Another trailer idea

jon.allison

I randomly came across this on craigslist tonight and thought about using one of these utility beds for a camping trailer.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2043400019.html (This is not mine and I have NO affliation!)

A friend of mine had an ex-utility truck for work and I was amazed at how much stuff you could fit in all the compartments. You would think some of these utility beds are sitting on worn out trucks somewhere. You could even part a complete truck out to make some money back towards a trailer build.

I would imagine you could re-work a few compartments to carry almost anything. Weight might be a problem though.. no idea how much one of these weighs.

roamingaz

Explorer
That is a nice looking trailer for the price. I think it would work out well if all the compartments sealed good, I have seen some that leak and everything gets soaked after a heavy rain.

RabidRover

Observer
I randomly came across this on craigslist tonight and thought about using one of these utility beds for a camping trailer.

http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/2043400019.html (This is not mine and I have NO affliation!)

A friend of mine had an ex-utility truck for work and I was amazed at how much stuff you could fit in all the compartments. You would think some of these utility beds are sitting on worn out trucks somewhere. You could even part a complete truck out to make some money back towards a trailer build.

I would imagine you could re-work a few compartments to carry almost anything. Weight might be a problem though.. no idea how much one of these weighs.

You will also need to consider the dimensions as well as the weight if you plan on taking it down some trails. Most utility trucks I have scene are 1 ton or more (dual wheels) ... they might be a bit wide and by the time you build some clearance under them, a bit high. I drive a lifted Discovery with a roof rack and RTT though ... so I am a bit of a hypocrite :yikes: At the end of the day, you make what works for you. IMO, the build is half the fun.

Expedition Key

Adventurer
What are you driving? If you have a full size (or 7/8 size ;), I'd go for it if the box is in good shape.

I priced a new utility bed out like that a few years ago and IIRC it was around $7k.

I'm on a lifetime lookout for an aluminum body from a compact truck to make a trailer out of. My plumber has the only one I've seen on an old Toyota, I think it's a Reading. I've inquired several times with Reading distributers but never got a definitive answer on availability.

Anyway, good luck

greentruck

Adventurer
Yep, weight is the big issue with turning a utility bed into a trailer. I've seen several write-ups that did so and that seemed to be the one significant drawback to having all that convenience.

If you look long enough, you can find utility beds for virtually any cab-chassis platform. The ones for small trucks are generally more scarce, I suspect in part because the limited capacity is much more of an issue with them.

I have seen various fiberglass or plastic utility beds in recent years. One of those would be ideal for a trailer, as it would be much lighter. Thing is that they don't rust and are more expensive than metal utility beds, so people hold onto them or transfer them to a new truck.

rain76king

Adventurer
I have been looking to pick up a utility body this winter. I have been looking for a smaller truck platform and fiberglass. From there I'll make a frame with a diet in mind keeping down the poundage. I have seen a few but waiting for prices to drop.
This should be a worthwhile project. I have a great Safari trailer but I'm thinking I can make one thats lighter and has more useable storage.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne