Dual Batterys ?

joker_fly

Hello

Im need info on how i can hook up 2 batterys in my car

I want to charge them both at the same time and use them at the same time No start and axulary (spelling?) battery

I only need this to drive my Winch in case of emergency (no engine running)

The winch needs 480 amp att full load so im thinking two 220amp batterys will give me a good 10min emergency drive

When the engine is off its off no power drain and when its on its on (200 amp generator) so as i said no need for second and first type setup

The reson i ask this is that i heard you can break one of the batterys if you just paralell them ?

Batterys will be the same amps and same year =)and brand

How would you hook them up

matt s

Explorer
For what you want parallel should be just fine. Connect the positive to positive and neg to neg and you should be set. Use heavy gage wire like 4/0. You already have the matching batteries part figured out.

You will get plenty of advice here telling you to do it differently with solenoids and switches and deep cycles etc. All good ideas, but expensive. Nothing wrong with a simple parallel setup.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
For what you want parallel should be just fine. Connect the positive to positive and neg to neg and you should be set. Use heavy gage wire like 4/0. You already have the matching batteries part figured out.

You will get plenty of advice here telling you to do it differently with solenoids and switches and deep cycles etc. All good ideas, but expensive. Nothing wrong with a simple parallel setup.
What Matt said, but it is terribly important that the batteries be connected battery terminal to battery terminal on both the "+" and the "-" sides, or you will eventually have problems.

joker_fly

Good info about the negetive thing dident think about that but when i do it make sense

That Warn product wont do me any good since i need 480 amp total and thats just rateded for 150 ?(or half that wich would be much more still) maby its good for japanese cars =) You need a heavy duty modell for 250amps

none the less im changing my main battery (start battery)adn adding 1 in paralell 220 +220 amp batterys (100kg in batterys =)

I guess this will work with the minimall amount of hassle

Antichrist

Expedition Leader
I prefer using an isolator so I never kill my starting battery.

However, parallel is fine, it won't "break" a battery doing that since you are saying they will be identical batteries of the same age.

Even if they are 6 feet apart 4/0 cable is way overkill. 1/0 is plenty large enough at 6'.
If they are adjacent so the cables are 2' or less, then #2 is plenty large enough since at most you will be drawing 480amps.

RoyJ

Adventurer
Good info about the negetive thing dident think about that but when i do it make sense

That Warn product wont do me any good since i need 480 amp total and thats just rateded for 150 ?(or half that wich would be much more still) maby its good for japanese cars =) You need a heavy duty modell for 250amps

none the less im changing my main battery (start battery)adn adding 1 in paralell 220 +220 amp batterys (100kg in batterys =)

I guess this will work with the minimall amount of hassle

A little late reply here, but I think you may be mixing up battery capacity (amp-hour) with current (amp)?

Almost any automotive battery would put out 480 amp by itself, though not for long (and with some voltage drop). You certainly don't need two 50kg batteries. However, chances are, those big batteries have a 220 amp-hour capacity rating. Meaning, with two of them, you can drive your winch for 1/2 an hour before depleting to 50%!

So, I'd suggest getting any two, good quality batteries of regular size, put them in parallel like others suggested, and they'll drive your Warn easily.

my question is why would you want to use the winch for long periods without the engine running?

i can see a few short example but none for longer use ??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz