Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Hi Dave,

I noticed that you applied POR 15 to your undercarriage a while ago. How is it holding?

Thanks,

Jim

No good anywhere really, lots of peeling and fading and just an overall waste of time in retrospect, especially considering the price. I can't recommend it.

Rust Oleum semi-gloss black has been much better IMHO.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Just about the time you think a build is done, someone comes along with a solution to a problem that you've attempted to solve, but were never quite got right. I've been through some nav mount setups over the years and was stoked to meet the guys from BirdDawg Industries at Overland Expo. I'm all about supporting small American business and innovation, and these guys are making some impressive stuff. And FlipPac owners have some real treats in store for them as the guys at BirdDawg solve some of the OEM deficiencies inherent in the design.

Stay tuned as I install their Tech Deck, Mirror Riser and NEW "FlipPac Branch Deflector Proprod Stay"...

http://www.birddawgindustries.com/

tech deck.jpg

juicebox

Adventurer
Hey Dave, You should have a chat with Barlow about his mirror riser

That mirror riser was the first thing I bought for my '06... It's certainly worth every penny, I hated not being able to see anything on the right side at all. Visibility is vastly improved.

Rotorgeek

Adventurer
Love the Tech Deck

I have been using the Tech Deck for a few months now, and I love it. It's very secure and dose not vibrate. You'll get some if you put a tablet on a longer RAM arm, but no more than any other mount.

I currently have the same mount orientation, and I'm debating switching to a middle up for clock visibility. I'm just not sure if the left mount would be more obnoxious blocking the AC nobs.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Well shoot. Thanks to Trump I just dropped the better part of 4 bills to upgrade my circa 2010 Garmin Nuvi nav setup (finally...)

Nexus 7 tablet (32 GB) with Tab-Tite mount and Ram stuff for it and my iPhone, both going onto the Tech Deck... I'll post pics once it's all up.

http://www.birddawgindustries.com/home.html

And here it is all mounted up - the Tech Deck is super stable, really liking it with the Ram Tab-Tite mount.

IMG_6326.jpg

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Just when you think you're all done, things happen. Sometimes GOOD things.

Right now, the FlipPac interior that I built by hand circa 2009/2010 that was featured in the Summer 2010 issue of Overland Journal has been ripped out. Deleted.

A new player is emerging on the scene and has some AMAZING ideas and materials. The super strong but lightweight interior that they have designed, the options, and the modularity that they they will be offering FlipPac, SUV, Sportsmobile and other overland camper builders is blowing my mind.

It's going to blow yours too when it debuts at the 2014 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous. Pics here soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles