Using a Scooter as an Expo Vehicle?

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Curious if anyone is using a scooter as an Expo Vehicle. I know it's not really in the class of a Dual Sport, but curious if anyone has considered it?

Currently I'm rebuilding a 2006 Meitian MT50QT-2 50cc Scooter with an 82cc Big Bore Kit for commuting and short rides but why not consider it for longer, overnight trips?

Any thoughts?

cwsqbm

Explorer
I'd think the main issue with a 82cc scooter would be power, as in the ability to keep up with rural traffic. Pack on some camping gear and it would only get worse. Unimogs may be slow too, but they've big enough to be seen from behind and would survive a impact better too.

The other problem with scooters in general is the small front tire - not something I'd want to take down a gravel road.

Brunow

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHNJPSBSRKU&feature=related"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/ame]

We did it! In wintertime! :sombrero:

Last edited:

MarcFJ60

Adventurer
The guy below traveled the country on his ruckus. Awesome story. There is certainly a lot of romance to a slow, backroads adventure. The nice thing about a scooter is you likely wouldn't get stuck anywhere since you can pretty much carry it.

I would definitely want something like a ruckus though that could do 40+ and have some carrying capacity.
http://totalruckus.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=12143&start=0

Picture007-7.jpg

D

Deleted member 9101

I have toyed with the idea of going cross country on my QT-50... 30 MPH the whole way!!!!

rynosurf

Adventurer
"Just when I thought you couldn't possibly be any dumber, you go and do something like this... and totally redeem yourself!"

dumbdumber.jpg

womacje

Adventurer
I have heard about several people over the years travelling long distance on scooters. Personally, I like my butt, 2 wheels gets you in the environment, easily approachable for good and for bad. guys ride bicycles across the US and the world, not much difference between 2 wheelers except how mush you have to pedal/push at some point.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
The guy below traveled the country on his ruckus. Awesome story. There is certainly a lot of romance to a slow, backroads adventure. The nice thing about a scooter is you likely wouldn't get stuck anywhere since you can pretty much carry it.

I was just about to post about this guy too.

Sportsman Matt

Adventurer
Here's a pic of the scooter I'm working on, this is the day after I brought it home.

1289592847140.jpg

And here it is as of last night

1290465333339.jpg

:bike_rider: Figure I'll have it out for a test run by the weekend. Then the fun stuff to add and modify over the winter.:REOutCampFire03:

Jolly Roger

Adventurer
Earlier this summer my wife and I took a month off to ride our motorcycles up to Prudhoe Bay and various other northern destination. On our way to Prudhoe we stopped for gas in Coldfoot and were surprised to see a bloke on an old Vespa. We stopped to chat with him and he'd just been up to Prudhoe Bay and was heading south. He'd ridden across Canada and the USA on the Vespa and his ultimate destination was Ushuaia in southern Argentina. The poor Vespa was loaded down to the tits and the gear he couldn't fit on the scooter was stuffed in a large backpack that he was wearing while riding. Not my idea of comfort but he seemed to be enjoying himself. Anyone who's got the balls to do a trip like that on a Vespa gets my respect.

whatcharterboat

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Of course this thread would not be complete without a couple of shots of Team Vespa in the 1980 Paris - Dakar

2137.jpg

2139.jpg

2138.jpg

robert

Expedition Leader
I was hiking along the Blue Ridge Parkway near Asheville last year when I got out to the parking lot there was a small Honda (not a Ruckus). My friends and I were lounging in the grass having a snack when a young guy and his girlfriend wandered out carrying their tent, a couple of sleeping bags and a small daypack. They proceeded to load everything onto the scooter, hopped on and headed down the parkway. My friend that had driven commented on suddenly feeling inadequate in his 2500 series Dodge and each of us with an expensive pack, sleeping bag, etc. :xxrotflma

I do think it'd be cool to do a trip on one; especially a classic Vespa.

dieselcruiserhead

16 Years on ExPo. Whoa!!
I have a Honda Aero 80 that I bought for my wife to cruise around town. Its 1985 with only 400 miles on it when we got it - basically brand new - and the engine isn't even broken in yet! The only oil you have to change is the transmission oil at some point. The issue is suspension travel, most are only 2-3." It is awesome though and really peppy, but the issue is it tops out at 40 mph. It's basically a factory-bored out 50cc. It's sort of all acceleration until then, then like it hits a flat line (or perhaps a governor) its sort of done at about 43mph. So for that reason I'd definitely get a Ruckus in 125 or so, bare min (something that can get 50-55mph I'd say). I really like the 80's Honda Elites that are larger like 250 or so and still get 55+ mpg...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94