Replacement Seats

HARABAS

Observer
Checking in to see what reviews and experiences people have had with after market replacement seats. Recaro seats look great but are very expensive. I've seen others in the $300 to $500 for both front "racing" seats. Alternatively I've seen set ups using seats from another vehicle.
Opinions, suggestions and photos greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Checking in to see what reviews and experiences people have had with after market replacement seats. Recaro seats look great but are very expensive. I've seen others in the $300 to $500 for both front "racing" seats. Alternatively I've seen set ups using seats from another vehicle.
Opinions, suggestions and photos greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

I'm no expert, but I'm sure there are some on the forum. Might help them out if you tell what the target vehicle is.

HARABAS

Observer
I'm no expert, but I'm sure there are some on the forum. Might help them out if you tell what the target vehicle is.

Right. It'll be for a Gen 1 Montero. From what I've seen online, brackets are available for most any truck application. More than fit application, my inquiry is directed towards durability, driver/passenger stability off road and comfort on road.

HARABAS

Observer
Thanks for the suggestions. Checked them out and so far I favor the Corbeau GTS II. It's just a matter of convincing myself of it's value and level of priority on the wish list.

Brian1

Observer
I use a PRP Daily Driver seat. I have had it in my Explorer for about 5 years and it has been great. They hold you in enough over the bumpy roads but the sides are low enough to make getting in and out easier. One of these days I need to get one for the passenger side.

Attachments

• PRP4.JPG
    PRP4.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 61

Storz

Explorer
Stay away from those cheap seats. Seats are a saftey item in a car and the cheap knock-offs have no ratings at all. Corbeau makes about the cheapest rated seat you can buy, I had one in my Subie and really liked it.

cimg4552small.jpg

bjowett

Adventurer
I am partial to Recaro for many reasons... fit/finish, quality, form AND function. The form of some other seats, well leaves a bit to be desired... don't get me wrong, I'll take function over form any day, but to have both is :wings:

New they can be $$$$, but if one goes to a certain webpage and hunts around for a used set, one may be surprised at the price on some, easily within your budget. The best deals will probably be oem sets, Mitsubishi Evo units are in abundance... keep in the family. On most, the rails will unbolt, and you can purchase a set to adapt to your Montero, or possibly adapt the existing.

Recaros in my Tundra....
recaroseat.jpg

Last edited:
M

mike6187

Storz wrote:
Stay away from those cheap seats. Seats are a saftey item in a car and the cheap knock-offs have no ratings at all.........
your right! For my replacement seats I got the Durango Truck Seats by Cerullo for $1,169.99. Expensive but worth buying for.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Right. It'll be for a Gen 1 Montero. From what I've seen online, brackets are available for most any truck application. More than fit application, my inquiry is directed towards durability, driver/passenger stability off road and comfort on road.

Some Mitsu Starions/Dodge Conquests came with recaro like seats from the factory. very nice ones. You can probably get a set pretty inexpensive but then you'd want to have them re upholstered which won't be cheap.

I had a pair of corbeau's but I preferred the feel of the stock gen I LS seats coupled with the bouncy seat bases they were very comfortable on and off road, unless you're wide like a couple of my friends, they were perfect.

HARABAS

Observer
[/QUOTE]I had a pair of corbeau's but I preferred the feel of the stock gen I LS seats coupled with the bouncy seat bases they were very comfortable on and off road, unless you're wide like a couple of my friends, they were perfect.[/QUOTE]

Good point. The stock seats in my Gen 1 Montero are actually not bad at all. Just ratty from age. After checking out all suggestions and a bit of cost ratio analysis, I'm going for re-upholstery. The stock seats have the right width, depth and height so why mess with things. Besides, if I go for new seats, I would have to re-upholster the rear seats as well to match anyway. For the price of a pair of good replacement seats, I can get the stock fronts and back re-done.

Found a good upholsterer in SF and will be doing it with these materials from http://www.ahh.biz:/fabric_catagories/rubberized_materials.htm
Pig skin for main cover and narraganset for center panels.

Attachments

• toughtek_pigskin_stretch.jpg
    toughtek_pigskin_stretch.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 5
  • toughtek_narraganset.jpg
    toughtek_narraganset.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles