New Guy

WMDunkin

Adventurer
Just checking in here. Love the site so far. I am looking to take the Subaru in this kind of direction. I love using my Subaru for what it was made for getting muddy and being in the dirt. So on with the vehicle.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX

Primitive Racing Skid plates 3/16"
KC Day lighters (4)
Subtle Solution 1" spacers
King Springs 1" lift (to be installed)

Plans: get my springs installed and get some better tires.

STOCK
4179540297_fa0484e215_z.jpg

Subtle Solution 1" lift
5147063936_67d3c1b549_z.jpg

5147063700_e82e996f2b_z.jpg

5146460275_2b7c914f8f_z.jpg

5147063284_a3a39e0f0d_z.jpg

and Skid plates

41082_702752112578_60708473_37907574_1929922_n.jpg

61783_702751997808_60708473_37907571_5452657_n.jpg

41082_702752107588_60708473_37907573_6406852_n.jpg

41082_702752117568_60708473_37907575_2435707_n.jpg

41082_702752122558_60708473_37907576_8029858_n.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to EXPO.

I love the WRX hatchback I daydream of driving one from the US to Argentina. It would be very nice on some of the roads and beaches along the way.

Do you know what kind of tires Subaru was using on their offroad capable WRC FIA Rally car?

Good luck and keep us posted on trips and mods.

WMDunkin

Adventurer
Welcome to EXPO.

I love the WRX hatchback I daydream of driving one from the US to Argentina. It would be very nice on some of the roads and beaches along the way.

Do you know what kind of tires Subaru was using on their offroad capable WRC FIA Rally car?

Good luck and keep us posted on trips and mods.

Thanks, Subaru used BFG/Pirelli tires. The only thing is they are costly and hard to come buy new. I am looking at getting Firestone Winterforce since that is the most aggressive tire I can get that will fit on my car (225/55/17).

96discoXD

Adventurer
I've seen some guys running the firestone winterforce tires in the sno-drift rallye in Northern Michigan in the winter. Admittedly the big budget teams are running dedicated rallye tires, but the winterforce must hold up pretty well if the other guys are running them at all. My only experience with them is ice racing my Mazdaspeed3 on them. They were great while there was snow covering the ice, once we were down to polished ice I had no traction even with the factory LSD front diff! :)
Looks like a very cool project, if I were to do it over again I would pick up a WRX instead of the MS3 as much as I like what I already have. Welcome!

WMDunkin

Adventurer
I've seen some guys running the firestone winterforce tires in the sno-drift rallye in Northern Michigan in the winter. Admittedly the big budget teams are running dedicated rallye tires, but the winterforce must hold up pretty well if the other guys are running them at all. My only experience with them is ice racing my Mazdaspeed3 on them. They were great while there was snow covering the ice, once we were down to polished ice I had no traction even with the factory LSD front diff! :)
Looks like a very cool project, if I were to do it over again I would pick up a WRX instead of the MS3 as much as I like what I already have. Welcome!

good to know, I also know a lot of guys use them for rally cross. The Cooper Weather-Master S/T 2 is another popular budget tire. The biggest thing is I don't have the money to get smaller wheels or I could get General Grabbler A/T tires. Also I am limited to 27" with the factory struts, I will start rubbing if I go bigger. Lastly once I get my springs on I will have just about as much ground clearance as a standard jeep.

Last edited:

Needcaffine

I've had 3 WRXs, the latest one's an 09 same style as yours. I used to spend a couple of hours a week on dirt, typically finding its way onto dirt and forestry tracks. I've had a couple of troubles with it along the way from that which you may want to look at
- My front and rear bumpers have a nasty habit of falling off, or partially so. At speed over washboards, or slow going through large potholes, I've had the majority of clips & brackets either snap off or undo themselves. Not sure if you've got the inbuilt headlight washers or not, but the covers come off quite easily when this happens too (currently waiting for my replacements again). Angle of approach/descent is pretty poor too, especially the front bumper tends to get caught up quite a bit.
- Be careful around water. The air intake is at the front of the hood on the RHS. I've been through 6-8 inches of water before and had it suck water into the engine. The computer didn't know what to do when that happened though, thankfully shut the engine down before doing any damage but doesn't give any kind of warning on what the issue is when this happens.
- I used to have mine on 3 wheels quite often (1 in the air). Power delivery isn't a problem, but the creaking of the body gets a bit much sometimes. Sounds like something's going to twist/windscreen about to pop out.

The car's great on dirt and in mud, engine's a gem (when it's working, had multiple random unexplained electrical problems), is stable at speed and will easily tow 2500 pounds (done it a few times). I'm getting mine ready now for a 5000 mile roadtrip up the middle of australia, mostly highway and dirt roads.

Good luck with your build

WMDunkin

Adventurer
I've had 3 WRXs, the latest one's an 09 same style as yours. I used to spend a couple of hours a week on dirt, typically finding its way onto dirt and forestry tracks. I've had a couple of troubles with it along the way from that which you may want to look at
- My front and rear bumpers have a nasty habit of falling off, or partially so. At speed over washboards, or slow going through large potholes, I've had the majority of clips & brackets either snap off or undo themselves. Not sure if you've got the inbuilt headlight washers or not, but the covers come off quite easily when this happens too (currently waiting for my replacements again). Angle of approach/descent is pretty poor too, especially the front bumper tends to get caught up quite a bit.
- Be careful around water. The air intake is at the front of the hood on the RHS. I've been through 6-8 inches of water before and had it suck water into the engine. The computer didn't know what to do when that happened though, thankfully shut the engine down before doing any damage but doesn't give any kind of warning on what the issue is when this happens.
- I used to have mine on 3 wheels quite often (1 in the air). Power delivery isn't a problem, but the creaking of the body gets a bit much sometimes. Sounds like something's going to twist/windscreen about to pop out.

The car's great on dirt and in mud, engine's a gem (when it's working, had multiple random unexplained electrical problems), is stable at speed and will easily tow 2500 pounds (done it a few times). I'm getting mine ready now for a 5000 mile roadtrip up the middle of australia, mostly highway and dirt roads.

Good luck with your build

yeah I have they trial/service line for the power lines that I want to drive but I need to get everything installed before I tackle it. I know of a guy that solved the approach angle issues see pics below.

SSPX0292.jpg

SSPX0287.jpg

SSPX0286.jpg

SSPX0276.jpg

Welcome to ExPo! If you havent found it yet www.dirtyimpreza.com is your friend for offroad Subies. While I dont have it anymore I had a lot of fun with my 05 RS :) See if you can find a cheap set of gravel tires for it, you'll be amazed at the difference! I bought a set from http://teamilluminata.com/Shop/UsedTires.htm

Just take a look at my windshield. :D I love dirty impreza. Again with the used rally tires I would need to get new rims which I don't have the money for at the moment.

29690_665243919298_60708473_36836641_327435_n.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles