70 Series Toyota Land Cruiser:

CLK Foxhall

Adventurer
As a US citizen, is there any way to legally get/own a Toyota 70 Series? Particularly a 78/79 Series?

Also, is there something about a "25 year import period" wait?

Finally, any ideas about acquiring one,... legally,... & if not now - when?

TIA!

Cheers!
~CLK

haven

Expedition Leader
Toyota never certified the 70 series vehicles with the USA EPA and NTHSA. If you try to import a LandCruiser 78 Troop Carrier, you have to bring it into compliance with the applicable emissions and safety equipment within a set period of time (6 months? a year?). If you are not able to get the needed approvals, then the vehicle has to be exported or destroyed.

There are importers who specialize in bringing vehicles up to USA code. The process is very expensive. For a vehicle from the 70 series, this could mean crash testing to verify that the vehicle's bumper and frame absorb crash energy the way the government has mandated. This might make sense if you plan to import a large number of vehicles, but for a single truck it's way too expensive.

There is provision in the laws for importing a vehicle over a certain age. For EPA, vehicles over 21 years of age don't need to comply with emissions rules. For NHTSA, the vehicle age is 25 years. Since you have to meet both sets of regulations, the 25 year period is the rule you hear mentioned.

So if you can find a Land Cruiser 78 that was manufactured in 1984 or early 1985, you can import it without much additional expense.

Once a vehicle clears customs, it still has to pass inspection in the state in which you plan to register it. Some states are very lax about inspections. Others can be very fussy. California has very strict inspections for older vehicles, for example. So you might have to do additional work (or file petitions) to get the OK from your state DMV.

Occasionally you'll find a 70 series vehicle with a USA license plate. Proffitt's Cruisers in Colorado owns one. You might contact them to find out how they managed to do it.

Frankly, you'd spend a lot less money by finding a LandCruiser 45 or 55 in ok condition. These vehicles were imported to USA by Toyota, so they are legal. Then pay a company like Proffitt's to put fix it up, maybe including the installation of a diesel engine.

Here's an FJ55 in Atlanta for $1500 http://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/cto/2072527445.html
Here's one in LA for $1700 http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/cto/2066549811.html
Here's one without engine in Spokane for $650 http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/2071673245.html

Maninga

Adventurer
I've been speaking to Proffits about the 79 series landcruisers over the last few weeks. They've got a number of pickup bodies which they marry up to either a 60 series chassis, or can get a genuine 79 series chassis. By using a 60 series chassis, it gets the original vehicles registration and emissions standards applied. Similar process to how a number of newish Landrover Defenders are bought in.

With a 1HZ diesel, I was being quoted around 25-30k.

ForealBoreal

Observer
I've been speaking to Proffits about the 79 series landcruisers over the last few weeks. They've got a number of pickup bodies which they marry up to either a 60 series chassis, or can get a genuine 79 series chassis. By using a 60 series chassis, it gets the original vehicles registration and emissions standards applied. Similar process to how a number of newish Landrover Defenders are bought in.

With a 1HZ diesel, I was being quoted around 25-30k.

In all honestly 30k for a redone 79 is a steal....

BlueHZT60

Adventurer
I saw this on CL:

"*RARE* Imported 1985 TOYOTA Landcruiser TLC BJ70 2door 4WD 4x4 DIESEL - $2900 (SouthEast Portland, Oregon)"

In Spokane there are a number of HZ engines for sale (I8MUD site). A few more parts and you'll have your truck - legal in USA. Probably for under $10k.

As a US citizen, is there any way to legally get/own a Toyota 70 Series? Particularly a 78/79 Series?

Also, is there something about a "25 year import period" wait?

Finally, any ideas about acquiring one,... legally,... & if not now - when?

TIA!

Cheers!
~CLK

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
In all honestly 30k for a redone 79 is a steal....

It's cheaper than new. A new HZJ79 is $43,000 in Nicaragua. This is the #1 reason they weren't imported here rather than EPA/NHTSA, because it s hard to compete against something like a Ford Truck for around this price as well. There just aren't many applications in the real world in the USA for a 70 series truck.

Jelorian

Adventurer
I don't know anything about importing vehicles to the US other than it's a pain. Are these vehicles mostly coming from Australia and Japan? Any reason they can't come from country's with left hand drive?

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
I don't know anything about importing vehicles to the US other than it's a pain. Are these vehicles mostly coming from Australia and Japan? Any reason they can't come from country's with left hand drive?

Not as long as they are 25+ years old. I'm planning to bring my BJ73 (LHD) back in about 18 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles