Sportsmobile Sprinter 4x4

Scott Brady

Founder
Mercedes_4x4_Sprinter_9.jpg

I had the chance to test drive this Mercedes Sprinter 4wd and take a few images. Overall, I was impressed, and can see the application for the traveler intending to drive established routes in developing countries. Good performance on maintained dirt roads, sandy wash crossings, snow and light mud.

Mercedes_4x4_Sprinter_10.jpg

Alan driving the Sprinter

Driving the Sprinter is actually quite easy, and feels more like a .5ton truck than a large 1ton van. Shifting is easy with a light clutch feel. Steering has good feedback and trackability, especially given the height and weight of the unit. The camper load does a good job of keeping the 1ton suspension smooth and comfortable, yet still manages to control sway at an admirable level. NVH (Noise, vibration and harshness) is lower than expected with low driver fatigue given the intended application. Most of the vibration actually comes from the MTRs. The engine power seems adequate and should return 20mpg efficiency.

The bed is huge and affords monster storage below. I like the fact that the bed requires no set-up.
Mercedes_4x4_Sprinter_2.jpg

Lots of room in this thing and full stand-up height
Mercedes_4x4_Sprinter_3.jpg

Look at the size of those rear doors
Mercedes_4x4_Sprinter_6.jpg

This is where the magic is - a factory 4wd conversion - sweet
Mercedes_4x4_Sprinter_5.jpg

"monster" MTRs
Mercedes_4x4_Sprinter_7.jpg

Brush guard and a place to mount lights. Notice the recovery points too - nice touch
Mercedes_4x4_Sprinter_8.jpg

This is the only factory 4wd sprinter in the US, a pretty rare beast. The cool thing - you can actually buy this one!

dro805

Observer
i seen a 2wd sprinter SMB ysterday at mickeyDs , i also looked at the website and i seen a white ford that my shop has worked on but i wonder if they will make a ford transit into a SMB. i think it would be kinda cool

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
This is the only factory 4wd sprinter in the US, a pretty rare beast. The cool thing --you can actually buy this one!
There is, in fact, a second Oberaigner "factory" conversion of a NAFTA Sprinter . . . the Sportsvans Oregon conversion of Tom Tasso's T1N that I drove a couple years ago:

DSC02114.jpg

and wrote about here:

http://expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20766&highlight=4x4+sprinter.

Scott's right about the rarity of these rigs: Sportsmobile and Sportsvans Oregon each got to do one conversion before Mercedes told Oberaigner to stop selling the conversion components in the US and Canada. So the red Sportsmobile and Tom's conversion--both T1N Sprinters, by the way, and thus already 4+ model years' old (there haven't been any conversions of NAFTA NCV3s)--are apparently all the 4WD conversions we're ever gonna get with factory parts.

If you're interested in the muddled history of the 4x4 NAFTA Sprinter, there's a good article here:

http://www.sprinter-rv.com/2010/09/26/4x4-sprinters-in-north-america-the-unattainable-dream/

that also links to a YouTube video showing the off-road performance of Tom's Sprinter.

haven

Expedition Leader
Definitely a sweet Sprinter!

This camper is a 2006 model with 10K miles, $98,500. Being a 2006, it does not require ultra-low sulfur diesel. This makes it a perfect choice for trips to Central and South America.

I think this vehicle was built as a demonstrator and never sold. It's advertised on the Sportsmobile West web site. Scroll down close to the bottom of this page. http://www.sportsmobile.com/z-PO_calif.html

cwsqbm

Explorer
Its frustrating that MB won't let parts be sold to convert the last-generation models. While there's usually regulatory reasons for us not getting the cool toys, this one just appears to be pig-headed.

That SMB is cool, but red is more of a SEMA color than an expedition color. The fixed bed also takes away seating when compared to their more common "50" floor plan. Otherwise, I'm sure it would have sold a long time ago.

Scott Brady

Founder
is that margarita mx in the sink?:sombrero:

Yep. . . Alan is the king of making margaritas

I first looked at the 4x4 Sprinter back in 2007, and it barely ticked my radar, but driving it and spending a little more time in it really left me starting to feel the love. I suppose the build quality stands out most impressive, combined with the generous storage.

I could easily see someone buying this Sprinter, driving to Cabelas for a few supplies and heading immediately to Ushuaia. Thinking back, there are few routes I have traveled in Mexico, Central America and South America which would be impassable to this truck.

Topher Walters

Adventurer
This is such a sweet van. I have seen it in person at SMBW and I still like the boxy lines of this model as opposed to the newer Sprinters. The interior is really clean. Someone is going to get a great vehicle with this one.

On a side note I saw a silver Sprinter today on Hwy 1 in Santa Cruz that was slightly lifted and it looked to be 4wd. It appeared to have a solid front axle, with a awning and front and rear winches. It went by so fast I couldn't take a photo.

Riptide

Explorer
I still harbor a dream to convert my Westy Sprinter to 4WD one day. The layout cannot be beaten for usefulness and and versatility. Last I talked to Salem-Kroger, they were still offering to do a conversion...

This is what I had in mind:

Attachments

• 1228416218_2eb4d04566[1].jpg
    1228416218_2eb4d04566[1].jpg
    156.6 KB · Views: 350
  • Adventure2.jpg
    Adventure2.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 272
  • JamesandCookandIglhautand4x4---3.jpg
    JamesandCookandIglhautand4x4---3.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 255
  • JamesandCookandIglhautand4x4---1.jpg
    JamesandCookandIglhautand4x4---1.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 248
  • JamesandCookandIglhautand4x4.jpg
    JamesandCookandIglhautand4x4.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 235
  • normal_image011.jpg
    normal_image011.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 218

AdamK

Hi,
I been looking at the Sprinter for a while.
Interesting vehicle, so ideal for camping, etc,
Did you say the clutch was smooth. Is this not only a 4x4 but also a 4x4 with a standard transmission in NA? WOW, Can you clarify the transmission?
When is MB going to smarten up and bring these over, or let us import these on special order?
Or even better, when will the bureaucrats drop the US 25 year and Canada 15 year import rules, and let this continent join the rest of the world?
Help????????????????, It’s so frustrating????????

Scott Brady

Founder
Adam,

Very drivable vehicle, especially given the size. Call up Sportsmobile and buy it. I am so surprised someone hasn't grabbed this one of a kind rig.

cwsqbm

Explorer
Adam,

Very drivable vehicle, especially given the size. Call up Sportsmobile and buy it. I am so surprised someone hasn't grabbed this one of a kind rig.

I'm not surprised: (1) The fixed rear bed means there's limited interior seating - just the front seats. If it had a more conventional rear folding seat it be much more useful (although giving up a lot of storage space for long trips). (2) Its expensive. A full-customized diesel Ford 4x4 Sportsmobile could easy cost as much, but it'd have the color and interior the owner wants. (3) Its RED. It is was a more neutral, less SEMA-like color (say EXPO white), it'd probably be sold. Some people like red trucks, but they're a small minority.

AdamK

Scott,
I may have to buy it, because there is nothing else available this side of the Atlantic that suits our camping style and purposes.
I inquired with Lynn at SM and she was kind enough to send me some additional pics and as-build sketch of the vehicle. She tells me it’s an automatic transmission, …… not good. From your write up, I was left with the impression; the Sprinter had a standard transmission… “Shifting is easy with a light clutch feel”. It got me so excited.
I guess everybody has their own preferences for camp mobiles, but here is my take ;
1. color suits me fine, no issues there
2. Layout is not my first choice; I like the fixed bed at rear but would turn it sideways, and not install the wall of storage all along the full side of the vehicle, I believe this would also make room for a table and additional seat (seen it on some German van layouts)
3. Take out tv’s and microwave, no need for them when off the grid, install good quality diesel furnace and stove, ie keep things simple, and practical
4. Low roof with pop up roof would be more desirable for loading and unloading kayaks, and/or canoes, not sure how this high roof would work for us,
5. The price of 100k for 2006 model year is definitely a premium price, due to the rarity of the vehicle, I figure 30 to 35k over market value if vehicle was available in NA
For the above reasons I am doing a lot of hummmmmmming about this Sprinter.
My preference would be for SM to figure out a way to get me a clean Sprinter van, low roof, 4x4 with standard transmission, and will build it from there. I figure for 100k, SM can build it nicely, just the way we would like it. Let me know if its doable and I can wire you a healthy deposit for starters.
Adam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles