Doc's 05 Tacoma Build Thread

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
We're doing some work with Allpro so I'd say that an LT along the lines of Brownie or Sean's machine isn't too far fetched at this point. Stay tuned!

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Special Announcement

A secret project is underway at a hidden skunkworks in Orange County CA that will be unveiled at the 2014 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous.

Revolutionary modular storage solutions that meet and exceed Euro-Spec "caravan" equipment are being developed for camper shells, vans, SUV's, FlipPacs, trailers and custom applications. Designed from the ground up for adventure travel in the harshest overland environments, these storage solutions feature über lightweight materials in the form of aluminum, composite and top shelf laminates. Stainless steel HD slides and premium hinges and latches set this product line apart from anything else currently on the market in North America. If wood is desired, Joubert Okoume plywood is used. Marine grade, certified by Lloyds of London for yacht building. Insanely lightweight. A sheet of 1/2" Joubert weighs less then a sheet of 1/4" regular plywood.

Made in California, minimum weight and maximum use of available cubic inches for properly organized storage is the goal of Goose Gear and Goose Off Road.

goose logo.png

http://www.goose-gear.com/

zscott

Adventurer
Goose Gear released their new offering at the 4th Annual SoCal Mountain Rendezvous. Without a doubt, it is the finest lightweight modular storage system available for any platform. Camper conversions are a snap with Goose Gear
>
View attachment 247778
>
View attachment 247780
>
View attachment 247779

Those look awesome. When I started building my roof racks I wondered why someone hadn't offered a drawer system made from aluminum extrusion. I even considered making some for my truck but decided I didn't need them. In a flippac though, I would be all over that. Goose gear should do well with this concept.

soonenough

Explorer
The OEM brakes are not sufficient for this truck as it sits (at GVWR approx 5,400 lbs now). Loaded up on the road it was a bear to stop in a hurry! So I added a set of slotted rotors and upgraded pads (and braided lines) - big improvement and being able to stop in an emergency is worth every penny!

View attachment 210725

Slotted front rotors by Stop Tech via Wheeler's Off Road
http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/...lotted-front-rotor-set-for-16-factory-wheels/

Power Stop Z36 pads
http://wheelersoffroad.com/product/pads/z36-truck-and-tow-metallic-front-brake-pad-set-2290/

View attachment 210726

View attachment 210727
Do you happen to have the P/Ns for the rotors you used? I tried the links you included to Wheeler's, but it looks like they've stopped selling brake components for the 05+ Tacomas (other than SS lines)...or maybe they just don't list them on their website anymore? StopTech's website lists the P/Ns for their "Sport" rotors as 126.44129SL (front left) and 126.44129SR (front right). I'm guessing that's what you used?

How do you like the Z36 pads after using them for a while? Have you noticed any more brake dust than with the OEM pads?

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Sorry, no PN's. Bummer Wheeler's stopped carrying them - I bet if you call Wheeler's they know the PN's :)

The pads are great so far, not really dusty either like I've seen with some pads. All in all, the brake upgrades (don't forget to upgrade the hoses!) have been money well spent and should be high on anyones list of priorities especially for a heavy offroad truck.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
In Europe a camper is a caravan. Euro campers are known for their high quality interiors while the US RV industry is known for craptastic interiors.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier