Pork, Frozen Beef, and the Comb Ridge History Tour: November 2010

Moody

Needs to get out more
Determined to get one more jaunt under my belt for the year, I had planned on going to Beef Basin for Thanksgiving weekend. As per the norm, few people are willing to brave the cold this time of year, had family responsibilities, and some opted out of going at the last minute. Always up for an adventure, Nic (Willman) came along with my dad and I. My dad is retiring in a few months after 30 years with the University of Utah Hospital in Respiratory Care. He is legally blind, and walks with one of those canes with the red end, but is eager and willing to venture on random treks with me into the unknown. I am proud of my pops, he has worked hard, and done well for himself. I am equally proud to have him come along, despite his limitations with his eyesight.

We stopped in Wellington to grab a drink, and to visit the commode. After some jerky and a coke, we gave each other the thumbs up, ready to go. I pulled out onto the road, with Willman quickly on my tail. Turns out it was a Wellington Police Officer behind us, and he stopped Nic for failure to stop at the stop sign. Stopping there is subjective, as the stop sign is placed well before the junction, and requires you to pull way out before you are able to see well enough to make the turn. I stopped, and then rolled forward a few feet to ensure I was clear before proceeding. The officer told Nic, "I was going to get your friends too, they didn't stop either." Thankfully, Nic talked him out of it, as we pulled over just up the road, sitting ducks for the officer if he chose to cite us. Both Nic and I agreed to be more careful when driving through Wellington, a 4 horse town just beyond Price, Utah.

On the drive down, we encountered a San Rafael desert with little to no snow, so we thought we were in the clear for Beef Basin. We stopped in Moab, and my pops suggested we grab a bite to eat at the Moab Diner. After a quick meal, we stopped at Gearheads to snag a few bundles of firewood for the much needed fire that night. I went over to the sleeping bag section, and oogled over a few Western Mountaineering bags, and one I had my eye on for quite some time, the Puma GWS (-25) happened to be on sale for 40% off. After being harassed thoroughly by my pops and Nic, I caved and bought it...along with 4 bundles of dry wood. We made our trek south to the turnoff to the Needles District of Canyonlands where we quickly aired down and started our way over to Beef Basin. It was smooth for the first 10 miles or so, and quickly turned into a snowy, slick, and outright boogery mess. We stopped to listen to the weather report, which stated a storm was going to hit SE Utah Sunday morning. We all decided we had better make the tough choice to turn around and head out-further south to Comb Ridge.

Moody

Needs to get out more
dsc0146g.jpg

After setting up camp under some picturesque Cottonwood trees, we were spent from a day on the road, and decided to call it early. We got ourselves rolling quickly in the morning, and Nic joined up with us in the cruiser to mitigate fuel costs, and to enjoy each other's company. Our first stop was to see some ruins near Arch Canyon...

Some remnants:
dsc0103s.jpg

Petroglyphs (my pops and I)
dsc0096n.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
From the ruins, we decided to venture down the Comb Wash to see the town of Bluff, which was settled by Mormon Pioneers. It turns out that after an already arduous journey to setup a Mormon presence in SE Utah, the group, led by Jens Nielsen (an original pioneer who came across the plains via handcart trains), went over the ridge much further south than planned, and after heading back NE, stopped in the area now known as Bluff, UT...too spent to carry on to their original destination.

The Bluff Townsite:
dsc0107n0.jpg

dsc0108ny.jpg

dsc0110vw.jpg

And the tombstone of the leader in the Bluff Cemetery:
dsc0112za.jpg

KC: I stopped at the Fish Springs trailhead register to see what you wrote...it was gone...now you need to tell me what naughty things you wrote about me in there :)

Last edited:

Moody

Needs to get out more
After wandering around Bluff for a couple of hours, we decided to head into Mexican Hat to visit a friend of my Dad's, whose father owns the little pizza/RV/beer joint in town known as Valle's.
dsc0116ek.jpg

The walls are covered with coins and currency from all over the world...it is amazing to see that people have traveled from everywhere to see this little slice of land in Utah.
dsc0115tp.jpg

ttora4runner

Expedition Leader
Looks like you all had a good time.

Should've given you all the directions to a little know indain ruin in the area just SE of Bluff.

mph

Expedition Leader
Moody...great pics. Isn't this two years in a row that you have hit the Mesa in cold temps? It is becoming an annual ritual. Good for you! Great country.

Moody

Needs to get out more
MPH: Yes, December of last year as well...I can't seem to get enough desert love.

After visiting with Jess for a bit, and some free Diet Cokes for the road, we drove up to the Goosenecks SP for Nic to see. I wasn't all that excited about seeing them again, but I once again found myself in awe. I predicted a beige Dodge hatchback would be there, and a young girl would hop out and offer to sell us some Navajo jewelry to fund her science camp. As we pulled into the parking area, sure enough, a young girl climbs out of the beige Dodge and offers us some jewelry to fund her science camp. No, I am not clairvoyant, but the family is all over the area selling their wares.

Had Hilary been along, the cute little Dine' girl would have seen some more business...

Nic will have to put some photos here, as I was too busy with the shrimp cocktail to pull out the camera.

After a nice lunch perched on the edge of the 1,000 foot cliff, we decided to venture up into Valley of the Gods. We had heard rumors, shall we say, that Dave and Yosh (Adventureduo) were in VOTG, so we thought we would pay them a visit if they were in fact still there.

dsc0121zo.jpg

Just as Valley of the Gods does, it left all three of us scrambling to find the words...we opted for photos instead.
dsc0122b.jpg

dsc0125e.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
Our last destination was set to be Monument Valley, though as the sun was creeping towards the western horizon, we saved it for next time. With the pioneers to the area fresh in our minds, we thought it would be prudent to drive back to camp along the Comb Wash.

Stopping at some petroglyph panels...
dsc0126u.jpg

dsc0127r.jpg

dsc0129cu.jpg

dsc0132ux.jpg

The sun...saying its final words for the day:
dsc0137x.jpg

dsc0141z.jpg

Moody

Needs to get out more
On the Comb Wash road, we stopped and threw a few logs on top to use for firewood once we were back in camp. Nic, the closet pyromaniac, used his weed burner to start the fire:
dsc0142n.jpg

Before long, we were living it up:
dsc0153f.jpg

The sun turned in and we enjoyed the warmth of a crackling fire only a true pyro could build until late in the evening.
dsc0175y.jpg

A short, yet fun-filled and enjoyable trip. It was an absolute pleasure to have my Dad along, as he is very well versed in Utah History (coming from a history teacher) and was our unofficial tour guide, sharing his knowledge and folklore from the area, driving home the turmoil the early pioneers faced while settling the area.

My Dad commented numerous times on what a true gentleman Nic was, at all times. If you have had the pleasure of sharing a campfire with Nic, you know exactly what I mean...if you haven't, start making plans-soon. I am proud to call Nic a great friend.

Willman

Big thanks to Moody and Mr. Moody for a great trip. I'm truly honored to have a great friend like Moody.

The "Pork" in the thread tittle = Getting a ticket for doing a CA style stop......Oh well.....The Moodys felt bad so they gave me $20 and treated me to a great lunch in Moab. I now have a new love for stop signs!

Being from the Seattle area....this trip was new territory and worth every penny.

Well on to the pictures!

Newspaper rock was the first stop on the way to the Beef. Very cool place and a must stop if you are in the area.

DSC_0226.jpg

Beef basin rd. - Snow starting to impact the road.

DSC_0236.jpg

Beef basin rd. - Snow getting deeper...after checking the weather...we decided to head back out and head to the four corners area. Smart move! As the weather was very windy and snowy on the way home. We found camp late that night in the comb ridge area. We made camp and off to bed we went.

DSC_0241.jpg

The next morning....It was time to see the sites. So we left my rig behind and took the 80. Moody's 80 is one of the best setup around. Very nice ride...... Moody knew of some ruins right off the road by comb ridge. Another must stop with a quick 10 minute hike down the canyon (only 2 minutes from camp).

DSC_0243.jpg

DSC_0246.jpg

We visited the town of Bluff. Great town with a rich history. Then it was off to Mexican Hat then to the Goosenecks for lunch.

DSC_0254.jpg

The Valley of the Gods

DSC_0265.jpg

Railroad train rock in the background

DSC_0269.jpg

Back to camp along the comb ridge

DSC_0282.jpg

Basecamp - The first night was the coldest around 5-10 degrees. The second night was must warmer. The SpringBar tent that Moody had was top notch. Very nice tent that made those cold nights not so cold....The last night we had a huge fire along with some good Thanksgiving eats. The weed burner - The only way to go! When it is cold....the only way to start a fire!!

DSC_0295.jpg

Thanks again to the Moody gang for letting me come along.

This was a great look back at history with two of the greatest history teachers - The Moody's!

Last edited:

suntinez

Explorer
Awesome.

We were out there the same time, camped at goosenecks the first night and railroad train rock was in the background of camp the second night. Plenty cold! Jealous of that woodpile of yours.

I didn't know that butte was called that though until I read your report. It would've been great to have your knowledge as we wandered around in awe. I can see how it got the name "valley of the gods", I bet there are some amazing stories and legends in this area.

Great report as usual, thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94