Ford E350 V10 4x4 Build

BajaBus

Adventurer
Hi Guys,

A newb here; I'm Justin, married with three teenage children from Temecula, Calif. and the proud owner of an E350 4x4. A years-long lust for a Sportsmobile never quite happened due partly to cost (and I'm not saying they're overpriced) but mainly because I wanted a blank canvas to go with and lots of room to move around inside. Well, after watching eBay and Craiglist, we pulled the trigger about a month ago and here's what we got: (some of you might have even seen it on eBay)

post-959-0-10447800-1289315830.jpg

post-959-0-87249000-1289315863.jpg

post-959-0-34452200-1289315870.jpg

post-959-0-80895100-1289315876.jpg

post-959-0-97040200-1289315886.jpg

post-959-0-58570100-1289315941.jpg

Now the first thing I want to tell you is that Competition Orange is probably one of the very last colors I would have picked for such a vehicle. The drabbest grey possible is what I'd choose. That being said, the gawkers who like eye candy have a hard time getting their jaw off the floor on first sight. Anytime we park, there's someone at the door to tell us how awesome our van looks. Not exactly what I'm after.

Here's why I joined the forums: On December 23, we'll be leaving for 11 days in Baja which will be our first real trip in it. The first thing that happens tomorrow morning is it gets dropped off at a fabricator to build an aluminum frame in the rear for sleeping on top and storage underneath. It'll have a plywood deck on hinges with good access to do whatever we want underneath.

I need tons of advice, guys!

1.) We will install a fridge/freezer, LED lighting for reading at night and we'll need to charge small electronic devices and power portable DVD players at night. What type of battery situation should I do? Should I do folding solar panels or is the cost prohibitive?

2.) The 4x4 conversion meant losing some fuel capacity; it now only holds 25.5 gals. which could be a little problematic in Baja since we do get off the track. A good fabricator in town recommended just fabbing up a unit to hang on the rear left door to hold a couple of Geri-cans. What do you think?

I have basically 2-1/2 weeks to get alot of this done. We'll camp on some remote beaches south of Bahia de Los Angeles on the Sea of Cortez coast and go to some remote missions west of San Javier. We really want to be comfortable self-contained.

I wish I had more time but anything I can get done by the 23rd will be a bonus. I have hours of reading to do here and would certainly appreciate the guidance of old pros like you guys. :sombrero:

Edit: Here are some videos.

Last edited:

18seeds

Explorer
nice i saw this van on ebay. were you the winning bid?

If you get a chance can you take pics of the pop up? I believe the owner used roof cut out as the pop up.

Loopie

Adventurer
Loopie, on the other hand, LOVES orange:drool:
Tastefully done van imho with the orange and black.
It would cost more overall for sure...but how about a custom fuel cell under the back and move the spare to a swing away carrier on a rear bumper?

TroySmith80

Adventurer
Yeah, i saw that one on ebay too, and a video of it romping around some beach. Cool van, wild color for sure! Wouldn't be my first pic either, but it is pretty cool in it's own way.

The other guys will give better information, but for what it's worth here's my input:

If you had more time, i'd recommend something like transferflow fuel tanks. But just to be ready for your trip in 2 weeks, keep it simple! Jerry cans will probably be the way to go for now, just make sure you have a way to lock the cans to the truck, and lock the caps.

Solar would be great, but if you're going to be driving each day, or each couple of days, then your batteries can charge while you drive. Solar is great for extended stays though.

Projects always take longer than you think. 2 weeks is not much time. I'd do everything the simple way for now. Then after this trip, take more time to figure out the most ideal thing you want to do, if you want to make changes.

McZippie

Walmart Adventure Camper
Hi Guys,

1.) We will install a fridge/freezer, LED lighting for reading at night and we'll need to charge small electronic devices and power portable DVD players at night. What type of battery situation should I do? Should I do folding solar panels or is the cost prohibitive?

I wish I had more time but anything I can get done by the 23rd will be a bonus. I have hours of reading to do here and would certainly appreciate the guidance of old pros like you guys. :sombrero:

NICE RIG!!!

The above 'posted' advice to 'make-due' for the trip in few weeks and this stuff takes a lot of time, is spot-on.

I'll address your first question about batteries, for consideration when you have more time available.

Ford has holes drilled on the passenger side frame rail for two more batteries, using Ford OEM Diesel battery boxes. These battery boxes are available at a good discount on Ebay. Purchase two of them.

Consider purchasing 3 AGM batteries that are sized for the under hood battery box and the two frame rail battery boxes from Odyssey or Sears.

The conventional way to wire them, is to use the 2 frame rail batteries to power the house and use an isolator or solenoid, so the under hood starting battery doesn't discharge.
A better way, is to combine all 3 batteries into one bank, so all 3 batteries can be use for both starting and house usage. This is done with an automatic low voltage cut-off solenoid, that switches off all power from the 3 batteries at 12.01 voltage.

This type of system has five advantages over over conventional separate starting/house wiring schemes.

1. An auto cutoff of 12.01 volts saves batteries from low voltage damage.
2. No need to monitor the amps usage to protect the batteries from low voltage damage.
3. All 3 batteries are available for house and engine starting. (Read up on Peukert Law as to the benefits of a larger battery bank)
4. AGM batteries can be charged at a 'much' higher rate than Deep Cycle or Starting batteries. (faster charging)
5. Wiring is a lot simpler than conventional isolator/solenoid systems.

When you get back, post on how you plan on using your Rig and I'll give you my thoughts on solar systems, based on your usage. There can be a lot of money wasted on solar if your useage doesn't fit into solars very narrow benefit schemes. A generator or beefed up engine alternator(s) may be preferable.

Last edited:

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
Mine is an 02 v10 E350. I just put an extra battery in the rear with an isolator. I recomend and use an ARB fridge. They have a light inside and run for a week on a charge. Use it in the house when you have a party and keep it out of the van when you don't need it. Lights and electric is over rated. You don't need stadium lighting when camping and a small LED flashlights in the pocket is very usefull. Conserve when you can and every time the engine is run the batteries get topped off.
Keep it simple. Adventure trailer has a cool water tank with snozzle I wish I had and for fuel I'd just throw 3 jerry cans on the roof. Get metal ones if you can.

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I completely agree with most of what is above...
Using the Ford factory battery holders is great as I have never banged mine on anything.
Sears Platinum batteries are the Odysseys rebranded.

I travel baja also and I am pretty sure 25 gals will get you by if you stop freq for fuel. I agree that rushing to have something on your back bumper fabbed is a bad idea.
However since you are in Cali why not just go to Aluminess and get the bumpers that they spec for SMB?
Yeah they are not cheap but they are worth every penny.
I love the big box on the back as I can put in Jerry cans or my propane tank & fire pit or pretty much anything else and it is lockable. And it handles high speed washboard like Baja. I would get the biggest box they have, you will love the storage (don't forget the recovery gear storage inside the bumper).
Also having the back tire on the swingout means later you can do the underfloor storage and get even more space.

If it really came down to it I would just strap down Jerry cans inside the rig (lots of people around the world do this with quality cans with no issues...I have done it many time before), pack it full of gear and just go, let the trip tell you what you need.

BajaBus

Adventurer
Guys, thanks for the very kind words and advice! :wings:

I will reply to each post individually to ask more questions and get clarification. To say that I am relieved and delighted to have found this resource is an understatement!

BajaBus

Adventurer
nice i saw this van on ebay. were you the winning bid?

If you get a chance can you take pics of the pop up? I believe the owner used roof cut out as the pop up.

Yeah, I won it on eBay. The guy was very disappointed with what he got for it but needed the money. Now I see he has another rig he's selling. Here's the only pic I have of the pop-up from the inside. I just dropped her off at the fabricator but will get any others that you want later.

post-959-0-53623600-1289315930.jpg

BajaBus

Adventurer
Loopie, on the other hand, LOVES orange:drool:
Tastefully done van imho with the orange and black.
It would cost more overall for sure...but how about a custom fuel cell under the back and move the spare to a swing away carrier on a rear bumper?

Thanks, man. The orange grabs you, that's for sure!

I definitely though of the fuel cell where the existing tank is now but I have a '90 Suburban (and yes, she's very jealous of the new rig) where I did that and I don't like having to swing it open to get into the back. I'm afraid that would be even more of an issue with this van because we'll need in the back so often. We'll know more after this first trip down whether a permenant fuel cell will be needed. The neat thing is that the fabricator also recommended recessing one under the sleeping deck down in the floor. Since there's so much room back there, we can make it wide, long, and low and still have lots of capacity. It's something to think about.

BajaBus

Adventurer
Yeah, i saw that one on ebay too, and a video of it romping around some beach. Cool van, wild color for sure! Wouldn't be my first pic either, but it is pretty cool in it's own way.

The other guys will give better information, but for what it's worth here's my input:

If you had more time, i'd recommend something like transferflow fuel tanks. But just to be ready for your trip in 2 weeks, keep it simple! Jerry cans will probably be the way to go for now, just make sure you have a way to lock the cans to the truck, and lock the caps.

Solar would be great, but if you're going to be driving each day, or each couple of days, then your batteries can charge while you drive. Solar is great for extended stays though.

Projects always take longer than you think. 2 weeks is not much time. I'd do everything the simple way for now. Then after this trip, take more time to figure out the most ideal thing you want to do, if you want to make changes.

I think you're right, Troy. I'm not going to force it in the next couple of weeks. With McZippie's advice on the batteries, maybe I won't have to do the solar at all but I'm thinking how neat it would be to power the ARB using nothing but solar, though I don't see us staying in one place for more than a couple of days since we have so many spots, ya know?

Here's more pics my wife got this weekend in Anza-Borrego desert.

post-959-0-11783600-1291656011.jpg

post-959-0-33026400-1289860683.jpg

post-959-0-78669100-1289860692.jpg

post-959-0-18161700-1289860705.jpg

BajaBus

Adventurer
NICE RIG!!!

I recently built up a 21 foot 2009 Ford E350 Van 6.0 Diesel 'cutaway' steel frame bus for personal/camper/man-cave use. We also use it to tow a Jeep Unlimited.

The above 'posted' advice to 'make-due' for the trip in few weeks and this stuff takes a lot of time, is spot-on.

I'll address your first question about batteries, for consideration when you have more time available.

1.) Forget or don't even bother to educate yourself on conventional wisdom for battery bank applications. Assuming your van has one starting battery under the hood. Ford has holes drilled on the passenger side frame rail for two more batteries, using Ford OEM Diesel battery boxes. These battery boxes are available at a good discount on Ebay. Purchase two of them.

Purchase 3 AGM batteries that are sized for the under hood battery box and the two frame rail battery boxes from Odyssey or Sears.

The conventional way to wire them, is to use the 2 frame rail batteries to power the house and use an isolator or solenoid, so the under hood starting battery doesn't discharge.
A better way, is to combine all 3 batteries into one bank, so all 3 batteries can be use for both starting and house usage. This is done with an automatic low voltage cut-off solenoid, that switches off all power from the 3 batteries at 12.01 voltage.

This type of system has five advantages over over conventional separate starting/house wiring schemes.

1. An auto cutoff of 12.01 volts saves batteries from low voltage damage.
2. No need to monitor the amps usage to protect the batteries from low voltage damage.
3. All 3 batteries are available for house and engine starting. (Read up on Peukert Law as to the benefits of a larger battery bank)
4. AGM batteries can be charged at a 'much' higher rate than Deep Cycle or Starting batteries. (faster charging)
5. Wiring is a lot simpler than conventional isolator/solenoid systems.

When you get back, post on how you plan on using your Rig and I'll give you my thoughts on solar systems, based on your usage. There can be a lot of money wasted on solar if your useage doesn't fit into solars very narrow benefit schemes. A generator or beefed up engine alternator(s) may be preferable.

On edit... Consider not spending much money or even not doing the aluminium sleeping/storage thingie, until after the trip. Maybe just for this trip fab up something temp and quick out of wood. I can suggest 'killer' ideas for family with kids 'real world' van interiors.

McZippie, thanks a million man. I'm going to print your post out and try to wrap my head around it. I had no idea about the existing holes on the frame rails - excellent news!! :wings:

So if we're staying on a beach for a couple of nights, running an ARB fridge, lights at night, charging laptops, etc. do you think we'd need to go with a foldable solar setup at all, or will this system be okay? I figure for about $700 I can get the 62 setup and really send some juice to the battery bank. What do you think? Yes, I contemplated the hi-output alternator or small generator as well but I sure like the idea of a notebook-sized solar setup. Opinions?

Your rig is positively mouth-watering. Just called the wife and kids in here to see and they are as amazed as me. Wow!

BajaBus

Adventurer
Mine is an 02 v10 E350. I just put an extra battery in the rear with an isolator. I recomend and use an ARB fridge. They have a light inside and run for a week on a charge. Use it in the house when you have a party and keep it out of the van when you don't need it. Lights and electric is over rated. You don't need stadium lighting when camping and a small LED flashlights in the pocket is very usefull. Conserve when you can and every time the engine is run the batteries get topped off.
Keep it simple. Adventure trailer has a cool water tank with snozzle I wish I had and for fuel I'd just throw 3 jerry cans on the roof. Get metal ones if you can.

Where did you put your extra battery, Stumpalump? I read reviews on the ARB and everyone recommends them. I ordering one up this morning. It'll make a nice little beer cooler for parties too. :sombrero:

BajaBus

Adventurer
I completely agree with most of what is above...
Using the Ford factory battery holders is great as I have never banged mine on anything.
Sears Platinum batteries are the Odysseys rebranded.

I travel baja also and I am pretty sure 25 gals will get you by if you stop freq for fuel. I agree that rushing to have something on your back bumper fabbed is a bad idea.
However since you are in Cali why not just go to Aluminess and get the bumpers that they spec for SMB?
Yeah they are not cheap but they are worth every penny.
I love the big box on the back as I can put in Jerry cans or my propane tank & fire pit or pretty much anything else and it is lockable. And it handles high speed washboard like Baja. I would get the biggest box they have, you will love the storage (don't forget the recovery gear storage inside the bumper).
Also having the back tire on the swingout means later you can do the underfloor storage and get even more space.

If it really came down to it I would just strap down Jerry cans inside the rig (lots of people around the world do this with quality cans with no issues...I have done it many time before), pack it full of gear and just go, let the trip tell you what you need.

Lance, I can't thank you enough for turning me onto Aluminess! I though SMB made the bumpers proprietary and that I couldn't get one! I think I'm going to have to call them up right now. :sombrero:

We tend to go to places like San Francisquito and some roads to abandoned Jesuit missions where the nearest towns are so small that the Pemex stations tend to be out of gas alot. Also, it seems I have GRINGO written all over me and for the last few yrs those guys try every scam in the book to rip me off at the pump. The less stops the better!

dsw4x4

Adventurer
I saw that van on ebay it is very sharp. I asked the previous owner who built it but he did not know who did it. Either way it appears they did a really nice job with the top and 4wd conversion. The first thing I would be concerned with would be fuel the range sucks on these things with the smaller tanks. I also agree with who ever said I would use it on a trip before making major altercations unless you owned a van in the past and know what you want. Making small changes as you use it will give you a better overall result and less money wasted from doing things twice.
Welcome to the portal.
Derek

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles