Tapered pick-up beds

sisu

Adventurer
I have Googled this question till I'm blue :Wow1: in the face and can't get an answer.

In what year did the US manufactures decide to taper the beds of pick up trucks from the cab to the tail gate for a more aerodynamic shape?

cruiserlarry

One Crazy FJ
I have Googled this question till I'm blue :Wow1: in the face and can't get an answer.

In what year did the US manufactures decide to taper the beds of pick up trucks from the cab to the tail gate for a more aerodynamic shape?

While I can't answer for every brand, Dodge started it in 1994 when they redesigned the Ram pickup. Most other manufacturers followed suit soon after with their next redesigns...

Hope that helps...:ylsmoke:

ExpoMike

Chevy/GMC was '88 with the body restyle. Really didn't think it was much until I bought a lumber rack for my '98 and when went to slide it in, it doesn't. Had to be lifted over the bed rails until it was where it needed to be and then it dropped right in.

chasespeed

Explorer
Yeah, you'll notice it when you see a dodge or a chevy, with a Ford cap on the bed........I believe the Ram, and 88up C/Ks, have the same taper, and cab height.... though, I could be wrong.

Chase

njtacoma

Explorer
88 Chevy

What everyone else said. I think the "new" style Chevrolets in 88 were the ones.

I remember reading in magazines (you know the paper things with the outdated pictures) about it basically being the end of the world...

...until everyone else did it, now we don't even notice anymore.

cwsqbm

Explorer
The only time I noticed on '98 Dodge was putting on a cover - each cross brace was a different width. I've never really looked at my '05 Dakota - its had a hard cover on the back since day 1.

rockbronc

Observer
This is what a Ford shell looks like on a Dodge:Wow1: It kinda bothered me at first, but now I hardly notice. Besides, I cant complain, it was FREE:elkgrin:

2804712290106590581S600x600Q85.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

chasespeed

Explorer
Yeah, I have an 8 foot cap for a Ford in my mothers back yard... to sight DID bother me, as the lines werent right... hell, they were just far enough outta whack to drive me nuts.... stayed on the truck for 2 days....

BUT, I the utility cap I am using now, I believe is from a Ford, and while the sides are a little wider than the bed in the rear, the door section fit... and its SNUG.... But, the functionality of this is far superior to the goofy looking Ford cap... NOW, if I could find a really slick 'glass ram cap for CHEAP or free, I would be all set....

Chase

sisu

Adventurer
fixed the bed taper

I don't know how many of you have the older NL and fight the modern tapered truck bed, but I got fed up with immediately. Today we got the camper out of the bed and cut the very rear column or stake area out of the way by 1/2+ inches on both sides. I wish I had taken pictures but alas I forgot to in the heat of the moment.
We own a 2006 Dodge 2500 8 ft bed truck. The bed taper from the cab to the tail gate and I found out when loading and unloading the camper it also tapered vertically RIGHT at the very end where the columns at the end meet the tailgate. Hard to describe but those two little upright column were a pain in the ***** and now they got trimmed, to the last 1/3 of the camper where it flares right at the very end can enter the bed with NO FRICTION and a ton of relief from us. IF you look at the photo below(I stole it from the net) you can see the white label off the guy's left well if that were my truck it's gone to the garbage bin. We cut out a pie slice from bottom to top then pushed in the material left over and welded it into position giving us additional room to load and unload the rig.

ram_open_tailgate.jpg

Last edited:

SLO_F-250

Explorer
Ive got a 99 F-250 Superduty, it is tapers plenty. At least an 1" each side. I notice mostly when my camper is on the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior