Bad Elf GPS for Ipad...

teebes

Observer
Motion X doesn't list any 'supported external gps' units on their website, although if it's Apple Certified, one would hope it would work from the go. IF the signal was going in and out, I wonder if the software was bouncing back between the verizon mifi for agps stats.

I'd be curious to know what happens if you cache some maps, leave the hotspot off, and only use the bad-elf.

BTW, you're missing out if you're running the iphone version and not the true iPad 'HD' versions. Their GPS HD version works ok on the wifi only unit, unforunately there is a conflict with the Drive version on ios 4.2 (this wasn't the case, previously). Hopefully they'll update their app to be compatible soon.

Last edited:

teebes

Observer
I guess jail breaking the iPad and using a Bluetooth gps is really the only current reliable way to use it off road. :-(

So you're still completely dismissing the 3g version? The one version that actually has a GPS chip? It's been on par with my handheld and my in-truck nav which I don't even use anymore in lieu of the 3g rev.

Keep in mind folks, the upcoming ipad 2 will be out in a matter of months. New chips on the horizon :elkgrin:

off-roader

Expedition Leader
So you're still completely dismissing the 3g version? The one version that actually has a GPS chip? It's been on par with my handheld and my in-truck nav which I don't even use anymore in lieu of the 3g rev.

Keep in mind folks, the upcoming ipad 2 will be out in a matter of months. New chips on the horizon :elkgrin:
No. I already have a wifi iPad so jail breaking is the path of least resistance.

That said I'm also still not sold that a 3G iPad gps chip will perform as well as a sirfstar iii gps in all my typical off road travels...

Errant

Explorer
I just ordered a GLOBALSAT BT-359 for $18 shipped on eBay. Supposedly new, open-box. SIRF III, bluetooth, litium battery and car and house chargers included. I figured it's cheap enough to give a try with my wifi iPad.

redbeard

Adventurer
My question is, not to get anyone riled up...

If you are using a topo maps app, which has a resolution of 4-8 feet per pixel, how does the more accuracy of the gps help? I mean, part of the point of using a tablet is to be able to see more map and get better context of the area so you can make better decisions. Not to mention most vector data isnt that accurate either.

I've never heard of missing a turn in the wilds because one gps is 13foot accuracy and the other is 6 foot. Most maps aren't that accurate unless you're using something that is like 1:1000 scale, and most people navigate looking out the window and not at the screen.

So help me here, why does having a more accurate gps make a difference for vehicle travel? (I can get high accuracy for geocaching, surveying, military, and other uses).

I'm not picking on the Sirf 3 folks, I'm just curious.

*note - precise may be a better word that accurate, but I'm not going to think about it.

cnskate

Adventurer
I'm curious about the 3G GPS chip too. My main question is whether it will work inside the cab away from the windshield in my FJ80. I was thinking about the RAM mount. Any experiences anyone?

As far as accuracy is concerned, I've only been in a few places where it was really critical. In eastern Oregon I've had to drive by GPS literally because the the "jeep trail" shown on the map was barely recognizable on the rocky plain under the tall grass. It was nice to know that I was right on the track instead of plowing a new one. In the same area you would also come across 10 way intersections in the middle of nowhere. The extra accuracy meant not having to backtrack.

RETROFIT

Observer
iPad GPS ...

I have been using my iPad 3G in our airplane ( Hawker 700 ) with and without a Bluetooth Globalsat GPS. With the onboard GPS we do get a pretty good position once in the air and at altitude but we do lose the signal from time to time because of all the electronics in the cockpit and the heated windshield.

But with the Bluetooth one (jailbroken iPad) we get a position as accurate as our on board FMS and all that. The signal is very reliable and after 3 months of use never had a problem.

I am getting a new Bluetooth GPS on Monday : GNS 5870 MFI Bluetooth GPS Receiver this one is supposed to be fully supported on the iPad with no jail breaking required.

And for all those who think the 3G network is required for GPS accuracy well let me tell you that it is not the case as there is no 3G reception at 39 000 feet and the GPS still works fine.

My 0.02$

Pat

targa88

Explorer
I just got in the Windshield Ram Mount with my iPad wifi and bad-elf. I will report back after some use. So far I'm thinking the Ram Mount is the Cat's Meow!

Would be curious to hear how this holds up in the heat.
My experience with the suction cups in the heat = they tend to come off....

off-roader

Expedition Leader
I have been using my iPad 3G in our airplane ( Hawker 700 ) with and without a Bluetooth Globalsat GPS. With the onboard GPS we do get a pretty good position once in the air and at altitude but we do lose the signal from time to time because of all the electronics in the cockpit and the heated windshield.

But with the Bluetooth one (jailbroken iPad) we get a position as accurate as our on board FMS and all that. The signal is very reliable and after 3 months of use never had a problem.

I am getting a new Bluetooth GPS on Monday : GNS 5870 MFI Bluetooth GPS Receiver this one is supposed to be fully supported on the iPad with no jail breaking required.

And for all those who think the 3G network is required for GPS accuracy well let me tell you that it is not the case as there is no 3G reception at 39 000 feet and the GPS still works fine.

My 0.02$

Pat

Looking forward to hearing how well the gns 5870 works out altough imho its unreasonably expensive for a bt gps as most I've looked at are 1/2 that cost at around $50. I suspect this is mostly due to the apple approval surcharge and it weren't an apple approved gps it would be half that.:coffee:

SP Jon M3

Observer
I'm curious about the 3G GPS chip too. My main question is whether it will work inside the cab away from the windshield in my FJ80. I was thinking about the RAM mount. Any experiences anyone?
I have mine mounted using a RAM mount to the seat rail. GPS always gets decent-good reception. I typically get 16'-8' accuracy according to the topo map app.
web.jpg

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Will the GPS chip work even if you don't have 3g turned on? (You aren't paying for it)
The gps system in the 3G iPad is completely independent of the cellular service with the exception that the gps system can use cellular triangulation as an added way of improving its ability to lock in on it's location.

HMR

Rendezvous Conspiracy
Good to know. I was curious how well it works at altitude. Might make me look smart when the boss asks "what river is that down there?"

PS- I'm more amazed that you got a Hawker 700 up to to 39,000 feet. :sombrero: ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior