What's new at Coyote RV/Phoenix Pop up?

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Ok, today the great new unit called "Li'l One" was successfully loaded onto it's new mate, a beautiful white Nissan Frontier Crew Cab Long Bed. Everything went fantastic and smooth. The only thing is, some nice folks dropped in right after the installation, and we designed their new Phoenix pop up the rest of the afternoon. So, we had to run off late to high school hockey, and I forgot the camera connection cord at work.

We will post pictures and notes about the Frontier installation tomorrow for sure!

Ok, finally I ended up at the computer, WITH the camera, AND the cord... so here's the story of "Li'l One" installation:

Oh, and first an appology.... I mentioned earlier that this unit was going to be carried by a Frontier "Crew Cab" and I miss-spoke, it is actually going on a "King Cab." So, just in case anyone was looking forward to pics of one of our units on a Frontier king cab, I have posted a photo of an old school Phoenix on a short bed Frontier King Cab.

It all starts early in the morning Wednesday, it's about 20 crisp degrees here in Denver, and the Sun isn't quite up yet, but some light is starting to glow. I use the cordless drill and raise "Li'l One" up high on the jacks so the Frontier can slip undernieth, when the time comes. The unit has been in testing/camping mode for about a week, so the water and L.P. tanks are full, the furnace is hot, and the refrigerator is cold. The roof has been raised and lowered 100+ times, and everything is clean and tidy. But, I look it over just one more time (once the sun shines on the lot, that is). I've done this thousands of times, but it's still a great feeling to see all the hard work materialize and stand proud in the morning Sunlight... We're ready.

008.jpg
[/IMG]

007.jpg
[/IMG]

006-1.jpg
[/IMG]

The excited customers show up late morning, after a comfortable night's rest in a near by hotel, and they are beaming! I load the camper and secure it on their truck in record time while they watch and talk, then we do the standard instructional walk through. They are heading for the hills, the highway, or the beach before noon!!

011-1.jpg
[/IMG]

010.jpg
[/IMG]

The Crew Cab custom short bed model.... old school phoenix

nissancrew17.jpg
[/IMG]

We (my wife and I) have implemented some really exciting Phoenix exclusive innovations lately (kind of secret) but they will all be part of 2011 units. In other words all new orders from here on out!

12/11 modified per customer' schedule changes:
Next custom unit designed for full size short bed Silverado Extended Cab, with nice equipment package.... due to be complete built Friday December 10th, installed THIS monday. Will keep updating! Thanks, Rob

Last edited:

Gunnslinger

Adventurer
"Next custom unit designed for full size short bed Ram, but WITH a very nice equipment package.... due to be built by the end of next week, installed the following monday. Will keep updating!"

OK you have my undivided attention. Can't wait to see it....

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks, You do nice work as well.

I'm the proud (third) owner of a 1999 Phoenix camper. Y'all do nice work!

Thank you so much for the compliment! You do nice work as well!

I notice your camper started out as Tacoma/Ranger/Frontier size, then was fit to your Tundra... That looks very nice how you elevated the unit with a nice sturdy frame, then extended the jacks to reach around the truck body... perfect! I bet your tundra handles it well.

Good to see you out enjoying those great outdoors... keep it up!

Rob

DurangoSteve

Adventurer
Thank you so much for the compliment! You do nice work as well!

I notice your camper started out as Tacoma/Ranger/Frontier size, then was fit to your Tundra... That looks very nice how you elevated the unit with a nice sturdy frame, then extended the jacks to reach around the truck body... perfect! I bet your tundra handles it well.

Good to see you out enjoying those great outdoors... keep it up!

Rob

Good eye! It was indeed built for a smaller truck, so some mods were necessary to fit our Tundra. I built a pressure-treated 2x4 frame to give it the addl height needed to clear the Tundra cab, and had 1/4" aluminum plates fabricated to extend the jacks to clear the wheel flares. I have since backed them with 1/8" steel plates to eliminate flex when loading/unloading. Works like a charm! Someday we'll be contacting you to build us a new custom camper... but it will probably be awhile since your campers are built to last!

Yeah, our Tundra handles the camper with ease. With a dry weight of 700 lbs, all I had to do was add some airbags.

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
No Discovery/Camper unit pics... sorry

Do you have any pics of the Discovery?

To give you a very complicated answer to a simple question:

We have not captured any pictures of the discovery-backpacker conversion, or very many of our countless custom projects, unfortunately. Up until about 5 years ago, I used to take a little "parking lot picture" of every camper that we finished (if it got installed in the daylight that is).Then, we decided that parking lot pictures are cheeeezzzy, and stopped taking them, and instead asked our customers to please send us some REAL photos from their trips and adventures. Well, that never worked out very well, as people naturally tend to take pictures of their loved ones, mountains, bears and stuff, pretty much forgetting about us once they head for the highways. This is the time period that we did a lot of really cool custom work, and missed catching pics of most of it!!! I Never knew how many people out there might be interested in seeing what posibilities are out there. I really got drawn into the traditional way of RV Manufacturer thinking, like "bigger is better, more whistles and bells, build faster and cheaper." For this, I am sorry for the waisted time an effort. Looking forward, my thought is "better is better, unique is good, special is value."

So, I emplore everyone who had our custom special projects built, to send in photos, post them on The Expedition Portal....

From now on, I am taking more pictures, especially when building custom projects. we ALL love to see these unique machines!!

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Another happy camper!

The nice folks who ordered this custom unit are coming out here this morning from Vernal Utah. Well, his wife is out of country on a family emergency, so he's here with a friend to get the new unit.

7 am... inspection looking good, full caming mode, and everything's a-go! Photo of their beautiful interior with the "Awakening Artic" upholstery color choice.
015.jpg

This one seams pretty basic, but even 'basic" around here is still totally custom. For the sake of protecting our customer's identity, we will call him Mr H. Mr H asked for no jacks and an old school bolt down installation because he's never taking it off. He is a great artist, and will be using his camper to haul his paintings to shows all around, so we built him a very special Under bed storage that is deeper for more stacks of art, and wider spaces between the struts.
011-2.jpg
[/IMG]

Plus, keeping in mind Mr H is over 80 years young, and he still wanted to be able to store long items like his hockey sticks, canoe paddle, or fishing poles, so we added some special padded knotches.
014.jpg

No jacks wanted, so we will be using the old balancing act shop jacks to lift and load today, but first we have to remove an old trade in unit (we DON'T TAKE TRADE INS but these folks had no other way to even un-load their existing camper). So here we are 9 am, literally CUTTING the trade in off of their truck because there is sealant tape and glue all aroung the connection to the truck bed sides, as this is a floorless light weight style custom camper. So, if anyone needs a nice little used camper to fit short bed GM, here it is!

007-1.jpg
[/IMG]

009.jpg
[/IMG]

Next, we finally get to set the nice new camper on the truck, yeah! The new camper, with all of the great features the old one never had, like automatic funace, stove, double sinks, water tank, power converter, auxiliary battery, queen size bed, kitchen table, propane tank, screen door, fantastic vent only drops the height of the truck 1/2" more than the little old camper! I hear it's cold over in Vernal.... Don't forget to winterize your water system Mr H, happy camper!!
019.jpg

020.jpg

Last edited:

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Next poject coming right up...

Next unit is heading for Georgia:

Finishes this Friday, installs on Monday... A great little unit that leaves the truck bumper exposed and has the full shower, toilet, restroom, and many other great features, all on a Short Bed Crew Cab F250!!

ersatzknarf

lost, but making time
Great stuff !
Very enjoyable and informative.
Thank you for posting.

Looking forward to the next installation. That is a lot in a little space - very interested. Please may we have some interior photos, too ?

(PS - any chance of the Discovery owner being contacted by email to send a photo, perhaps ?)

Next unit is heading for Georgia:

Finishes this Friday, installs on Monday... A great little unit that leaves the truck bumper exposed and has the full shower, toilet, restroom, and many other great features, all on a Short Bed Crew Cab F250!!

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Have contacted the Discovery folks, and waiting....

Great stuff !
Very enjoyable and informative.
Thank you for posting.

Looking forward to the next installation. That is a lot in a little space - very interested. Please may we have some interior photos, too ?

(PS - any chance of the Discovery owner being contacted by email to send a photo, perhaps ?)

Hi ersatzknarf,

I have gone ahead and contacted all the folks with our Discovery/Phoenix conversions. I hope that they do get back to me with some stories and photos. Also, if I have one come in to see me for supplies or parts, I will catch some photos of them at that time. Otherwise, we will of course take pics of all the Disco conversions we do in the future!!!

Thank You for the interest,

Rob

offroadcamperguy

Supporting Sponsor
Landcruiser 80 series camper conversion

Rob, Great work! Have you done many 80 series Toyotas? If so, do you have any photos?

We have done some of the 80 series, and did happen to get a few pictures during the preliminary fit and cut phase of the build.

These vehicles really handle the backpacker great, hardly even tell it's there!

017-1.jpg

002.jpg

Thanks for the interest!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste