Overland H3T

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Well I just joined this forum and I figured I would post a little about myself and my vehicle. Im originally from Dallas Texas but now reside in Prescott AZ. Im very interested in overland expeditions and am looking forward to my first large trip. Im sure I will meet some great people here with awesome advice and knowledge. I own a 2009 Hummer H3T. It has front and rear locking diffs and an ARB safari bar soon to be fit with a winch. It has undercarriage protection a defender roof rack, a leveling kit with larger shocks and bumpstops as well as 35" BFGoodrich TA/KOs. Any suggestions for the truck would be greatly appreciated!
d0edc110.jpg

7999ee5e.jpg

63584_1417565324176_1383918620_1101614_2419314_n.jpg

IMG_3934-1.jpg

Last edited:

coder

Very nice truck, I like those H3T's, a dual battery setup and some more lighting maybe on the roof-rack would be useful.

dy_lon

Observer
I really like the H3's. I agree with coder. Add some more lighting up top. Check out Golights. I have one on my tahoe and it is pretty cool.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I say use it as is and as you learn the vehicle you will learn your needs and will hopefully be able to build accordingly.

Less is more. Great looking truck!

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
Thanks for the input! I have been wanting to add some more lights up top I think yall are right about that. Those go lights are pretty cool and definitely and interesting option. How much work does it usually take to make a dual battery setup?

evldave

Expedition Trophy Winner
Thanks for the input! I have been wanting to add some more lights up top I think yall are right about that. Those go lights are pretty cool and definitely and interesting option. How much work does it usually take to make a dual battery setup?

Pretty easy...

http://www.hummerxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13061

If you want two batteries in the engine bay, that's the way to go for mounting them. Then, you need to decide a few things:

Extra capacity (parallel setup) - Much easier to wire up, but requires you buy two batteries of the same brand, model, age. Can run more stuff before the battery bank runs out, but if you run too much, you can run your batteries down and not be able to start the truck.

Isolated starting - More complicated, but virtually guarantees you can start the truck. DIY setup requires a solenoid, some cable, and a fuse box for your secondary circuit. Easier is to get the National Luna setup (can't find the link right now), it's all pre-done, and an easy install.

On my H3, I use an isolator and run my backup battery on my trailer. I haven't mounted the 2 batteries in the engine bay yet (on my someday list, just have more projects ahead in line). I used a basic auto parts solenoid but if I was going w/a less ghetto setup, I'd use a nice solenoid like this ([ame="http://www.amazon.com/PAC-PAC-500-500-Amp-Battery-Isolator/dp/B001YIPXR2"]link[/ame]).

btw, I love H3ts, yours looks fantastic and has all the best goodies (lockers, protection, etc)!!

Chris Cordes

Expedition Leader
FlipPac! that would be so cool on an H3. I would sorta look like an old Gladiator I think.

http://www.adventuretrailers.com/page/vehicles/at_flippac/
Thats awesome! I had been looking for roof top tents and at truck bed covers but its hard to fine ones that fit. Thats a perfect solution to my problem. Now i just gotta start saving.....
Pretty easy...

http://www.hummerxclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13061

If you want two batteries in the engine bay, that's the way to go for mounting them. Then, you need to decide a few things:

Extra capacity (parallel setup) - Much easier to wire up, but requires you buy two batteries of the same brand, model, age. Can run more stuff before the battery bank runs out, but if you run too much, you can run your batteries down and not be able to start the truck.

Isolated starting - More complicated, but virtually guarantees you can start the truck. DIY setup requires a solenoid, some cable, and a fuse box for your secondary circuit. Easier is to get the National Luna setup (can't find the link right now), it's all pre-done, and an easy install.

On my H3, I use an isolator and run my backup battery on my trailer. I haven't mounted the 2 batteries in the engine bay yet (on my someday list, just have more projects ahead in line). I used a basic auto parts solenoid but if I was going w/a less ghetto setup, I'd use a nice solenoid like this (link).

btw, I love H3ts, yours looks fantastic and has all the best goodies (lockers, protection, etc)!!
Hey thanks! Sounds like it could be easy. Im gonna prolly look for that luna setup. Should make it an easier job

Err

Observer
Great lookin rig! Always good to see more H3T's around here. It was the first truck that Hummer should have built after the H1.

I love mine more every day -
h3texpo2.jpg

Larry

Bigassgas Explorer
Great looking H3T’s! Definitely the best of the “H” product family GM built. Too bad there weren’t many built. Not a big fan of the electric shift 4x4 though. That will be the first thing to give you problems on this truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier