Grandpa's motorcycle tour

ashooter

Adventurer
I don't know much of the story behind these, other than my great-grandpa rode a motorcycle in this "tour" when he was about 19 or 20 years old. About all I know about the tour is that it started someplace in Kansas, and went at least to the Royal Gorge in Colorado. Not 100% sure about the year, but my uncle tells me it was 1912. I wish I knew the route they took! It'd be fun to retrace it today.

Edited 12-23-10: Unfortunately, I just learned that my uncle does not want these photos posted publicly. I'm leaving two of them here, but I will have to ask that the rest remain private.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0034.jpg

Last edited:

TreeTopFlyer

Adventurer
Great collection photos.

Sharp dressed bunch of gents. I am always impressed at the dress of people "back in the day". These guys are in full suits rock climbing. Have we just become acclimatized to air conditioning nearly everywhere we go? I sweat like a pig even when it's cool out. There is no way I could run around in full battle dress like that. These guys didn't have under armor, sweat wicking shirts.

I liken it to when my son(4yr old) and his friends go play in the lake when its winter time. They just don't know any better. We'll be on the shore just cold watching them play. Maybe since these guys never knew what 68 degree blown air felt like, being warm all the time was the norm.

grahamfitter

Expedition Leader
Photos of those times always leave me thinking I was born in the wrong era! Apparently I'm not supposed to ride my bike off road because it doesn't have knobby tires and I'm not wearing motocross boots and a neck brace.

Off topic ridicule...

I liken it to when my son(4yr old) and his friends go play in the lake when its winter time. They just don't know any better. We'll be on the shore just cold watching them play. Maybe since these guys never knew what 68 degree blown air felt like, being warm all the time was the norm.

If its 68 degrees, anyone can play in a lake. Winter is when you can drive your pickup truck across the lake to your fishing hole.

:peepwall:

Every Miles A Memory

Expedition Leader

If I owned this photo, it would be blown up huge and framed on the wall of my house! This should be the next cover for Overland Calendar!!

Thanks for sharing!!

Photos of those times always leave me thinking I was born in the wrong era! Apparently I'm not supposed to ride my bike off road because it doesn't have knobby tires and I'm not wearing motocross boots and a neck brace.

I've got to say that I thought the exact same thing. I was riding with a buddy in Moab who operates a motorcycle tour company. I've ridden my entire life, but never owned all the gear you see in the catalogs. I'm just too broke to spend my money on it.

Our first day we were getting ready to go riding, I showed up in my Old Navy cargo pants, a long sleeve shirt, had my camel back filled with water and some granola bars and had my helmet in my hand.

He asked if I was going to get suited up and I said "Yep, I'm ready to go." He laughed and told me there was no way I could ride all day in regular clothes.

I was totally dumbfounded wondering what different clothes were going to do to my riding abilities. Maybe I should have him go out riding with the Kansas Motorcycle club....LOL

Yes, I think we've become spoiled looking back at these images

Again, thanks for sharing

occhiolungo

What a fun trip! It looks like they are transporting a new Indian race bike in that crate on the back of the car. They may have started in Springfield (Indian factory), or at on of the dealers in Kansas. Several Excelsiors and at least one Indian, one Harley Davidson and maybe a Pope motorbike can be seen. Send me a note if you have time, I might be able to dig up more info on the trip or about the guys in the pics. There is some info about Wells Bennet available. Possibly it was Wells and Paul Warner that were carrying their race bike to an event in Colorado...

The date is likely 1912 or 13, that magneto in the 2nd to last photo was introduced in mid 1912.

thanks for sharing the pics with us.
Pete
www.occhiolungo.wordpress.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94