Ford E350 V10 4x4 Build

BajaBus

Adventurer
Update: Had a very informative conversation with Zippie this morning and got some things clarified. Also got the battery boxes ordered from the Ford stealership as well as (3) Group 65 AGM batteries from Sears. Picking those up this afternoon. Also got the Battery Brain ordered.

I have an appointment with the fabricator at 1pm. Since we own retail business and are working 18 hrs day right now, I'll likely have him install everything since he's an offroad guy and knows how to do things right.

Now working on getting the fridge ordered.

Edit: Ordered the ARB 10800472 and ended up being best to just get it via instore pickup at the 4WheelParts right around the corner. I figure for the extra $30 I paid (after a coupon code) I'll have the assurance of being able to easily return it if need be.

Last edited:

ken78cj5

Observer
One of the best options for a "House Battery" is to use 2 6V batteries wired in series to give you the 12V that you need. The advantage of this is that you get twice the Amp Hours that you would get from a 12V battery.

Loopie

Adventurer
I'm just curious...what does the Stealership charge for a battery box? (cuz that would be an easy job for your fabricator friend)

wrcsixeight

Adventurer
One of the best options for a "House Battery" is to use 2 6V batteries wired in series to give you the 12V that you need. The advantage of this is that you get twice the Amp Hours that you would get from a 12V battery.

6 volts do make great cyclable batteries, but if you did a real comparison of 2 six volts to two 12 volt batteries of the same total weight, they would have nearly the exact same total amp hours.

The main advantage of 6 volt batteries is that they are true deep cycle batteries, and due to the volume made for golf courses, they can be cheaper. Many 12 volt marine/trolling/rv/"deep cycle batteries are just a crossover dual purpose battery and will not last nearly as long in a deep cycle application, as a true deep cycle battery.

The OP is using 3 batteries in one large bank. 6 volts batteries are not an option.

Bajabus, just wait to see how fast your engine will turn over when you have nearly 3000 CCA amps available for the starter motor.

All three of my batteries together probably have ~1650 cranking amps available, and when the engine is warm and my battery switch set to both banks, my 318 engine starts with the slightest touch of the starter.

Even when cold, with three batteries, even if the house is half charged, it cranks very fast and starts in under a second.

Sears does not really list much info about their DHP batteries. Since they are rebadged Odysseys you can look up the specs there.
http://www.odysseybattery.com/battspecs.html

BajaBus

Adventurer
She's going under the knife at the fabricator tomorrow morning! Rounding up all the parts today and then will install the 'battery brain' myself when it comes in.

BajaBus

Adventurer
Guys, got the batteries picked up.

Battery Group Size:
Voltage:

Cold Cranking Amps (CCA at 0 deg.F):
Reserve Capacity (RC):
135 min.
Amp Hours at 20 Hour Rate:

What do you recommend for an inverter?

Last edited:

wheels5150

Observer
Bajabus - congrats on the Van - I think lots of us were watching that Van on eBay. I was holding out for a diesel. I may hit you up for your fab POC as I'm just a bit south of you and will be working on my new (to me) van getting it ready for some trips next year. Good luck with the shakedown trip. :)

BajaBus

Adventurer
Bajabus - congrats on the Van - I think lots of us were watching that Van on eBay. I was holding out for a diesel. I may hit you up for your fab POC as I'm just a bit south of you and will be working on my new (to me) van getting it ready for some trips next year. Good luck with the shakedown trip. :)

Will do, man! In another month I should have a basis for knowing what I'm talking about. :sombrero: Anytime you want to stop by and look at the van, I bring it to work with me right off the 15.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Nice van!

I like the orange, brings back memories as a kid.

Do you (or anyone else) know what years the battery box is good for? Any concerns about water?

I too would love to check out your van sometime, and get the name of your fab guy (good ones are difficult to come by).
We are supposed to be in Baja in mid-January, maybe we'll run into you...

Congrats again on your van.

Toolman

Explorer
I was at West Marine buzzing around adding stuff up in my head that I want and I came across an inverter with a battery charger built in.. It costs about the same if you install both with less of a mess of wiring.. I'm sorry I don't know the model number right now.. I will call over there and find out what it is exactly but the Marine world swears by them. While plugged in to the shoreline they charge batteries without having an extra gizmo connected wasting space. They were saying something about sine wave vs. square wave technology, not sure which is better however I will find out. He said it was around $800

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
What do you recommend for an inverter?

That almost like asking what's your favorite color (smiley face crap)

So many choices... If you want ones for the low wattage items like DVD player, Laptop or TV the small inverters that plug into 12 volt outlets work OK.

Since even small inverters have a power robbing fan and most all that stuff runs on DC using a power converter brick. A better way to power them rather than an inverter, is a 12 volt converter.
Check out Radio Shack, Amazon or electronic Box Store etc .

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Laptop-Power-Adapter-Automobile/dp/B000EXVRSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292054846&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Laptop-Power-Adapter-Automobile/dp/B000EXVRSM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1292054846&sr=8-1[/ame]

Large inverter/converts/chargers/transfer switches/wiring/fusing etc are designed around defined power requirements.

Last edited:

BajaBus

Adventurer
Okay, the battery bank, 130amp alternator and inverter are all being finalized today. I got this inverter:

space.gif
21599167_widget.jpg

SUNFORCE 2500W Pure Sine Wave Inverter
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]2500W continuous power, 5000W peak [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]Pure sine wave, clean power [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Helvetica]4 AC outlets with single DC pass-through[/FONT]

RocKrawler

Supporting Sponsor
I had to google AGM because I wasnt familiar with the term - now I am on the same page. Noce rig BajaBus, orange would be my first choice as favorite color but since those are rare I ended up with red. Quick question for the battery experts since this has been a productive discussion; noticed all the recommendations for 3 bateries on the gas engine, would that be the same recommendation for the diesel equipped rigs, or should those go 4 since they already start with 2? Following this build...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier