Shock Absorbers?

sisu

Adventurer
Just out of personal curiosity what do you folks like for a good quality HD shock absorber on a 3/4 to 1 ton diesel truck?

My personal preference is Bilstein, but I'd like to see and hear from the rest of the crew here.

poriggity

Explorer
most 3/4 to 1 ton diesel guys run bilstein.. I am still running factory shocks, but won't be long for long..
Scott

locrwln

Expedition Leader
I use Rancho 9000's on mine, but I am controlling the sway on my barge.

They work for controlling the sway, but they aren't that great when empty. I would love to try something different, but since the truck doesn't see a whole lot of use other than hauling the camper, there just isn't much justification.
Jack

coder

I have Carli Performance 2.0 (customized Bilstein 7100's) w/Power Wagon specific valving. These shocks are available for most Dodge or Ford 3/4-1 ton trucks.

Here are some pics.

Attachments

• Front In Progress.jpg
    Front In Progress.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 5
  • Front Mounted.jpg
    Front Mounted.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Rear Mounted.jpg
    Rear Mounted.jpg
    520.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Rear Reservoir Mounted.jpg
    Rear Reservoir Mounted.jpg
    549.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Rear Shock Mounted.jpg
    Rear Shock Mounted.jpg
    608.9 KB · Views: 12
  • Shock In Box.jpg
    Shock In Box.jpg
    446.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:

chasespeed

Explorer
NOW, THOSE are great.... BUT.... they arent off the shelf...... IF I could justify the cost... OR, if I end up back in TX, or the southwest... Yep, those'll find their way on my truck....

Chase

bftank

Explorer
sure they are,(off the shelf), it's just a very specific shelf in the back corner, that you usually end up losing an appendage to get to! pricey but i like!

trying to sell my diesel dually now, but if it doesn't sell it will be getting bilstein 5100s or better.

1976K5Chalet

Observer
Although pricey compared to a standard replacement shock...the ride quality on a good resivor shock is a night and day difference. I run walker evans on my 79 k5...and once i get rolling (15mph) its a dream to drive in the dirt...cd player doesn't even skip...lol.

DW

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I switched out the Bilstein shock on my F250 for Old Man Emu shocks from ARB. A huge improvement.

angusdevil

Adventurer
I refuse to run anything less than a 5100 and upgraded coils. No reason to deal with a stock ride offroad. Currently I'm running a Thuren/Carli setup with 2.5 kings.

I actually had good luck with Monroe Magnums, but I have friends who swear by their Bilsteins. I currently run Rancho 9000 adjustables...me no likey. I may give Martyn a call to find out about OMEs for a Dodge. :sombrero:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94