Photos of mid-sized vehicles - Post Here

T.Low

Expedition Leader
Nice rigs, guys.

After owning everything from F-250's, full size Broncos, FJ40s, Honda Accord Hatchbacks, etc, etc., I bought a one year old '98 Dakota with a 5spd stick and Flowmaster Exhuast and built it a little from there and put the Durango R/T 17" wheels on it. It was like driving a little muscle car pick up or something. What a blast.

S4010076.jpg

But then, after too many years of having to change out of muddy riding gear or wet white water paddling gear outside the vehicle in the cold rain of the Pacific Northwest, I finally decided it was time for a van (3 yrs ago). I like the 4x4 Sportsmobiles but really didn't want to drive a fullsize van. I like the Westy Syncro Vanagon (4wd), but VW ownership is not for everyone, including me. So I bought a midsize Chevy, an '03 Astro AWD w/ 55k miles.

IMG_1085.jpg

A month later I lifted the front 3 1/2" and the rear 4", went from a 27 1/2" tire to a 31" AT. Got rid of the Chevy directional wheels for the Chevy 5 spokes.

IMG_1613.jpg

Then regeared with 4:10's, locker in the rear, swapped in a 2spd 4wd Tcase out of an s-10 Blazer.

2.jpg

Discovered overlanding as an activity in itself, rather than just shuttling to riding and paddling areas.

TJOwyhee_001.jpg

Winthrop-ChelanviaFireServiceRds_05.jpg

TJOwyhee_073.jpg

Then I had the pop top installed. The top is prewired for solar panels, but I haven't bought any yet.

Poptop062.jpg

Poptop080.jpg

MemDayTwilighta.jpg

I still want to do bumpers, an exterior shower, and eventually raise the front another 2", the rear 1 1/2". I go back and forth regarding wether or not to finish the interior with cabinets. I really want to put this interior in it, but I do use the open space a lot. Still, I think I'm going to end up putting this interior in it.

02sm.jpg

After putting over 30k mles on it, I can't believe GM never offerred a ZR2 HighRider Astro like this. It's the absolute perfect all 'round vehicle for my activities and my family and the "midsize" of it is perfect.

Whoops; sorta got carried away.:smiley_drive: Nice thread guys, thanks.

Last edited:

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I have never seen an astro set up like that, great work on keeping it functional, and elegant at the same time.

Thanks, I appreciate that. When I change or modify vehicles, I seem to prefer making it look like "factory options", like always upgrading (or changing anyway) the wheels but "keeping it in the family" sorta thing.

And I haven't seen any other Astro set up like this either, actually. I mean, thanks to the internet, I know guys are lifting them, and it's easy to swap in a v8, but haven't really seen one set up for overlanding.

Along that same theme, Master Pull is located in my town, and the owner Emil has a GrandCherokee with custom off road bumpers that are powder coated the same color as the Jeep instead of black like every other off road bumper. It looks like a factory option off road pckge; I really like the way it looks and will probably do my bumpers and rock sliders that way. (I do need rock sliders, especially to double as running boards to assist in loading kayaks on the roof).

Jakes01234

Explorer
holy bad @ss astro van... that thing looks great, fantastic job on it.. how hard was it to swap in the T-case?
Hows the angles on the cv's?

98 mercury mountaineer (explorer). 5.0 v8, fulltime awd, crager soft 8`s with 31x10.50x15 procomp a/t`s,a roof rack and light bar but i dont have the lights on in these pictures. sorry no in action shots.

truck008.jpg

truck011.jpg

truck010.jpg

opie

Explorer
Saddled with ethanol fuel? Your mileage sounds about right running that "stuff".
In Oregon 10% ethanol is mandated. That is just over a 10% reduction in fuel economy.
I am working hard to get 12-14 mpg in my truck.

Aboslutely. We are blessed with the best that can be mandated/subsidized.

I really dont notice a drop between summer and winter blends here. Although I think its 10% year round. I know they are pusing for 15%.

opie

Explorer
T-low, nice looking Astro. From a practicality standpoint, the Astro makes an excellent starting point for a small-midsize expo rig.

T.Low

Expedition Leader
holy bad @ss astro van... that thing looks great, fantastic job on it.. how hard was it to swap in the T-case?
Hows the angles on the cv's?

Thanks a lot, Jake and Opie. I agree, it's very practical and thats why I can't understand why GM never branched out to different versions like Subaru did with their wagon.

The geometry on the CV's is very lax, no worries.

After doing a ton of research, i found that the NP233 should bolt right in, and it did, except for the fact that the clocking for the front output shaft was diferent enough to cause the drive shaft to hit the crossmember. Nothing 15 minutes with a plasma cutter, welder, grinder, and a shot of Rustoleum couldn't take care of.

AstroTcaseinstall191.jpg

AstroTcaseinstall194.jpg

AstroTcaseinstall195.jpg

AstroTcaseinstall203.jpg

AstroTcaseinstall206.jpg

The big deal could have been wiring the TCCM (transfer case control module) from the '98 s10 Blazer. I simply could not have done that. Fortunately, my brother in law is a professional mechanic and has an "All Data" computer program at his home garage. He was abe to wire it up pretty quickly. (I wanted the electronic system rather than the manual)

AstroTcaseinstall186.jpg

AstroTcaseinstall184.jpg

AstroTcaseinstall210.jpg

I got to admit; it's been nice getting out on group runs and getting compliments regarding the van's capabilities by guys driving FJ Cruisers, Jeeps, Pinzguars, Land Rovers, and Sportsmobiles.

Nice Mountaineer, Max O. I was always curious why there aren't more built Mountaineer/Explorers out there (other than the general lack of aftermarket farkles); they're a great platform to start with, there's no doubt about that.

Last edited:

chilliwak

Expedition Leader
Nice work you did on that conversion Tlow. Its those kind of custom modifications that make our off road vehicles ideally suited to our specific applications. I like the short wheelbase and raised suspension capabilities of you van. I bet it Rocks off road! Keep those pics coming!:rockon:

waynemaple

Observer
This has been a fun truck for me since 2007, not very impressed with the actual MPG,s,(from what the window sticker stated), But I can get about 16-17 mpg with the FWC Finch on back and loaded. I do tend to drive like grandma when the camper is on and the speed limit in Oregon is mostly 55-60 mph. That saves alot of fuel. The truck is almost stock 2007 GMC canyon Z71 crewcab SLE 3.7L 4x4, 3:73s, eaton locking rear diff, 31 BFG AT, Firestone air bags, Bilstein HD4600's (the best upgrade to the suspension yet), K&N Intake( never a problem with dust/H20) ,110 watt rear light kit, alot of little mods borrowed from EXPO and beyond. Overall I would recomend this truck, with a V8 offered now almost same gas mileage as 5 cyl. I plan to get skid plate package and AAL, 33's would be nice and also aluminum front and rear useable bumpers when they become affordable. I have 60,000 hard and trouble free miles with this Canyon so far...

Attachments

• Oregon beach.JPG
    Oregon beach.JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 295
  • HippyCanyon.jpg
    HippyCanyon.jpg
    628 KB · Views: 243
  • DSC05518.jpg
    DSC05518.jpg
    697.8 KB · Views: 262

diamondjosh

the explorer

Its only a 2wd right now but still working on it. So far have done front brush guard, tail light guards, 2.5 inch lift, and 31 inch off road tires. I have the roof rack and the off road lights for just haven't had time to install them yet. Plan on doing a 4wd conversion this summer when I have some time off.

Attachments

• ex1.jpg
    ex1.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 211

onelow1ton

Adventurer
I guess I'll add to this here is my 2011 v8 Colorado

First one is from yesterday of my truck and the wife's jk I had just got done putting the flat fenders on it
1f3f18ff.jpg

204dc2cf.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste