Photos of mid-sized vehicles - Post Here

4bytruckin

I have seen pictures of the taco'd Colorado more than 3 times on my facebook feed today. 4 times on Instagram in one way or another. It's getting attention.

6gun

Right....because facebook is the best way to survey vehicle reliability.
No, because bad exposure is your best tool in getting a manufacturer to make something right. Sometimes all it takes is a little publicity to solve an issue.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

Dalko43

Explorer
No, because bad exposure is your best tool in getting a manufacturer to make something right. Sometimes all it takes is a little publicity to solve an issue.

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

I don't dispute the notion of holding OEM's accountable for faulty products.

I am skeptical that a few facebook posts of bad apple vehicles are truly indicative of a model or brand wide problem.

Literally within 5 minutes of google searching, you can pull up examples of broken frames for just about any vehicle.

billiebob

just heard back from chevy, they have declined to repair the truck, due to my offroad trailer not having brakes and being 100 lbs over the 2k weight limit for trailer brakes per the manual.
There is the kicker for al of us thinking we can get away with exceeding the manufacturers spec.

shade

I don't tow offroad, but I do tow about 4,000 lbs occasionally around town with my 2nd Tacoma. It's all done within the manufacturer recommendations, but I'm still cautious about it due to the cargo and the relatively light construction of the truck. One of the things I think helps mitigate stress on the truck is a cushioned ball mount. It makes a noticeable difference in the usual jolts associated with towing, and keeping those impacts from hitting the frame and drivetrain can only be good for the truck.

http://www.convert-a-ball.com/ballmounts.htm

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I suggest hiring a lawyer. The Moss-Magnusson warranty act puts the onus squarely on the MFG. They must prove that your modifications caused the failure. Not the other way around. Same goes for operating 100lbs over the trailer brake limit. Brakes were not involved. They cannot blanket deny coverage for larger tires any more than they could if you didn't use the dealer for oil changes.

They will try to discourage you with various false information to avoid paying a claim.

shade

I suggest hiring a lawyer. The Moss-Magnusson warranty act puts the onus squarely on the MFG. They must prove that your modifications caused the failure. Not the other way around. Same goes for operating 100lbs over the trailer brake limit. Brakes were not involved. They cannot blanket deny coverage for larger tires any more than they could if you didn't use the dealer for oil changes.

They will try to discourage you with various false information to avoid paying a claim.
The insurer may also become surprisingly aggressive in pursuing the manufacturer. They don't want to pay, and they already have a legal department of their own. Of course, if they decide that "off-road use" isn't covered ...

DT75FLH

Adventurer
Bent that trailer axle pretty good.

Might be kicking a hornets nest, but what ev.View attachment 523717View attachment 523718

This is funny... i expect this on facebook, but not here as i assumed people here have a better understanding of gvw, gawr, and uvw...

the trailer has a GROSS weight of 2900 lbs...Chevy says i need trailer brakes in a 2k trailer...the trailer was weighed at a cat certifed scale fully loaded with water and 3 bundles of firewood and all the camping gear in side with the investigator from chevy...the trailer weighs 1k unloaded..and 2100 as you see it. people have posted that they have VIDEO and all sorts of things in facebook...the trailer has 347lbs pf tongue weight as you see it in the pic, full of water etc.

trailer is a ruger trailer, go look it up...make sure you understand the definitions first though

the colorado zr2 has a 5k trailer limit, and 770 lb tongue weight limit.i was well within those.

and anyone that can drive comfortable at 40 mph towing a trailer, with a truck that has maybe 6in of wheel travel in a hilly dirt road with large bumps is funny

its the greatest game of telephone in history

i have tried to educate some of Facebook but it is a losing proposition as many people keep posting that exact post, which is a lie. but it is easier to keep posting that then actually educating yourself.

Last edited:

DT75FLH

Adventurer
they also full inspected the truck... there isn't so much as a scratch on the undercarriage of the truck on the skid plates or anywhere,

the bump stops are not deformed and there are no scratches or dents in the cab showing the bed flexed up. like it would if i was bombing down a dirt road like where the raptors bent the rear frame by the bumbstops

1stDeuce

Explorer
People, please stop talking about this garbage. Colorado/Canyon owners, stop worrying.
Snowflake trigger warning: I'm going to be blunt. Harsh truths will follow. If you received a participation trophy as a child, please avert eyes and go back to watching Expedition Overland videos and shopping for flannels and khakis...

Whether you're in a chevy, ford, dodge, or mahindra, towing a reasonably weighted 3000lb trailer won't bend your frame, even if you're towing it without brakes and you hit a slight bump. The dynamic loads of towing FAR Exceed the static loads that ratings are generated with. Frames are plenty strong to handle the usual dynamic loads, and even the occasional mild "oops". This owner should be ashamed for trying to pass this off as a fault of the truck rather than admitting he drastically overcooked something and broke his toys.

I'm a pretty nice guy generally, but I'd call the owner a liar to his face if he was standing in front of me. This crap really boils my blood. Man up, admit you F'd up and broke your toy, pay for getting it fixed, and move on with life.

Would have been a far better "oops" story if the truth were told along with a video, instead of trying to pass off the blame. I'd bet the "mild bump" donkey kicked the back of the truch hard, and the trailer probably went practically into orbit!! :)

FWIW, Raptards, as they've been deemed, proved long ago that a truck with 6" of up-travel on the rear doesn't take kindly to being hooned over an obstacle requiring significantly more than 6" of sudden up travel. Something WILL give, and Ford pretty much told the owners that they were SOL and should perhaps take a class in physics if they didn't understand. They replaced VERY FEW raptor frames under warranty, if any, since there was no problem with the frames, only a loose nut. (Behind the wheel!)

As a mechanical engineer in the auto industry, and an occasional loose nut, and occasional gross overloader of trucks and trailers, all I can suggest is that the owner pop off the bed and have a frame shop straighten things back out. I'd have them check the truck's rear axle too, as it's likely cambered a bit from the hit. A frame shop can straighten that too, no need to buy a new one. It probably wouldn't even be that expensive...

TantoTrailers

Curious about the trailer your towing, and sorry if this was already asked before but I just cant seem to find it...is the axle on the trailer bent as well or is that just the angle of the picture making it look that way?

billiebob

Spool-Valve Damper
Found in: Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 1LE, Chevrolet Colorado ZR2

The seemingly simple spool-valve damper takes the trial and error out of passive damper tuning by permitting engineers to achieve the exact force/velocity curve they choose using known hydraulic equations. Spool valves, which consist of a spring-loaded disc acting as the lid of a topless cylinder, allow oil to flow through precisely shaped ports in the sides of the cylinder as the spring is compressed. The area of the port exposed to permit oil flow is a function of the force applied to the disc. The greater the force, the more area is exposed for oil to flow through. The shape, size, and location of the ports and the stiffness of the spring determine damping force. Spool-valve dampers vary in the placement of their valves, though the simplest varieties used on road cars locate a spool valve on both sides of the piston—one to manage compression and one for rebound.

Any chance it is related to the spool valve shock ??

Rapid compression, as you get coming out of a dip, would open the valve reducing the compression damping, allowing the frame/shock mount to bottom out violently, bending the frame..... at the shock mount.

I've been surfing since this post came out and found 5 Colorados with bent frames. The OP needs to surf the Chevy forums, I'm betting there are hundreds with the same issue. This is a design problem. Don't let some weasel service writer cancel yer warranty.

billiebob

ignorance is bliss...

People, please stop talking about this garbage. Colorado/Canyon owners, stop worrying.
Snowflake trigger warning: I'm going to be blunt. Harsh truths will follow. If you received a participation trophy as a child, please avert eyes and go back to watching Expedition Overland videos and shopping for flannels and khakis...

Whether you're in a chevy, ford, dodge, or mahindra, towing a reasonably weighted 3000lb trailer won't bend your frame, even if you're towing it without brakes and you hit a slight bump. The dynamic loads of towing FAR Exceed the static loads that ratings are generated with. Frames are plenty strong to handle the usual dynamic loads, and even the occasional mild "oops". This owner should be ashamed for trying to pass this off as a fault of the truck rather than admitting he drastically overcooked something and broke his toys.

I'm a pretty nice guy generally, but I'd call the owner a liar to his face if he was standing in front of me. This crap really boils my blood. Man up, admit you F'd up and broke your toy, pay for getting it fixed, and move on with life.

Would have been a far better "oops" story if the truth were told along with a video, instead of trying to pass off the blame. I'd bet the "mild bump" donkey kicked the back of the truch hard, and the trailer probably went practically into orbit!! :)

FWIW, Raptards, as they've been deemed, proved long ago that a truck with 6" of up-travel on the rear doesn't take kindly to being hooned over an obstacle requiring significantly more than 6" of sudden up travel. Something WILL give, and Ford pretty much told the owners that they were SOL and should perhaps take a class in physics if they didn't understand. They replaced VERY FEW raptor frames under warranty, if any, since there was no problem with the frames, only a loose nut. (Behind the wheel!)

As a mechanical engineer in the auto industry, and an occasional loose nut, and occasional gross overloader of trucks and trailers, all I can suggest is that the owner pop off the bed and have a frame shop straighten things back out. I'd have them check the truck's rear axle too, as it's likely cambered a bit from the hit. A frame shop can straighten that too, no need to buy a new one. It probably wouldn't even be that expensive...

you may be apologizing for your arrogance soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94