Beetle Off Road camper build

MidnightRider

MidnightRider
I just came across this build, can't wait to see how it turns out. I have a couple V-dubs too. 65 and 73 baja.

This one I have beat to hell, it's been all over the mountains and desserts of socal. Its always got me where I wanted to go and back.

Looks good so far.... Good luck with the rest of your build. Keep us posted.

Attachments

• 237 (800x600).jpg
    237 (800x600).jpg
    355.8 KB · Views: 70

Vasir

Village Idiot
I just came across this build, can't wait to see how it turns out. I have a couple V-dubs too. 65 and 73 baja.

This one I have beat to hell, it's been all over the mountains and desserts of socal. Its always got me where I wanted to go and back.

Looks good so far.... Good luck with the rest of your build. Keep us posted.

your baja isexactly the mental image i have in mine to go through mexico/central america with. with the exception of a custom roof rack for a roof top tent, or platform for a 1 man tent.

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I'm thinking roof top tent with a couple steps up the back in conjunction with the cooler rack.

There's yer 2 story bug!

I took a bug body off one pan to use it and had to dispose of it, so I put it on top of my other bug as the heater tubes fit in the rain gutters. I tied it off front and rear and drove it off to the salvage yard. A couple in an MG began following me, passing me and taking pricutes. I soon saw my picture in the newspaper with all kinds of captions. Maybe he has a large family and needed a double decker, etc. So, yes you can have a two story bug.....LOL

Best thing about the baja is that if you don't have a full tank of gas and you get stuck, you can get out and just lift the front end and point it in another direction and take off! I miss my old bugs as well, pure fun!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Also, if you are new to VW's here is the minimal list of parts to carry for spares, along with any tools you plan to carry.

- 1 Long side steering rod.
- 1 Throttle cable and carb linkage connection goodies.
- 1 Clutch cable with the big wing nut.
- 1 Fan belt.
- Match box of assorted fuses.
- Spare lug bolt set.
- Hose clamps of assorted sizes that fit everything on your rig.
- 4' length of fuel hose.
- Spare fuel filter.
- 1 quart of 20w50.
- Roll of Duct tape.
- Roll of electrical tape.

This should keep you prepared for the normal daily VW issues that WILL pop up on you.

One most important extra to have is a oil filler cap! If you lose that the oil will get sucked out of the engine quicker than your oil gauge will register the drop. I know. But, the trusty VW being what it is, just let the engine cool down if you lock one up, pour fresh oil in it and let it sit. Push it and put it in second and pop the clutch, you'll break it lose and be on your way with little damage. Can't do that with any other engine I know of!

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
Wow, I use to float mine some in the river, never knew they would make it across the Atlantic! LOL

Thanks for posting this! I've been reading it for some time and it's an awsome adventure with lots of pics or her travels. That is one spunky gal! Love her attitude. Lots of cool rallies and other cars as well. Enjoyed it....Thanks again! :)

Last edited:

Ozarker

Pontoon Admiral
I believe on the Joplin Mo CG there was a rail buggy for $1.500. It ran.

You can find rail buggys pretty cheap and if built well, straight cages, a body is not har to fabricate. I've seen some with just a cabin and canvas stretched, it will keep you dry and warmer. I need to consolidate vehicles, having 4 I don't need a use limited toy. I guess you could use a rail as a driver, but the baja bug would be better choice for most.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles