Using a Hybrid trailer as an onroad/offroad platform?

Piet

Adventurer
Hey Rick,

Like the unit you are doing. I would suggest the man door on the side and then a nose cone for storage. (and better mileage)

Kosmo

Adventurer
We purchased a Kodiak 214.
Unloaded Trailer weight 4069 lbs
GVWR 5500 loaded
Carrying Capacity:1,431 lbs.
Hitch Weight:373 lbs.
Overall Length:24'1"
Exterior Height:9'8
Sleeps:6-8
Fresh Water:38 gallons
Gray Water:39 gallons
Black Water:28 gallons

Planning on flipping the axles, or putting in an air lift to increase ground clearance.

Certainly won't be using it on rocky woods roads, but the test in my mind is something I can pull onto and off the beach in Baja without getting stuck.

Took it on a first test run, 370 miles, 600 kms to North Bay Ontario. So far so good. 12 mpg with the WK CRD.

Have since taken it on a few trips. Only real modifications so far have been to start ripping out the extra decor, interior skirting boards to reveal extra storage, curtain boxes, and start planning where to add extra shelving drawers.

This is not meant to be an off-road trailer, since we are planning on covering the Americas, most will be highway driving, but we want to be able to get it into some rougher places without destroying it. Will likely fabricate a steel, or aluminium rock guard, rock slide to go around plumbing.

WK Kodiak.JPG

Last edited:

Sersan

Xpedition Team
Here in Europe we don´t have a offroad market like in the US or Austrália, so, basically, if you want one you have to build it... but.... because of the heavy legislation it better to convert one rather then build it.

I'm in process to convert one, it will be try and error process :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz