Ipad apps for Overland Travel

Airmonger

Adventurer
I went to a Boys and Girls Club charity auction last night, had a few drinks and came home with a 32 gig 3 g Apple Ipad. Its for the kids I kept telling myself.
I want to start a thread for people to share good apps that have uses for overland vehicle travel/camping or just plain good apps in general. So list any apps you have on your ipad that are specific to this websites theme and post it with a good description.

:just realized I posted this in the hardware section not the software section, what a noob!:

DaveM

Explorer
Most of the best general mapping apps have already been mentioned in a number of similar threads for the iPhone so I'll just mention one: Avenza PDF Maps:

http://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/avenza-pdf-maps/id388424049?mt=8#

It's a GeoPDF reader for all the iOS devices. Basically this takes any map that has been created as (or converted to) GeoPDF and allows the user to see their location on that map. You can also plot waypoints and add information, measure distances and areas, display coordinates of any location on the map etc. Most basic GPS functions.

The app is not really intended for long distance navigation and won't move from one map to another as you drive off the map. What it is good for is accessing special purpose map for large areas, say a national park map or a custom map of your particular route or destination. Or a paper map that has been scanned, geo-reffernced and saved as a GeoPDF. It has a lot of potential for allowing people in the field to have access to digital, geo locationally aware maps that are of a much higher quality than most GPS maps as well as opening up an easier way to get create and use custom maps for special purposes.

Oni

Adventurer
I like the TopoMaps app. Can download USGS topographical maps 1:24,000 scale. Very nice app.

I am a SAR member, if we have an assist somewhere I can quickly download the topo for that area, as well as areas of interest for camping/hiking/exploring. It also "stiches" adjacent maps together.

fjatl

Adventurer
the awesome thing about the iPad is that you really only need maps of where you're going in PDF form. Then put them into iBooks and you can view them whenever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94