M416 Square Grouper build

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Any idea what the stock m416 trailer weighs? Looks like your build will be awsome.

I would guess around 400 lbs. dry, they are easy for 1 man to move around even with weight in it. mine w/o a lid should just be a little heavier. The weight and size are primary reasons they are so popular, well that and the versatility.

A

dinobody

Observer
I have been thinking of doing a similar build I have a 73 Bronco. What did you pay for the axle? What does the bed measure?

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
The axle came from ABC trailer parts out of N. AL, a common source for M416 custom axles priced right.

PC233802.jpg

PC233801.jpg

PC233800.jpg

PC233799.jpg

PC233798.jpg

PC223793.jpg

PC223792.jpg

PC223791.jpg

PC223790.jpg

PC223789.jpg

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
As you can see still some work left, my Dad was able to build the back with bondo and other fiberglass filler where the tub had been crunched (thanks Dad). I need to wet sand the tub front to back then use fiberglass glaze or fiber filler again and sand once more them primer then sand then paint (Toyota Millennium Silver). The fenders are just ok and I know I won't be able to fully restore them w/o more time but they add character, the trailer won't be perfect but the best I can do with a 40 year old trailer.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Look like we are getting there, today was a great day and while the trailer isn't perfectly flawless it looks damn good. I still need to herculine the interior but perhaps next week. I have a short road trip to test is all out this weekend.

P1053852.jpg

P1053847.jpg

P1053843.jpg

P1053841.jpg

P1053837.jpg

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
The Grouper is now road worthy and decided to shed a center cap (would appreciate if anyone had a FZJ80 cap lying around, send it on :)......), and the hardware for my replacement drain from midwest military which is now pretty much useless.

0a9d0712.jpg

3c361bf7.jpg

8f2ece2a.jpg

b9dd7e24.jpg

e5d4c249.jpg

4f96613b.jpg

Still to be done:

- bed line the interior of the tub

- do something with the landing leg whether an aftermarket lift leg that swivels or hi-lift oriented like I had originally planned.

- get some designs for a lid and start pricing that option

- add under mount courtesy lights to the underside of the frame, wire them for the trailer lid, add 1 behind the bottle opener.

- 1 lg sized or 2 regular sized deep cycle batteries with a frame and wired in.

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
I like the idea of a "courtesy light" on the bottle opener! :victory:

I was thinking green for the bottle opener and white for the four corners, using the maxxima 3/4" LEDs found on eBay and what I used as marker lights (in respect position colors).

A

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Now I'm working on trying to narrow up the trailer stance, I may have gone a bit overboard and ordered the axle wider than it really needs to be. The backspacing on the FZJ80 rims is perfect on the 4Runner but a bit much on M416.

Short of cutting the axle and rewelding it narrower I'm looking for Toyota wheels with a shallower backspacing.

A

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Trailer looks great!
I would keep the axle as is and widen the fenders,
You can always use table space for food prep, grill or to put the cooler on.

xcmountain80

Expedition Leader
Trailer looks great!
I would keep the axle as is and widen the fenders,
You can always use table space for food prep, grill or to put the cooler on.

Mark,

Thank You for the kind words, your probably right I gave it some thought after I posted and I really think that is the best thing to do. I'll have the trailer place take a look at em this week and see what is more feasible adding to the existing or making new units, also have to have them loo into making a lid because I cannot seem to get the other Military style trailer maker to call me back.......

A

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior