Photos of mid-sized vehicles - Post Here

TheFutur

Adventurer
My truck as it currently sits.

- all new rear suspension + add a leaf (2.5" of rear lift)
- cranked front t-bars 1.25"
- Leer truck cap + ladder rack for RTT

To do:

- new tires, 265/75r16 (32's) Cooper Discoverer S/T Maxx (about to order them)
- sliding drawer system in the bed, designed but not built.
-front + rear bumpers with tire carrier (far future)

vBKKY3q.webp

Y13HoKo.webp

JBThompson

Adventurer
I got rid of my Montero last year (long story, but I'm convinced that truck wanted me dead) and picked up this 05 Explorer Limited from the dealership I was working at and didn't really have any plans to off road it or anything. I mean, it's not really built for trails with the independent front and rear suspension. That said it came equipped with the 4.6 V8, full-time AWD with selectable 4HI/4LO, and rear limited slip. Plenty of power, comfortable, handles pretty decent, and with the 3rd row out of it there's a ton of room. My wife and I like to camp and we have been wanting to do some extended camping trips out to the western states and up to Canada so we've decided to build up the Explorer to handle mild trail duty and allow us to be completely self-reliant for several weeks.

She doesn't look like much right now but some of the upgrades in the works are a mild lift, 32" all terrains, dual battery setup, comms, interior and exterior auxilliary lighting, DIY storage system, fridge, cook stove, water supply, ability to carry extra fuel, etc. It's a long-term project, our first extended trip is planned for our 10-year anniversary in October 2018 and we'll be going through Badlands, Yellowstone, Redwood, and Moab. Should be a fun build.

FB_IMG_1470103734618.jpg

ExplorerTom

Explorer
She doesn't look like much right now

Don't get caught up with everyone's mega-capable rigs on this site. This Explorer, with a little lift and A/T tires, outfitted like you described above should be a perfect way to get out and explore with your family. There really isn't need for more. The best money spent on a rig is gas in the tank for a trip.

justcuz

Explorer
True Tom, well put!
I even think his initial plans might be over ambitious. Mild lift, traction adders and 32" tires would be my first modifications. Then play with it and see what you really need.

Last week I went up to our local mountains with my 2000 Suburban, mines mildly lifted, rear locker and 32" tires.
I can't do black diamond trails, but I still saw a lot of nice historical sites and got back far enough to see a bobcat.
I probably did 40 miles of dirt road exploration that day.
Then was blessed by an afternoon thunderstorm. A wonderful break from the 102 degree heat down in the valley!

Provider

First post! This is my "plain Jane" '97 Tahoe, 5.7, 4WD. First Chevy truck I've owned. Think I'm gonna leave her the way she is....maybe....Not!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

JBThompson

Adventurer
Been doing some camping and testing out our storage system the last couple weeks, figuring out what works and what doesn't. We have yet to install a roof rack but that will help tremendously as right now everything is just really cramped. Running our Coleman 5-day cooler for the time being but I still would like to upgrade to a fridge. The cooler does work well, but not having to buy ice would totally be worth it in my book.

20160828_112832_zpsaxkgjfy4.jpg

20160826_180955_zpsiwhxp0ix.jpg

20160828_121400_zpsmqqmb0yj.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles