Bad Elf GPS for Ipad...

cnskate

Adventurer
I have resisted the ipad temptation, till now. Which would be better for in vehicle use with the iTopo ap: a 3G ipad, or a wifi ipad with the Bad Elf GPS?

Hmm, I wonder if the windshield ipad Ram Mount would work well in my FZJ80?

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
I just got in the Windshield Ram Mount with my iPad wifi and bad-elf. I will report back after some use. So far I'm thinking the Ram Mount is the Cat's Meow!

Airmonger

Adventurer
Lets see some photos!

My Ram-A-Can ipad ram mount is surprisingly solid. It doesn't Vibrate as much as I thought it would and its already starting to blend in to the interior.

Speaking of pix let's see yours! I have used other cup holder devices and none have help up anything with weight well. Good to hear yours is working!

Though you would never ask.

badelf-1.jpg

Last edited:

Lostmanifesto

Traveler
Lets see some photos!

My Ram-A-Can ipad ram mount is surprisingly solid. It doesn't Vibrate as much as I thought it would and its already starting to blend in to the interior.

Speaking of pix let's see yours! I have used other cup holder devices and none have help up anything with weight well. Good to hear yours is working!

Jago

I did not know that, I was under the impression that the GPS required cellular data to work.

Be careful here - most mobile solutions (Symbian, Android and I think IOS etc) use AGPS - Assisted GPS that logs on and checks likely satellite positions to speed up cold starts.

they do this thtough your data plan.

They can normally be turned off (or won't work with no data/connection etc) and transmit/recieve very small amounts of data but can catch you out if you don't remeber to turn it off whilst roaming abroad! (Even Geotagging photos uses this!)
Cheers
Jago

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Be careful here - most mobile solutions (Symbian, Android and I think IOS etc) use AGPS - Assisted GPS that logs on and checks likely satellite positions to speed up cold starts.

they do this thtough your data plan.

AFAIK & from all that I've read this is not correct for the iPad in the US. The gps (as with most gps') have no additional fee for usage. Only time there is a charge via a cell plan is when you are connecting for web/email data and not the aGPS.

Airmonger

Adventurer
From what I have gathered you will probably have trouble with the AGPS in the ipad when you are in remote areas and canyons with poor reception. I think the Bad Elf goes along way in making the Ipad a Reliable GPS device instead of a toy that may leave you stranded. Again this has yet to be proven beyond a doubt but I like knowing that I am using reliable equipement.

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Yesterday I drove from Ridgway to SLC using my iPad wifi only and new Bad Elf GPS. My software of choice was Motion X Drive the iPhone version as you cannot download the new sweet iPad version unless you you have the iPad 3G version??
The setup was easy, but found out right off the bat that you will have to have an active hot spot in the vehicle to get anything more than the most basic map. Once I activated my Verizon Hot Spot the Motion X software came to life and the message on my screen about no live maps available disappeared.
The iUI was fun to play with along the route and well thought out, but the ipod section to play your music thru works only in portrait mode and we couldn't select our playlist so we had to play one song at a time.
Now for the Bad-Elf part of the deal! Over the period of 6-7 hours the software told me that my iPhone had lost its GPS signal and to make sure that the GPS had a clear view of the sky. Our iPad was installed on the windshield with our new Ram Mount and had a clear unobstructed view of the sky, or as much as it was ever going to have. This would happen every 5-10 minutes and got to be very annoying! I couldn't figure if this was the GPS or the software having a problem or both?
The other thing that I noticed about the Bad-Elf was with the charger. If you have ever seen the little GPS device you will notice that the with it connected to your iPad thru the 30 pin connecter you only have a very small mini usb port available to charge your iPad. The small mini usb port is located on the bottom of the Bad-Elf and at best provides a loose connection for charging. Combine the loose connection with normal driving and it is a challenge to keep juice in you iPad. Upon arriving in SLC we noticed that we were down to 57% power, but the charger had been plugged into the Bad-Elf all day???
So after the first day of use in a real world driving situation I would say not very happy with the Bad-Elf.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Thanks for that Ben. Hmmm will def have to think through this solution further. As it stands it won't be effective for my needs.

Was the iPod version a low res screen made to fit the iPad by doubling the size (ie. 2x setting)?

Having to use a Verizon hot spot would instantly disqualify it as a good off road solution IMHO.

Consistently dropping the gps is another disqualifier IMHO.

The charging situation would also need to be addressed. I guess jail breaking the iPad and using a Bluetooth gps is really the only current reliable way to use it off road. :-(

benedmonson

Disabled Adventurer
Thanks for that Ben. Hmmm will def have to think through this solution further. As it stands it won't be effective for my needs.

Was the iPod version a low res screen made to fit the iPad by doubling the size (ie. 2x setting)?

Having to use a Verizon hot spot would instantly disqualify it as a good off road solution IMHO.

Consistently dropping the gps is another disqualifier IMHO.

The charging situation would also need to be addressed. I guess jail breaking the iPad and using a Bluetooth gps is really the only current reliable way to use it off road. :-(

I just wanted for everybody to be aware that this might not be the "Magic Bullet!"
Yes you're right, you hit the 2x button in the lower left for it to go full iPad screen. This really wasn't a turn off as much as I thought it would be.
As for the Verizon hot spot, this isn't necessary if you download your maps, i.e. Topos before leaving home. It is necessary for live maps on Motion X though.
The signal dropping and charging thing are the deal killers for me!
Does anybody know if you can jail break an iPad with 4.2 installed. I'm thinking the same bluetooth gps will be the way to go!

reece146

Automotive Artist
It's hard to discern if these were software or hardware issues you were having.

Maybe do a similar test using different software?

tchughes

Observer
I have a jail broken wifi iPad that I use with Motion X and a bluetooth GPS which has worked flawlessly for me. When I plan on getting out and running some trails I generally have a planned route which I create in Google maps and load into Motion X. Also, I Motion X I download the map that covers the area I plan on exploring so no need for connectivity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz