Explorer
sept1820100120.jpg

sept1820100243.jpg

sept1820100134.jpg

sept1820100202.jpg

peace !! :)

constructeur

Adventurer
Oh yes , I see you are a seasoned southern Chile visitor... yes , that ferry is the one sailing from Puerto Montt to Caleta Gonzalo (Pumalin Park).

The giant Alerce tree (over 5.000 years old) is located in the Alerce area of the Pumalin Park , http://www.parquepumalin.cl/content/eng/index.htm

Cheers man !

JP- I haven't been yet mate, but I have been putting quite a bit of time into familiarizing myself with Chile and Argentina as the family and I are planning a trek down there.

Sorry to pry, but is this in the Matanzas region as well? Just trying to research cool things to see and visit!

Chile seems to have quite a variety of diverse ecosystems that I can't wait to see and experience the way you have with your family. Cheers again for sharing.

-Terry

INSAYN

Adventurer
Wow, 90% of your pictures look like they were taken somewhere in Oregon. Even the coast looks similar to ours. :Wow1:

jpvm

Explorer
Wow, 90% of your pictures look like they were taken somewhere in Oregon. Even the coast looks similar to ours. :Wow1:

Well you're right man , southern Chile has a climate and landscapes pretty similar to Washington, Oregon and the Rockies areas. Same happens with southern Chile's coastline, it looks like the Pacific Oregon coast. Central Chile is very similar to Big Sur and Southern California coastal regions, just the other hemisphere mirrored ! :) .

jpvm

Explorer
JP- I haven't been yet mate, but I have been putting quite a bit of time into familiarizing myself with Chile and Argentina as the family and I are planning a trek down there.

Sorry to pry, but is this in the Matanzas region as well? Just trying to research cool things to see and visit!

Chile seems to have quite a variety of diverse ecosystems that I can't wait to see and experience the way you have with your family. Cheers again for sharing.

-Terry

Hey Terry
I posted the pictures a little mixed, so you'll find pics of southern Chile (even close to Patagonia) mixed wityh some of Central Chile. For Example Matanzas is like 100 miles south of Santiago (Captial city of Chile, in the middle of the country north to south), but those withe the snowed volcanoes (Pucon, Conguillio, etc.) are 500 miles south of Santiago. Some others with the ferry, the giant Alerce trees, etc. are closer to Patagonia (between 600 and 1200 miles south of Santiago).

Chile is long and narrow, but from north to south it has 3 or 4 main ecosystems and climates. In the north (1300 miles north of Santiago) it has the world's dryest desert (Atacama desert, it rains every 10 years or so), where for example this year we have again the Paris - Daker Rally. Then you get the Central area where you have mild mediterranean climate (like California, Nevada, etc.) with rainy winters and hot summers (300 miles north of Santiago thru 300 miles south), then comes the South (500 to 1000 miles south of Santiago) you have the lake district, with many volcanoes, hot springs, lakes, forests, humid forests, like Oregon, Washington, Rocky Mountain in Summer, etc. and humid winters,m with a lot of rain and snow. Then the far south 1500 miles south where is its pretty cold like a mix of northern Canada to Alaska, with forests , galciers, frozen lakes, windy open spaces, etc.

The good part of Chile for adventurers and campers is the fact that we don't have harmful critters, nor wolves, bears, snakes, spyders, etc. so you can really camp in the open widerness without any fear.

Last edited:

CanuckMariner/Nomad

Love having fun 😊 in the 🌞 by the ⛵ and the ⏳
Nothing chauvinistic about it at all! Definitely a beautiful country and enjoyed my stay there as well although many years ago now. Thanks for sharing!:costumed-smiley-007

jpvm

Explorer
Thanks guys, comments coming from seasoned travellers is rewarding.

And yes, all these pictures were taken by me on vacation excursions to some of the most "touristic" places in southern Chile. There is a lot more to see in this country especially in the far north where deserts and beaches dominate.

I live in a 5 million soul city and hate the crowds , therefore my ramblings are to mostly inhabited parts of Chile where our souls touch the sky. :drool:

SChandler

Adventurer
Thanks for sharing the awesome photos. I would love to spend some time traveling through Chile. It's definitely on the list of places to see before I die.

jmccandless

Incredible!

Your pictures are great, the country looks amazing,

I've started looking at a trip down there and am trying to figure out whether to rent a vehicle or to fly in and buy one, then sell when I leave. If I am there, buying might be more economical...

Do you know of a good online classified for Santiago? I haven't been able to find one yet...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste