help with tall and skinny tire size

alfio

Adventurer
hello all

shopping for new tires and i want to go taller and skinnier than the 31X10.5-15s i'm currently running on my 1992 toyota (hilux) 4WD. 31s are nice but ideally i want to end up with 33s for improved clearance (yes, a lift is also in the works). i'm not set on the 15" rims i'm using now (stock alloys, 15x8") and would be willing to move to a 16" rim if it makes sense.

the questions i'm trying to answer are: 1) am i better off finding some 16" rims to reduce rotational mass 2) or are there better tire size selections for 15" rims to get up to my desired 33s even if it means more weight.

i'd rather not get into the whole skinny vs. wide debate so i don't need any help there but i would like to get suggestions on what brand/model tire and (especially) size would be recommendable. it is important to keep in mind that this is a truck that sees lots of work and is often loaded up with lots of lumber, firewood, cement, etc. so load tolerance is a factor. thanks all

Last edited:

Rigged

Observer
Well, I know that 33x10.5R15 tires are hard to come by. I was just helping a friend out trying to look for some that are decent and could only come up with BFG KM2's.

Here is a link to another thread for 255/85R16 tires (33.07x10.4R16)
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24853

Just to throw a monkey wrench at you. A BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2 33x10.5R15 is 49lbs. and a BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2 255/85R16 is 55lbs. That is according to a quick check on TireRack.com as BFGoodrich doesn't post weights on their website.
Keep in mind that the 255/85R16 is load range E which can handle 3415lbs, and the 33x10.5R15 is load range C which can handle 2600lbs. All of this needs to taken into consideration.

matt s

Explorer
BFG makes 33x9.5's AT KO's and I have them and love them. HOWEVER if you tow or really air down you should look for the 10.5 versions for a little more stability in the sidewall.

As much as I like mine I think 10.5 might be an optimal compromise.

zags

BFG makes 33x9.5's AT KO's and I have them and love them. HOWEVER if you tow or really air down you should look for the 10.5 versions for a little more stability in the sidewall.

As much as I like mine I think 10.5 might be an optimal compromise.

I have had no luck finding the 33x9.50s. Many online retailers show them on back order or have removed them from their site.

MotoDave

Explorer
I really like my 33x10.5R15 BFG All Terrains, and will likely stay with the same or possibly the KM2 for the next set. I do agree that the size is becoming harder to find, as far as I know the options right now are the BFG AT and KM2, and the Toyo Open Country.

greentruck

Adventurer
As a longtime BFG user, I'm very happy with our new set of 255/85 R16 KM2s.

The load capacity is way more than you'll ever need with your truck, but that just gives you more range to play with the tire pressure. I've found that these are more sensitive to changes in pressure than previous BFG MTs -- or maybe it's because an 80 is just a whole lot more truck than I've been used to:)

Find a decent set of factory 80 alloy rims -- they paint up nice if the wheel finish is rough -- and you'll save yourself some pounds there. The factory steel 16x8 rims that we're currently running weigh about twice as much as the factory alloy rim, but I like em anyway.:coffeedrink:

corax

Explorer
If price is any consideration, I've found 15's to generally be less expensive (almost bought a set of 16" stock steelies till I saw the tire price). My 33x10.5x15 KM2s are nice on the street, rocks, sand, snow and just finished towing a trailer as heavy as the truck itself cross country with no complaints.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
I've run 33-9.50 and 33-10.50 BFG A/T's and 33-10.50 BFG M/T's on my '84 Xcab. The best tire for me has been the 10.50 A/T's, then the 9.50's, & followed distantly by the 10.50 M/T's.
The M/T's weren't a bad tire, they just didn't work as well in my use as the A/T's do. The areas where they gave up something to the A/T's were glaring and the areas where they were (supposedly) superior to the A/T's never showed up.

I've never had trouble getting either size, though they do usually take a couple of days for my local tire guy to order. I would expect more trouble in getting the 9.50's as they are not made as often as the others.

greentruck

Adventurer
ntsqd,
Interesting comparison between the BFG ATs and MTs. I started with ATs after they first came out in the 70s, then switched to MTs. Yep, two different tires, but MTs worked best for me.

On the other hand, the KM2 behaves to me like a hybrid of the two. Quieter than the MT, better performance on-road like the AT. I still don't have enough experience to render a final opinion on offroad performance. So far, so good on some relatively limited trail time.

Winter is arriving so will have my final judgment for on-road performance soon. I never had that much trouble with the MTs in the wet like some report, except under circumstances that would yield similar behavior no matter what tire you were running. So far, very happy with wet performance, the KM2 is better than the old MT.

PHXtaco

Adventurer
Keep in mind if wanting to go with BFG, the 255/85 R16 only comes in a MT where the 33X10.5 R15s come in both AT and MT.

redthies

Renaissance Redneck
ntsqd,
Interesting comparison between the BFG ATs and MTs. I started with ATs after they first came out in the 70s, then switched to MTs. Yep, two different tires, but MTs worked best for me.

On the other hand, the KM2 behaves to me like a hybrid of the two. Quieter than the MT, better performance on-road like the AT. I still don't have enough experience to render a final opinion on offroad performance. So far, so good on some relatively limited trail time.

Winter is arriving so will have my final judgment for on-road performance soon. I never had that much trouble with the MTs in the wet like some report, except under circumstances that would yield similar behavior no matter what tire you were running. So far, very happy with wet performance, the KM2 is better than the old MT.

That's quite the list of mods etc in your sig... Might be a good idea to add what kind of vehicle has these goodies... I assume it is a green 80 series Landcruiser??
Keep us posted on the KM2s in the snow! I want them for my next tire and love what I have heard, but no snow reviews as of yet. thnx

greentruck

Adventurer
redthies,
Thanks for tipping me off to my clueless sig line editing. Yep, it's a 1997 FZJ 80.

My expectations for the KM2 are that it'll be great in snow, still somewhat dicey on ice but better than the old MTs. Also, the 80 is my first vehicle with antilock brakes on all 4 wheels. This could be interesting from what I've heard.:)

Mike S

Sponsor - AutoHomeUSA
I am running 255/85/R16 Toyo M55s on my 80. They are a good match for the vehicle and conditions that I run in. Approximately 33" tall and probably equivalent width to a 10.5.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier