chrysler voyager doing dumb stuff.

bftank

Explorer
so my suburban is still a work in progress and we wanted to do some camping this summer. we inherited a minivan from the inlaws somehow, and decided to take that on a camping trip up on the grand mesa. our neighbors wife was sick and in the hospital so we kidnapped their boys for a couple days.

it was a good trip. it was right after these pics were taken that i realised that we hadn't brought the spare tire, fire extinguisher or first aid kit:Wow1:. i guess we were the fools getting watched over this time.

Attachments

• deralds pics 001.jpg
    deralds pics 001.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 288
  • deralds pics 002.jpg
    deralds pics 002.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 209
  • deralds pics 004.jpg
    deralds pics 004.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 212
  • deralds pics 005.jpg
    deralds pics 005.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 145
  • minivan bad road.JPG
    minivan bad road.JPG
    93.5 KB · Views: 169
  • flower.JPG
    flower.JPG
    226.4 KB · Views: 106
  • grand mesa sundown.JPG
    grand mesa sundown.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 108
  • the boys pushing camilla off a cliff.JPG
    the boys pushing camilla off a cliff.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 221
  • PRETTY WEED.JPG
    PRETTY WEED.JPG
    209.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

bftank

Explorer
found out the other day that a 30x9.5r15 will fit, barely. wife wanted good winter tires for it, so i ordered cooper stt's :victory:

had warped rotors in the front so i upgraded to ebc brakes and pads.

found a video on youtube about a guy in canada that put a lighter vw tdi motor in, which raised the front end an inch or two. looks simple enough, no must not funnel money into minivan!

Jrally

Adventurer
It's a sickness. I love making cars(vans in your case) do things they aren't expected to do. The cheapest lift would be simple coil spacers installed above the springs. If the 30" tires fit, sounds like you would have just picked up an inch or two there as well...

-Jon

bftank

Explorer
pretty sure it has struts in the front so a coil spacer wouldn't work i don't think. i might be able to space the strut mount down an inch though. flip the rear axle. hmm.

i wouldn't replace the engine in it unless it blew or the tranny went and i found one for a smoking deal. it has 160k on it and gets about 25 mpg. well before the tires it did.

edit; i am an idiot, of course spacers would work, other wise i would get any droop. i'll have to see what size these springs are and look for comparable ones, thanks!

Last edited:

bftank

Explorer
this is what the test fit looked like with a 30x9.5 wrangler gsa. it looks tight and it is, but there is so much backspacing on these wheels that when turned they pull away from the wheel well. on the test drive there was no rubbing so we will see.

Attachments

• minivan jeep tire front stock rear.JPG
    minivan jeep tire front stock rear.JPG
    161.9 KB · Views: 237
  • minivan front jeep tire.JPG
    minivan front jeep tire.JPG
    98.6 KB · Views: 183
  • minivan tire clearance.JPG
    minivan tire clearance.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 128

Jrally

Adventurer
You could install spacers on the front, strut springs are like any other spring, just a bigger pain since you'll have to disassemble the whole thing to put them on. The extra pressure on the spring when reassembled is what would give it lift. You end up giving up some droop for more compression. Or building a hard spacer between the strut top and the body shell, like I did on the Celica works well too, just more time consuming, costly.

-Jon

eagle1

Observer
you could also check what parts they use on the wheelchair vans because they get lifted to regain ground clearance after the conversion

bftank

Explorer
Got the cooper stt's mounted they work awesome. Stopped by the salvage yd and found a first gen cummins for $600, then my house caught fire and the balance was reestablished. Will post pics later.

montañes

Observer
luck and
fotografo.gif

irsa76

Oh god those photos of the voyager are funny, not that I can talk since I did a similar thing with my old '03 Grand Voyager! Ended up running stock sized Yoko Geolander H/T-S, had plans on trading it for an AWD version but mine decided to start puking things so I traded it for a Rav.

bftank

Explorer
turns out the van is a great little mudder as well. had to use it to check on injection wells for work, and we have had rain all week long. worked just like a tractor through some stretches where the road turned into mud 10-12 inches deep. no pics as it was at night and the drive home on the freeway washed off all the mud. did find the camera though, will post pics tomorrow of current tire setup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles