Mounting stock jeep rubicon wheels on my trailer hubs

ert01

Adventurer
I just did the hole saw technique on my XJ rims to get them on my 3500lb axle... I did the rough sizing with the holesaw and then used a high speed rotary tool with an aluminum bit on it to do the finishing and cleaning up. It actually turned out pretty decent and wasn't really that hard.

JMann2380

I went through this when I first built my prototype trailer. After MUCH trial and error... different hubs, bolt patterns, 2 brands of hub-centric spacers and headaches. I ordered a set from http://adaptitusa.com/ for $210 I think.

They will make them with whatever centerbore you need. So measure the spindle and call them up. Good people too with fast turnaround.

Keep in mind you will also have to get the shallowest dust caps you can find and hammer those into a cone shape to be able to get your Jeep center caps on.

But after those two things I assure you your JK wheel debacle will be over :ylsmoke:

JMann2380

Oh yeah, get them 1.5" thick minimum. If you can swing 1.75" with your axle with then that will give you some breathing room with the dust cap.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
JMann, it be helpful as a later reference to know what all you tried that didn't work, and to know what specs you ended up with.

Scoutman

Explorer
I'm curious about this as well. I have been trying to determine what width axle to purchase and one of the big hangups is getting the JK wheels to mount up and whether I'll need spacers or not.

If anyone has a means to get some dimensions and/or picts I would appreciate it.

For a 3500# axle hub, how long is the hub and how wide is the hub? (EDIT: I just read hub od approx 2.5", 1.75" tall, with 1.5" studs)On a JK wheel, how deep and how wide is the hole in relation to the face that would mate to the hub?

What I'm wondering is where the real hangup is. If you take the dust cap out of the equation completely that leaves the end of the spindle being part of a nut and a few threads sticking past the hub face. Could the lip on the end of the hub that the dust cap presses into be machined off to get the necessairy depth? I mean is the major interference the width or depth of the trailer hub into the back of the wheel (dust cap not included)?

Here is a build I had bookmarked from Pirate 4x4 that shows some of what we're all talking about and what this guy did to fix it. Now granted he was using TJ wheels (5 on 4.5") and not JK wheels (5 on 5") but I think some of the same things still apply. http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818289

JMann2380

Sorry guys, just got a chance to respond. The Pirate 4x4 thread is dead on. Here are a few key points.

1) The centerbore on the JK wheel is a smaller diameter than the hub center on the axle.

2) The off the shelf spacers/adapters for the Jeep are mostly hubcentric, making the centerbore on the spacers a smaller diameter than the hub center on the axle.

So basically you need to do two things. First find a spacer that has a larger centerbore than the trailer hub you are using. Next make sure it is thick enough that it spaces out the JK wheel enough so the center caps clear the dust cap.

Now I went a little different route than the Pirate guy. He modified his center caps whereas I modified the dust cap (and used shallower ones). We both used 1.5" wide spacers, however if we used 1.75" spacers neither of us would have had to modify anything most likely.

It took me getting the hubs, a set of Spidertrax spacers and my JK wheels in the same room before it made sense to me. Then I could see that he centerbore on the Spidertrax was too small so I ordered a custom set with a larger centerbore in 1.5" wide. But then I saw that it didn't space the JK wheel out far enough to clear the dust cap. But instead of ordering 1.75" spacers I just modified the dust cap.

Here are a couple of pictures.

Attachments

• 2010-12-04_08-52-12_64.jpg
    2010-12-04_08-52-12_64.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 85
  • 2010-12-04_08-52-20_606.jpg
    2010-12-04_08-52-20_606.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 2010-12-05_14-00-59_454.jpg
    2010-12-05_14-00-59_454.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 93

Jis4Jeep

Observer
I had to buy these for a friend i built a trailer for and was using stock rubicon wheels. They left Florida on Monday I got them Thursday morning I am in Cali.

http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_wheel_spacers.html

Also the companies that build you axles usually ask you to measure back of hub to back of hub. Then you give them the dimensions and they send you the axle.
However that can all be effected depending on your wheels and back spacing.

