Eezi-Awn 2.5M Awning mounts on an 80

womacje

Adventurer
I did some searching around and found out that not many people had posted how they mounted their awnings, so here's how I did mine attaching a series 2000 2.5M to Yakima bars.
photo-41-150x150.jpg

This is the backside of the aluminum case. As you can see it has an aluminum welt as part of the case extrustion, this is how the Eezi-Awn factory mounts attach, plus they use a bolt thru the bottom, like I did. I figured if the engineers in South Africa are going to do this, I should rely on the strength of this extrustion too! So I did. I didn't have a lot of time and I have lots of scrap, so:
1 I grabbed some 1.5"x2" tube and some 2"x2", cut it at opposite corners so I had a z shape.
2 welded it together so that the bottom edge of the z went under the case and the top edge of the z sat flush with the case top.
3 drilled a hole just larger than the welt into a piece of 3/16" bar stock
4 cut the bar stock into a triangle thats made by the verticle of my z bracket and the top corner of the awning case where the welt is.
5 cut a notch into my triangle piece so it can slide onto the welt,
6 then tack it on
7 drilled holes for the stainless U-bolt on the top z
8 drilled a hole on the bottom of the z for the bolt that will go into the case.
9 all welded up and paint is drying.

photo-150x150.jpg

all in all it didn't cost me anything and the awning is nice and secure. Note: if I werent using the Yakima feet as intentional contact points I would gusset the brackets to eliminate any flexing.

I have more images at Expedition Ops.

Equipt

Supporting Sponsor Presenting Sponsor of Overland
Hey Jeremy,

Great idea for the awning mount. Quite unique and it looks like they are pretty sturdy. Mounting awnings to Thule or Yakima bars is pretty tough, regardless of whose awning it is. Congratulations on a great job.

cheers,

womacje

Adventurer
Thanks Paul,
I figured not too bad for not needing to go to the steel yard or hardware store once. Like I said, I just followed the smart design that Eezi-Awn had.

Jeremy

Hey Jeremy,

Great idea for the awning mount. Quite unique and it looks like they are pretty sturdy. Mounting awnings to Thule or Yakima bars is pretty tough, regardless of whose awning it is. Congratulations on a great job.

cheers,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles