Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

snowbrock

Yes 05tacodoc, sorry, I figure that this is all 05+ expedition stuff, though. Unclechris, sorry about all of the questions. You mentioned the winch bumper, did you go with the ARB bumper? And you talked about replacing the UCAs? Because the 265/75 are rubbing them? Is it due to the lift? Also you talked about rear springs, which ones are you looking at, Deaver, OME? How did mileage change with the tires/ with the lift? So do you eventually want 2 sets of wheels (265/75 and 255/85)? Keep us posted on the wheel fitment experiments. Thank you.

UncleChris

Adventurer
snowbrock said:
Yes 05tacodoc, sorry, I figure that this is all 05+ expedition stuff, though. Unclechris, sorry about all of the questions. You mentioned the winch bumper, did you go with the ARB bumper? And you talked about replacing the UCAs? Because the 265/75 are rubbing them? Is it due to the lift? Also you talked about rear springs, which ones are you looking at, Deaver, OME? How did mileage change with the tires/ with the lift? So do you eventually want 2 sets of wheels (265/75 and 255/85)? Keep us posted on the wheel fitment experiments. Thank you.

No problem, keep the questions coming.

I got the ARB and put a warn 9000' with 125' of synth rope.

I am replacing the UCAs because the front end feels a little bit loose. With the 05 tacos, if you lift 3" you will lose the adjustability of the caster, tending towards looser feel to the steering. It could be that I am over-sensitive.

The rubbing is completely unnoticeable from the cab, and I think it only happens with the suspension compressed.

The 265/75s did not change my fuel mileage, or at least it was unnoticeable, on my commute with nolift+ stock bumper+ shell I was getting 18, that was in Silicon Valley commute traffic though.

With the ARB+lift I am currently getting around 15 mpg, 16 with bumper + no lift.

For rears, I need to get a custom spring pack. I have been considering the OME HDs that I talked to Jim at ARB about last fall.

The Deavers for the 05 will not work for me, I have too much weight with the shell and all of my adventure equipment in the back. I am thinking of going with a custom Deaver(or Alcan) pack.

UncleChris

Adventurer
FYI, American Racing was right. The 16X8 4.5BS AR23s will not fit without grinding the front calipers. Just barely though.

snowbrock

Thanks for all your help, UncleChris, another question. Did the 265/75's fit in the stock spare location? Did it take any alterations?

UncleChris

Adventurer
snowbrock said:
Thanks for all your help, UncleChris, another question. Did the 265/75's fit in the stock spare location? Did it take any alterations?

No alterations needed. Fit just fine.

scrmntaco

05TACODOC said:
Here's a few pics, truck and self...
The Tacoma is a good foundation, no?

TacoDog:
Hey, It's good to know about more stuff coming out for the 05+ tacoma. I love to show mine off, I plan on getting a front bumper to mount a winch to, but I also saw a portable winch, so maybe a proper rear bumper could allow it to work on either side. Here are the pics that finally uploaded on TS (they moved the thread to q&c):

ext1.JPG

comp1.JPG

That's cool that you want to build a baja ready truck. I'd like to do the same eventually but it will take a bit more money, time, etc. Maybe we could start a military team or get the Marine corps or Army to sponsor a vehicle. They have circle track racers but I haven't seen much on the offroad team which would seem more pertinent to me, especially in the desert arena.

By the way, that's a PKM, not an RPK. RPKs are magazine fed.

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
UncleChris said:
Cool welcome to the world of the 05 Tacos!

Got any pics?

05TACODOC,

How is your 05 Going? Any mods? Anymore pics?

Well, at 26,000 my stock BFG's are almost shot... :jump:
So, it's time for some new shoes and since I'm doing that I'll be "forced" to finally buy my lift :victory:

I've saved up for the DR CO's and Deavers ($1650 from Demello), now I am deliberating my tire choices. I am keeping the stock rims and am considering 265/75R16 BFG AT or MT's... decisions decisions...

I wonder if that 10 leaf pack Deaver setup will stand up to a shell and all my gear??? Or do I need a 12 leaf???

What do you guys think?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
scrmntaco said:
TacoDog:
Hey, It's good to know about more stuff coming out for the 05+ tacoma. I love to show mine off, I plan on getting a front bumper to mount a winch to, but I also saw a portable winch, so maybe a proper rear bumper could allow it to work on either side. Here are the pics that finally uploaded on TS (they moved the thread to q&c):

ext1.JPG

comp1.JPG

That's cool that you want to build a baja ready truck. I'd like to do the same eventually but it will take a bit more money, time, etc. Maybe we could start a military team or get the Marine corps or Army to sponsor a vehicle. They have circle track racers but I haven't seen much on the offroad team which would seem more pertinent to me, especially in the desert arena.

By the way, that's a PKM, not an RPK. RPKs are magazine fed.

Right on... PKM, RPK, SKS, AKM... I'm so confused :ar15:

That would be cool if the Corps would sponsor a baja team, but as frugal as they are I wont hold my breath. Now the Army on the other hand, they have the budget for such things... Hmnnn :rolleyes:

UncleChris

Adventurer
05TACODOC said:
Well, at 26,000 my stock BFG's are almost shot... :jump:
So, it's time for some new shoes and since I'm doing that I'll be "forced" to finally buy my lift :victory:

I've saved up for the DR CO's and Deavers ($1650 from Demello), now I am deliberating my tire choices. I am keeping the stock rims and am considering 265/75R16 BFG AT or MT's... decisions decisions...

I wonder if that 10 leaf pack Deaver setup will stand up to a shell and all my gear??? Or do I need a 12 leaf???

What do you guys think?

Everyone I have talked to suggested a Deaver custom set. The normal Deaver pack only gives you 1.5", and after a shell and a bunch o'stuff in the back you can decrease that.

My AALs are starting to squeak, so I am debating about whether it is time for custom leaf pack. If so then I can probably set it up for 33's and get rid of the pre-runner(headlights in the air) look.

scrmntaco

UncleChris said:
Everyone I have talked to suggested a Deaver custom set. The normal Deaver pack only gives you 1.5", and after a shell and a bunch o'stuff in the back you can decrease that.

My AALs are starting to squeak, so I am debating about whether it is time for custom leaf pack. If so then I can probably set it up for 33's and get rid of the pre-runner(headlights in the air) look.

I wonder how much it would cost for new shackles and custom deavers, has anyone done the chevy leaf setup for an 05? I know alot of the earlier tacoma models have that and much cheaper to go to the bone yard.

UncleChris

Adventurer
scrmntaco said:
I wonder how much it would cost for new shackles and custom deavers, has anyone done the chevy leaf setup for an 05? I know alot of the earlier tacoma models have that and much cheaper to go to the bone yard.

The problem is that the 05s have reverse shackles, that is the spring is above the body mount in the rear.

With the XJ(and with previous Tacos) I could get lift by putting a longer shackle on, that is not possible with the 05+ Tacoma. Here is a picture of a guys Taco from TTORA. He has a custom bumper that gives a clear view of the leafs.

I think that when Toyota designed the 05, they tried to make it as proprietary as possible. Look at the wheel fitment issues for example.

(BTW, this guy has a really cool bumper!!!!)

Attachments

• bumper3.jpg
    bumper3.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 1,059

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
UncleChris said:
The problem is that the 05s have reverse shackles, that is the spring is above the body mount in the rear.

With the XJ(and with previous Tacos) I could get lift by putting a longer shackle on, that is not possible with the 05+ Tacoma. Here is a picture of a guys Taco from TTORA. He has a custom bumper that gives a clear view of the leafs.

I think that when Toyota designed the 05, they tried to make it as proprietary as possible. Look at the wheel fitment issues for example.

:smileeek: Whoa!!! Where can I get a bumper like that? Bentup??? That is a really solid design, any more pics of that one around???

scrmntaco

UncleChris said:

Yeah that makes sense, so the custom leafs would have to just have more arch, I'm sure there are limiting factors to that as well, maybe if you cut the reverse shackles and welded on some non-reverse ones spaced farther apart.

scrmntaco

UncleChris said:

Yeah that makes sense, so the custom leafs would have to just have more arch, I'm sure there are limiting factors to that as well, maybe if you cut the reverse shackles and welded on some non-reverse ones spaced farther apart.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke