New here, looking for some F350 ideas

nctacoma

Observer
what is the distance from the floor of the bed to the top of the utility bed, not including the tall cabinet? You might be able to just cut out the tall cabinet and then make a small platform to slide a slide in truck camper fit over the sides of the utility bed. It looks like it would only need to be lifted up 4-6 inches. If you give me the dimensions, I can check how tall my camper is from the bottom to the part that goes over the bedsides.
I have an f-350 flatbed with toolbox sides and I have a large slide in camper. The combo works perfectly.

PaulH

what is the distance from the floor of the bed to the top of the utility bed, not including the tall cabinet? You might be able to just cut out the tall cabinet and then make a small platform to slide a slide in truck camper fit over the sides of the utility bed. It looks like it would only need to be lifted up 4-6 inches. If you give me the dimensions, I can check how tall my camper is from the bottom to the part that goes over the bedsides.
I have an f-350 flatbed with toolbox sides and I have a large slide in camper. The combo works perfectly.

That would be awesome, the height of the normal cabinets from the bottom of the bed is 27", the big one goes up another 23" from there. The bed surface is slightly larger than 4x8, so plenty of room there, the bed is surprisingly huge, the scale of the vehicle makes it look normal but its not. The other weird thing about the truck is that because its a cab chassis truck, and the bed is seemingly made for a regular long bed truck, theres about 6-8" of dead space between the back of the cab and the bed.

Paul

chasespeed

Explorer
Thats a nice box....

What I would do, probably your simplest option, would be to make a rack, and put a roof top tent up there.

You CAN get some more height outta that thing even being a 2wd. I have a similar service body, on a S/D(though, not as nice and certainly not leak free), and even though its a work truck, I get into a lot of driveways where I wish I had some more ground clearance. The breakover is horrible on these, and these boxes are prone to... snagging stuff. The 4wds sit a bit higher, so... shouldnt be an issue.

Chase

PaulH

You CAN get some more height outta that thing even being a 2wd. I have a similar service body, on a S/D(though, not as nice and certainly not leak free), and even though its a work truck, I get into a lot of driveways where I wish I had some more ground clearance. The breakover is horrible on these, and these boxes are prone to... snagging stuff. The 4wds sit a bit higher, so... shouldnt be an issue.

Chase

I have noticed this, the long wheelbase does not help the breakover angle, neither do the aluminum running boards. I've been trying to find some front springs with a slight lift, since one of the stock springs is broken up near the top, but I haven't been having any luck. It'll probably just end up getting stock replacements with some spacers to get a bit more clearance. Also considering some slightly taller tires, could stand to have better gearing, the 4.10 rear it has is made for pulling houses off their foundations I think.

Paul

PaulH

Off the top of my head I know FabTech, and RCD make a lift for this truck...

Chase

Yeah I've found a couple like those, just seems that a 6" lift is overkill for our uses. I was sorta hoping for a set of front springs with a 2" lift, but it doesn't seem like anyone has that. Got to playing around with sketchup today, and found a decent F350 crew cab model

f350penndottruckcamper.jpg

f350penndottruckcamper2.jpg

just wanted to get a general idea of the space that could be had, set it up so theres about 6' 4" in the center so I can easily stand up, makes for quite the roomy setup. I figure I can make a skeleton out of steel tubing and skin it with aluminum...it all sounds easy :sombrero:.

That all is likely a ways off at this point, gotta work on making sure the rest of the vehicle is up to the task first.

Paul

chasespeed

Explorer
You'd be surprised about the 6 inches for height. I am not after looks, but, thinking merely in break-over, and approach/departure angles.....

Chase

PaulH

Yeah I suppose with the scale of the vehicle 6" isn't a big deal, I'll have to keep that in mind for the future. I'm coming from the world of small european cars where lowering them 1.5" is noticeable, so this all is taking some getting used to.

Paul

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
You'd be surprised about the 6 inches for height. I am not after looks, but, thinking merely in break-over, and approach/departure angles.....

Chase

ah, yes...and then add in the contrary tipover angle :)

ugh, it's always some devilish balance isn't it????

chasespeed

Explorer
The tipover angle in these heavy diesels isnt as bad as you'd think. Between the engine, and the utility bed, he has a very low center of gravity. I drive one of these every day. We also have a crane that rides on 33s or 35s, , 4wd, a lot of weight up high.... still doesnt feel tippy....

With a 2wd, he isnt going to get himself into too much trouble. These trucks are heavy.

Anyway, I am sure there are many that know this, but, this guy comes from the car side.... so.... its all new to him...

Chase

homemade

Adventurer
Yeah I've found a couple like those, just seems that a 6" lift is overkill for our uses. I was sorta hoping for a set of front springs with a 2" lift, but it doesn't seem like anyone has that. Got to playing around with sketchup today, and found a decent F350 crew cab model

f350penndottruckcamper.jpg

f350penndottruckcamper2.jpg

just wanted to get a general idea of the space that could be had, set it up so theres about 6' 4" in the center so I can easily stand up, makes for quite the roomy setup. I figure I can make a skeleton out of steel tubing and skin it with aluminum...it all sounds easy :sombrero:.

That all is likely a ways off at this point, gotta work on making sure the rest of the vehicle is up to the task first.

Paul

That plan looks great and do-able. I built a steel frame camper several yrs ago. It was a simple and easy project. I used fiberglass reinforced panel (not the Home Depot kind) for siding, it is very durable/strong and was much less expensive than aluminum. You have a good idea, good luck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior