1996 turtle mountain trailer

docclem

Anybody know anything about this type of trailer,I found two for sale. whould they be a good base for a project? thanks in advance (newb to portal)

Attachments

• 1265214532-121_JPG_m.jpg
    1265214532-121_JPG_m.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 202

Scoutman

Explorer
Anybody know anything about this type of trailer,I found two for sale. whould they be a good base for a project? thanks in advance (newb to portal)

Depends on what you're wanting to use the trailer for and what you're pulling it with. It's military surplus and I believe intended to haul a HUGE generator around on. The spring packs will be stupid thick and offer very little articulation for what gear you might put on it. It will be heavy so unless you're using a full sized rig, you may be better going a different route cause it's proably going to be overkill.

D

Deleted member 9101

Thats a cargo trailer meant for a Humvee or Cuccve. they are great trailers, and not all that heavy. we use to beat the ever loving crap out of them..and they never once flinched!

Best part, is you have a eight lug truck..its the same bolt pattern and 37" tires.

shortbus4x4

Expedition Leader
Its a generator trailer. I have one and it actually would make a good expo trailer for someone with a family or takes lots with them. The Humvee ones like this actually don't take much weight to make the springs bottom out. There are some threads on here where members have built some up. Look under M101 trailer, thats what model this one is. Looks like an A3 series.

JPK

Explorer
Yes, that I'm fairly sure is an M116A3 trailer frame under the flat bed, which is the basis for the M101A3 trailer. I have an M116A3 frame with an M101A2 box on it and an M101A1 trailer as well.

The A3 versions have the drop axle as shown in your photo.

Good basis from an expedition trailer so long as your tow vehicle is up to it. In my opinion a JK or so is up to it. Your trailer should weigh about 800lbs less the flat bed according to the plate on my M116A3. Add maybe 200lbs for the flat bed. (The A2 box weighs 575lbs, a testament to its robustness.)

I'm building my A2 for the purpose now, but I could see the one you pictured being as good a base or better. Some top mounted "under frame" truck boxes on the sides for storage, maybe a utility box for more, rack for a RTT... good to go...

JPK

nat

Adventurer
Are there any good threads showing what people have done with their US M101 3/4 ton trailers?

JPK

Explorer
There are a couple. Try a search under M101A2 or just A2... (If you search M101 you will come up with a lot of threads on Canadian M101's, which are comparable to US M416's, i.e., a smaller 1/4 ton or maybe 1/2 ton trailer.)

I will see what pops up...

nat

Adventurer
I've searched before with little success, I just found a couple things. I'll try A2, hopefully you will have better luck!

slimpartywagon

the M116 trailer is a general cargo trailer... it is basically an M101 with out the box. very easy to work on, and very easy to use as a build platform. the main draw back is all the aluminum on it makes it harder to weld then a steel bed trailer.. but if I were closer, I would snag it up in a heart beat for my camp traielr build

slimpartywagon

the M116 trailer is a general cargo trailer... it is basically an M101 with out the box. very easy to work on, and very easy to use as a build platform. the main draw back is all the aluminum on it makes it harder to weld then a steel bed trailer.. but if I were closer, I would snag it up in a heart beat for my camp trailer build

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94