Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

JamesDowning

Explorer
Rigid SR-50 and SoCal Super Trucks brackets
View attachment 255413

Looks great, but how much light splashes down on the window and dash? My lights are located in a similar location, and they threw a lot of light on the windscreen and dash, turning any spec of dust into a vision-obscuring glowing orb. I had to put a visor under the light to keep the light up high enough. Hopefully yours won't have the same issue. It wasn't super obvious to me until I got out on a dusty dirt road late at night. Just something for you to look out for before hitting the trails.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Truck is looking good Dave. That drawer system is pretty incredible.

At this point, your most difficult challenge will be when to stop modifying. ;)

Any trips planned for the desert season? That truck is begging for a little Belizean mud!

Thanks Scott. I almost sold this a time or two, but I'm quite happy tinkering and improving bits here and there over time. Some folks drink scotch and smoke cigars, I turn wrenches and dream of the next mod. Big trips planned this year, no point doing all this work not to take her out and play :D

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Looks great, but how much light splashes down on the window and dash? My lights are located in a similar location, and they threw a lot of light on the windscreen and dash, turning any spec of dust into a vision-obscuring glowing orb. I had to put a visor under the light to keep the light up high enough. Hopefully yours won't have the same issue. It wasn't super obvious to me until I got out on a dusty dirt road late at night. Just something for you to look out for before hitting the trails.

We will evaluate that among other things very soon.

barlowrs

Explorer
Dave, you will find the snorkel also bounces a LOT of light back into the cab (the black plastic is very glossy). As you know, I have blacked out my hood, but as JamesDowning stated, if you are drving behind anyone, the light bar will make the dust kicked up basically a wall that you cannot see through. You will also find you have to clean your windshield VERY frequently, so make sure to have your fluid reservoir full haha.

And the best part, depending on the spacing between the bar and your roof, is that you may develope a natural speed limiter. With my lightbar, if i hit anything abave 70mph, I get a very nice reminder to slow down in the form of a very high pitched wistle as air rushes between the bar and roof...its quite lovely haha. You may not have this, I just got lucky and got the exact clearance to make it do that when I installed it.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Dave, you will find the snorkel also bounces a LOT of light back into the cab (the black plastic is very glossy). As you know, I have blacked out my hood, but as JamesDowning stated, if you are drving behind anyone, the light bar will make the dust kicked up basically a wall that you cannot see through. You will also find you have to clean your windshield VERY frequently, so make sure to have your fluid reservoir full haha.

And the best part, depending on the spacing between the bar and your roof, is that you may develope a natural speed limiter. With my lightbar, if i hit anything abave 70mph, I get a very nice reminder to slow down in the form of a very high pitched wistle as air rushes between the bar and roof...its quite lovely haha. You may not have this, I just got lucky and got the exact clearance to make it do that when I installed it.

Thanks, we're going to do a hood blackout and will determine best course of action for the other light bar nuances :)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Here's a shot by Bryon Dorr of Exploring Elements at our 2014 Toys for Tots event - new vinyl was a big hit :cool:

T4T by EE.jpg

And one I took with the Mule that shows the new vinyl and the Demello Offroad rear bumper

T4T 2.jpg

Next up: All-Pro APEX sliders and some new skids... All-Pro Offroad has a new aluminum IFS skid that we're keen to try on!

Last edited:

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
YodaTEQ has a cool new "TEQ" logo grill to upgrade the Safari Snorkel - very cool little item that all of us Toyota heads can appreciate, it's the small details like this really make a rig stand out IMHO.

YodaTEQ 2.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94