Bad Elf GPS for Ipad...

Ludedude

Adventurer
My question is, not to get anyone riled up...

If you are using a topo maps app, which has a resolution of 4-8 feet per pixel, how does the more accuracy of the gps help? I mean, part of the point of using a tablet is to be able to see more map and get better context of the area so you can make better decisions. Not to mention most vector data isnt that accurate either.

I've never heard of missing a turn in the wilds because one gps is 13foot accuracy and the other is 6 foot. Most maps aren't that accurate unless you're using something that is like 1:1000 scale, and most people navigate looking out the window and not at the screen.

So help me here, why does having a more accurate gps make a difference for vehicle travel? (I can get high accuracy for geocaching, surveying, military, and other uses).

I'm not picking on the Sirf 3 folks, I'm just curious.

*note - precise may be a better word that accurate, but I'm not going to think about it.

It's more than being precise: The SIRF III chipset can be the difference between having signal or not having signal. Clearly you can see the advantage of that, yes? I've used both SIRF III equipped and non-equipped units in the same canyon at the same time. One knew where it was, the other was just a fancy paperweight.

As to the precision question, you're right to a point. But in the desert it's not uncommon to run across two intersections that fall within the potential resolution of a cheaper chipset. Sure eventually you'll notice you're not on the right road any longer but if that can be avoided in the first place, why not?

off-roader

Expedition Leader
As to the precision question, you're right to a point. But in the desert it's not uncommon to run across two intersections that fall within the potential resolution of a cheaper chipset. Sure eventually you'll notice you're not on the right road any longer but if that can be avoided in the first place, why not?

Same applies on some regular trails as well. If you're not constantly watching your track on the gps, you might not find out your on the wrong trail until much later when getting back on the correct trail now becomes a dangerous proposition because of the terrain you've already crossed.

MrBurlingame

Hello all,

Been enjoying reading this thread. Planning a trip to Mojave in about a week and will be getting the ipad 2 in the next few days with the Verizon 3g chip. From what I've read here, it looks like the built in gps will work on the ipad, but just not as well or accurate as if I were to buy an external bluetooth gps receiver like the GNS 5870 MFI GPS BT Receiver (on ebay for $99)...would love to hear everyone's thoughts. Thanks!

On a separate topic, is anyone aware of a mapping app for ipad where I can download a trail with waypoints for Mojave directly, rather than iputting them all manually? This is my first time doing this, so pardon me if this is too basic of a question :)

JHa6av8r

Adventurer
Has anyone tried the Garmin GLO GPS? It uses both US GPS and Russian GLONASS systems. I little more expensive, $30, but seems to solve some of the issues I've seen discussed here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94