Jeep/Land Rover 109 hybrid

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
IMG_0194.jpg

Quoted for raw awesomeness.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
There's certainly an appeal to a reliable vehicle with the classical safari looks. And all the series landrovers that you pass on the highway will wonder what's up...

It should be very similar to an XJ, weight is very similar...

My quick google shows that a stock 109 weighs about 750# more than a stock XJ. About 3150# for the XJ and about 3900# for the 109. So the 109 weighs almost 25% more. That seems significant to me.

Personally, I would have guessed an even bigger difference, due to the heavier-duty frame and running gear. Even the different style of body construction seems like it would weigh more.

Having driven more than a couple miles in each, the 109 'feels' much heavier to me. But I certainly could be wrong.

96discoXD

Adventurer
The 4.0 & AX15 should be more than adequate. A friend of mine with an XJ was using it to haul all his gear to the race track while towing his mid-80's Porsche 911 track car on an aluminum open car trailer. He said it would go down the highway with no problem. The AX15's live just fine behind mild V8 swaps from what I've seen. I'll be shocked if the additional weight creates any problems.

Rover guy here....but that looks great.

Two things off the top of my head -

- I have no idea what the transmission ratios are like in that AX15, but remember that the Series Rover has 4.77's in the diffs....but it you're willing to swap half shafts, the coiler 3.54's will fit in those old housings.

- I don't see a photo of the rear axle. If it looks like a Dana to you, you might be all right. If it looks like the front axle....well, you may as well swap it for a "Salisbury" rear axle now and save yourself some broken halfshafts.
Oh, and that front axle isn't a Superman either....

Good Luck!

KAA

Root Moose

Expedition Leader
- I have no idea what the transmission ratios are like in that AX15, but remember that the Series Rover has 4.77's in the diffs....but it you're willing to swap half shafts, the coiler 3.54's will fit in those old housings.

That would be cool - good gearing for 35" tires with his drivetrain setup... Oh, there's reduction in the transfer case in this vintage of Series Rover also?

Might as well do 37s. :)

BBCchris

Observer
Rover guy here....but that looks great.

Two things off the top of my head -

- I don't see a photo of the rear axle. If it looks like a Dana to you, you might be all right. If it looks like the front axle....well, you may as well swap it for a "Salisbury" rear axle now and save yourself some broken halfshafts.
Oh, and that front axle isn't a Superman either....

Good Luck!

KAA

I think I'm going to use FJ-40 axles in it to keep the width close to stock and most of them have 4.10's. I've been kinda lazy looking for them but need to get more serious about it.
I took apart the stock front axle to give it a look-see and the u-joints are the size of a newborn baby's fist and being 10 spline, I kinda lost interest with even considering using it.
I tossed around the idea with using newer LR Discovery axle's, but it looks like the steering would be a pain with leaf springs. The biggest hangup is the rear axle since it needs to be off set to the right side of the truck. Might be able to use a fullsize axle and lop the one side off to get the width and of course and new shaft. A friend of mine thinks I should do a 9" for the rear but I haven't explored that much.
-Chris

troy

Adventurer
While I agree a more powerful engine would be fun (5.3 LS motor would be my choice), I have to agree that a 4.0 can get the job done for a lot cheaper. Also, for reference 4.0s came in all kinds of Grand Cherokees and the WJs weighed 3700 lbs. according to wiki.

I think aerodynamics will play a bigger issue with MPG and power than the weight will. Nothing you can do about this, just a trade-off of driving something cool.

Does the rover have a divorced t-case? Might be easier to use the Jeep transfer case instead of going with an adapter, then modify the driveshafts to work.

If you haven't already, check out MercedesRover's thread in the Landrover forum. It is the sticky at the top. Very nicely done, and I'd bet the Jeep engine would be more friendly for today's driving styles (highways).

jeepdreamer

Expedition Leader
Axles..

You know Wagoneer axles may be easier to source and cheaper? Though you would certainly have to re-gear.

troy

Adventurer
While I agree a more powerful engine would be fun (5.3 LS motor would be my choice), I have to agree that a 4.0 can get the job done for a lot cheaper. Also, for reference 4.0s came in all kinds of Grand Cherokees and the WJs weighed 3700 lbs. according to wiki.

I think aerodynamics will play a bigger issue with MPG and power than the weight will. Nothing you can do about this, just a trade-off of driving something cool.

Does the rover have a divorced t-case? Might be easier to use the Jeep transfer case instead of going with an adapter, then modify the driveshafts to work.

If you haven't already, check out MercedesRover's thread in the Landrover forum. It is the sticky at the top. Very nicely done, and I'd bet the Jeep engine would be more friendly for today's driving styles (highways).

My suggestion to use a Jeep t-case would greatly simplify your axle search since the t-case output woudl be centered. modifying t-case shifter linkages should be no big deal. You'll definately have some customization, just have to choose what is easier or more cost effective for you.

In fact, since you are used to XJs what about a Jeep D30 up front, chryco 8.25 in back? All you woudl have to do using a Jeep t-case would be to lengthen or shorten the shafts. You could even locate the drivetrain to only have to modify one of them. Just a thought.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior

Members online