A few questions about wheels

BCHauler

Adventurer
I am shopping for a wheel and tire upgrade for my F250. I would like to get black steel wheels in a 16x8-10 size, 8x170mm. There doesn't seem to be much out there. I have found some Pro Comp rockcrawler rims but they list a load capacity of 2000#. This seems low to me. Can anyone tell me a) is that too low for my application? b) do the stock aluminum rims have a higher weight capacity? and c) does anyone have some other sources for black steel wheels for my truck?

Thanks all.

SChandler

Adventurer
I've looked into steel wheels for my truck as well. What I've found is that most of the aftermarket ones are rated for 2000lbs. That is too low for a 3/4-ton or larger truck. If you scale you're truck, I bet you'll find that you currently have 3000-4000lbs on the rear axle and a similar amount on the front. With those steel wheels, you'd only have a 4000lb capacity per axle. If you want to put anything in the truck, they will be under capacity. I suspect that if you called Stockton Wheel, they could build you something with a 3000lb+ capacity in a 16" size. I haven't called them yet to ask because I have no intent to buy anything right now.

On the 1st gen Dodges, the steel wheels were rated at 3042lbs per wheel (to match the tire rating). I think the factory Ford aluminum rims are more like 3200lbs per rim. The rim will be stamped with the rating, most likely on the backside of the rim.

chasespeed

Explorer
Yep, I stuck w/ factory alloys on my Ram. I couldnt find anything out there that was close to the factory rating... I do believe the Ram forged rims were made by Alcoa....

Fords were made by another big name company, if not Alcoa...

Chase

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles