Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Same for the door latches? I've picked up a few rattles and squeaks over my truck's 75k miles and find that I have to keep a think film of silicone lube on the door seals to keep the squeaks down. I can't help wondering if I'm missing something (tightening up latches, new seals, etc.?) and its made me think a little more carefully about maintenance of things like the hinges and latches.

I use white lithium on the door hinges and latches. Visually inspect any hardware, I'm at 113k and have yet to find any of those bits loose.

dirtpro06

Wow, 196 pages! It took me several days but I finally got through it all. Thanks so much TACODOC for your time in this write up! I especially appreciate all the detail you go into with your installs - very confidence inspiring!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Wow, 196 pages! It took me several days but I finally got through it all. Thanks so much TACODOC for your time in this write up! I especially appreciate all the detail you go into with your installs - very confidence inspiring!

My pleasure, it's been a lot of fun. More mods in the works too ;)

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Ran the truck up to Saline Valley this weekend. Came in through the north pass and exited via the south pass so we ran some good distance at speed on one of the more notorious washboard roads in North America. Headed out from south pass to Lee Flats and on to Darwin and China Gardens - pretty good shake down cruise over 4 days.

My thoughts about the All-Pro APEX HD springs? These springs rock. Solid feel (but plush) and soaked up the washboard much better than the Dakars did when I ran this same stretch in January of 2013.

Very happy that I went this route!

This pic gives you an idea of the kinds of speed I was able to attain - this suspension was fully cycled on all 4 corners time and again ;)

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Glad to hear they are working out better. I'll probably be following suit in the future. The road condition now is far different than last year. It was just graded. I suggest further off-road testing. Maybe the road to the Racetrack from Ubehebe.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Glad to hear they are working out better. I'll probably be following suit in the future. The road condition now is far different than last year. It was just graded. I suggest further off-road testing. Maybe the road to the Racetrack from Ubehebe.

Gee, thanks for the advice. :rolleyes:

Aaron Wasson

In the rear with the gear
Doc, did you ever get the Helton installed? I know there was a post about you getting one, but I didnt see anything else in this thread.

Aaron Wasson

It is on my workbench waiting in the queue...

You were the only one with a running thread that mentioned installing one. I have mine in. Finished it this weekend. Im not sure what all you have under the hood, but the best place that I found for mine is on the passenger side up against the firewall.

Aaron Wasson

Got pics?

Had a feeling you would ask!

Photo Feb 23, 1 20 28 PM.jpg

I can get you pics of the connection also if you want them.
I wanted to keep things semi-tight as Im going to eventually place a ARB Double Pumper in front of the ABS system. Trying to conserve room.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior