Family RTT suggestions?

Voodoo11

Observer
Hi all,

My wife and I recently decided to outfit our Jeep JK 4 door to accommodate our family for some camping. We decided to go roof rack over trailer mainly due to our lack of storage space for a trailer.

I'm now researching Family sized RTTs to mount on my Gobi Rooft Rack. I have looked at both EeziAwn (1800 and 2200) and the Hannibal family tents.

Does anyone have any other recommendations of tents? Will these and other fit nicely/ok on a Jeep JK and Gobi rack? I have 3 kids, 20 months, 4, and 11. The EeziAwn 1800 is comparable to our King size bed, which admittedly does sometimes see all 5 of us asleep on a given night. I do realize the kids are getting bigger so perhaps a family tent (like the 2200) is more appropriate.

lastly, my JK is lifted on a 3" long arm lift and 35" tires. I want to also take into account weight and balance and CG issues.

Any tips/recommendations here are greatly appreciated.

Abel Villesca

Explorer
I've got a 2200 mounted on my Chaser. It is exceptionally roomy! You'd have no problems sleeping five in one. I can't speak to how it would fit on your JK or affect CG.

Token

Explorer
I've got the large Mombassa RTT.. Works well for three of us.. I'd hate to have another kid to stuff in there though..

Voodoo11

Observer
I've got a 2200 mounted on my Chaser. It is exceptionally roomy! You'd have no problems sleeping five in one. I can't speak to how it would fit on your JK or affect CG.

Cool. Did you compare this to other family tents like the Hannibal? How does it compare?

Abel Villesca

Explorer
At the time the only other tent I was considering was the Eezi Awn Series 3 T Top 1600 tent. I didn't look at the Hannibal.

kai38

Explorer
Two Overcamp tents would fit the bill
http://www.autohomeus.com/rooftop/overcamp.php
One on each side of the rack. They can zip together to make one tent when flipped open.

155_Hummer-Trailer-open.jpg

KC Cruiser

Adventurer
We run the Camping Labs large on the 80 series Landcruiser. Myself, wife and 2 girls now 4 & 2 and we have room for bags and such.

fj40_nut

I gave up on a RTT with five and went back to the ground. The reasons were weight, crampedness, and expense for the tent or two smaller tents. My kids are old enough now where they can simply set up the tent while my wife and I do other odds and ends setting up camp.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
A little off track, but seeing as you have a 4 door JK and you need to sleep 5 people I think you should consider the JK Habitat

It's a direct replacement for the factory roof and only increases the weight by 100 lbs.

What you are dealing with right now is a roof rack and a RTT, so the cost will be about the same but you'll have less weight and a lower profile.

To sleep 5 people in a RTT you would be looking at an 1800 or a 2200 (width of the tents in meters). The 1800 can comfortably sleep two adults and an 11 year old, to squeeze the other two children in works for a night or two but not much beyond that if you all want to remain sane.

The 2200 would be pushing it as far a size and weight on a JK went.

Voodoo11

Observer
A little off track, but seeing as you have a 4 door JK and you need to sleep 5 people I think you should consider the JK Habitat

The 2200 would be pushing it as far a size and weight on a JK went.

the habitat looks sweet but I want the roof rack for other purposes.

You don't suggest a 2200? I plan on only using it for 3-4 nights maximum at a time and i only plan on mounting the tent for our camping trips. All other times, it will be off the JK. I was told the 2200 will fit. Is safety compromised at that length/size?

Lemsteraak

Adventurer
I'll second Martyn's suggestion. AT is really coming up with some practical solutions. I love how they are bringing back the Wildernest concept.

The twin side by side OverCamps was an early project for a fellow with a Hummer. It was huge, both tents together are over 12 feet wide. It looks good but, in my opinion, it really didn't work. First because of the weight, it is cumbersome, something like 300 pounds up high. Second, I think rooftents should be light and simple, good for traveling light and fast, kind of the opposite of family camping. The client had a Hummer, few limitations, but even still, we didn't put it on top but on a custom designed trailer.

The rooftent solution can work but I don't recommend it. One solution is you can get one of AutoHome's Medium OverCamp tents, they really are a nice large tent with a small footprint. Here it is inside -

OverCampInside.jpg

And outside (OK this is a small one)

425_front-quarter-open.jpg

But ...... you need to keep an eye on weight. A North American spec medium OverCamp is about 135 pounds, maybe a little more. The big South African family rooftents are even heavier. All USA spec roofbars carry a maximum of 165 pound rating so a couple kayaks are out of the question without modifications. Also keep in mind that you can only load 1000 pounds of family and stuff maximum in and on your Jeep. Really easy to do when going off on an extended trip with the family.

Sorry for being negative, but I've thought about this and would love to hear what others have to say.

Rich

Voodoo11

Observer
The rooftent solution can work but I don't recommend it. One solution is you can get one of AutoHome's Medium OverCamp tents, they really are a nice large tent with a small footprint. Here it is inside -

OverCampInside.jpg

You think a medium would be big enough for a family of 5? I like the specs, fairly light weight compared to the other brands..

NIVEK_TURK

Observer
How's the quality of the moombasa. The price is looking very affordable for one in this time of crisis. Was looking into getting an arb are a, camping lab but the moombassa just has the price that I wanna spend.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles