife used to go quite a bit. Honestly now, she doesn't go because our two year old requires a lot of vitamins or nutrient items that we would need to take with us (to help stop her rotting enamel on her teeth), and my wife doesn't like lugging thst stuff around, not to mention it needs to stay in a fridge... Hmmm maybe this will be an excuse to buy a fridge/freezer....

HARDTRAILZ

Certified
Even a broken foot won't keep my wife at home... lol. This is from this past Saturday morning. A group of offroaders drove by later that morning. They must have thought we were crazy.

20141025_084407_zps3536187b.jpg

I camped there before. Nice spot.

My wife has done one trip, but she won't anymore due to our lil kiddos and her nervousness in some of the tougher offroad stuff I tend to try. However at 1 and 3...I think we will be trying to do a family trip in the spring. I would have already brought them, but I respect her worries and she does not mind staying home with them.

lysol

Explorer
I camped there before. Nice spot.

My wife has done one trip, but she won't anymore due to our lil kiddos and her nervousness in some of the tougher offroad stuff I tend to try. However at 1 and 3...I think we will be trying to do a family trip in the spring. I would have already brought them, but I respect her worries and she does not mind staying home with them.

Makes sense. Though, older kids can run into problems with getting bored easily.

I should have clarified, we didn't camp there but instead left NOVA (Fairfax, VA) at about 3am and was sitting in our camping chairs right at 7am up there. Sun rose around 720 i believe, then made breakfast and fell asleep in our chairs... lol It was definitely an impulsive trip because her foot has kept us inside for a while now. We just said f@$# it... let's go... haha.

EDIT - I have seen your Trail Blazer before on various forums. Specifically a forum thread talking about limb risers dated a few years ago.

Last edited:

Hunter67

Observer
My wife didn't like the external ladder of our old RTT and also missed an annex for the toilet. I shortly switched to a RTT with annex and ladder inside, now she can't wait for the next trip! :victory:

Markus

Chandlerdoom

Observer
This was kind of a nice insight to read what I need to plan for so I don't ruin my gf for future camping trips. I have never camped with my gf, but have gone out for longer hikes out in the snow/cold. But after Christmas were hitting the road from IL to make the trip to CO,UT,AZ,CA,OR,WA,MT,WY,SD. Picking up a RTT and fridge to make it a better experience, bathroom/ shower is what I'm worried about but this will be mostly sight seeing so we shouldn't get too dirty

stingray1300

Explorer
My wife has been going with me everywhere ever since we met 35 years ago. Trained her right: "where's the bathroom?" resulted in being handed a camp shovel and a roll of TP. No problem ever since. She's actually a very intrepid princess now. :wings:

Heloflyboy

Adventurer
My first wife use to go camping and hiking all the time. Then we got married and she refused to go. She would say were married now I do not need to do that crap anymore. So I would go on my own and eventually ran into a girl enjoying the same things I did. Needless to say I got divorced real quick and have been happily married for last ten years.

91AzXJ

Adventurer
Wife and I used to tent camp all the time and both loved just getting away. Then the ground got hard and we bought a pop-up tent trailer and towed that thing all over the SW until my daughter came along. She was good until she was about 5 and then hated camping. We quit for a number of years and then my wife had medical issues which requires a good amount of toilet time. Now my daughter who is in her early 20s loves to go offroading and camping with me when school and work don't get in the way. As for the wife, we are in the planning stages of building an offroad RV with a full bathroom and comfy bed for her. $ as always is the main issue.

Ranger Steve

Adventurer
My first wife use to go camping and hiking all the time. Then we got married and she refused to go. She would say were married now I do not need to do that crap anymore. So I would go on my own and eventually ran into a girl enjoying the same things I did. Needless to say I got divorced real quick and have been happily married for last ten years.

What a change for the worse on the first wife. Glad it worked out for you In the end!

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
Too hot... I took her camping when it was 116* and she swore never again if forecasted over 95*.

Too cold... I took her camping when it was 21* and she swore never again when forecasted below 50* daytime temp.

Too isolated... This totally creeped her out; no more solo camping with her off the beaten path.

Too crowded... Huge privacy concerns; she suffers through this one 50% of the time. I'm sure its "the bathroom thing."

Wasn't invited... I'll never understand why I have to extend a personal invite to my wife since I find myself having to go to everything she does unless told otherwise.

At least I haven't heard "too wet" yet.

My wife is a trooper, but she has her limits and doesn't share my enthusiasm for spontaneous (less than a month or two notice in her mind) overnight trips and has responses prepared before I even announce what I'm going to do. In her defense I am responsible to some extent for most of her hangups. She is at least willing to do something new, once. The above results in her going on two of 10 trips a year.

Chazz Layne

Administrator
  1. Job
  2. Inability to "let go" and wander the way I do, without stressing over the lack of a "plan"

She gets over #2 after a few days on the road. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94