I also know people who just whole saw the center out of the wheels.

JMann2380

I had to buy these for a friend i built a trailer for and was using stock rubicon wheels. They left Florida on Monday I got them Thursday morning I am in Cali.

Also the companies that build you axles usually ask you to measure back of hub to back of hub. Then you give them the dimensions and they send you the axle.

What is the centerbore dimension on those Rough Country spacers you received? I talked to them and the measurement they told me would not work with either a Dexter or Reliable hub.

Scoutman

Explorer
Taking a hole saw to the wheels is fine if those wheels are going to stay on that trailer but if you ever want to use one of your JK's wheels out in the boonies then you may be out of luck. I would much rather modify the hub or have spacers. Spacers probably make more sense cause if you had a hub go out on a road trip, you can just go get another off the shelf somewhere and swap over the spacer.

I have a large lathe so I may just try and find the cheapest set of 1.75 or 2" spacers and then bore out the ID to make them fit over the trailer hub. I'm having the axle made (ABC trailer parts is about 45 min from my house) so I just need to compensate for the wheel spacers when I give them the dimensions.

Scoutman

Explorer

That is a pretty good price on spacers.

Jis4Jeep

Observer
What is the centerbore dimension on those Rough Country spacers you received? I talked to them and the measurement they told me would not work with either a Dexter or Reliable hub.

I am not sure since I dont have them my buddy does. I will shoot him an email and ask hm to measure them if he doesn't mind.

Like every one sais drilling out the center is not a big deal I just didn't want to ruin 2 brand new TJ Rubicon Wheels. Of course when I built his axel I had to wait for the spacers and measure to accomodate the difference.

Not sure how much money you want to invest into your trailer but NWoods gave you the link for etrailer and you can buy hub assemblies from there with bearings and all for 35 each thats 70 bucks for two hubs and then another 65 for the spacers. I know the spacers fit those hubs cause those are the hubs that used.

I hope I was a little hope.

Jis4Jeep

Observer
Oh then you can have your hubs match your jeep ! I wish I would of taken photos of the spacers and hubs but here are the wheels he picked up and like I said there was no way I was going to cut a whole in his pretty wheels but if they where mine I would of cut away!

IMG_1557.jpg

Last edited:

Burnsy949

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to check with others about my specific situation. I have an Adventure Trailer Horizon (2005) that I bought used. It has 5 x 5.5 pattern on the hubs (CJ pattern I believe) and I was getting ready to replace the hubs with 5x5 pattern hubs so I could run the same wheels on my trailer as the Jeep. (Probably AEV Pintlers). Anyway, it dawned on me that the rim center bore would probably not clear the hub diameter, and I happened on this thread. The hubs are similar to a Dexter style, with the EZ lube spindles - no particularly low profile.

My question is this: If I am already going to have to add spacers anyway (to clear the hub spindle) then I might as well run an adapter/spacer rather than getting new hubs, right? I found this company that can make the adapter I need in the thickness I need.

http://adaptitusa.com/5x550to5x500wheeladapter.aspx

The trailer has 35" BFG ATs 315/70/17), however, and I am concerned that with the spacers and more offset in the Pintler wheels, that my tires will be sticking way out from the trailer fenders. I also concerned about the additional stress on the spindles. What other options do I have (if any) besides running different wheels with bigger center bores?

UPDATE: Here is a pic of the current hub and wheel on the trailer. With the EZ lube cap, the spindle housing sticks out 3" from the face of the hub. Yikes. However, the current wheels seem to have very little offset from the hub, so I think the spacer with JK wheels will work out pretty well in terms of back spacing.

image.jpg

Thanks!

Last edited:

SamM

Adventurer
Yes, Adaptit is where you need to buy your spacers/adapters. Mine are 1.8" thick and the center is big enough to fit over my Dexter hubs. With the smaller cap my Rubicon wheels will fit just fine.

SamM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94