Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Latches for Tire Carrier Swing Out Arm

I use compression latches up front and the kaymar latches on the rear.

-Sam
    Tigret Tamer.
    Luxury is the lubricant of life.

Put a little gravel in your travel.

I use a Carr-Lane latch that is similar to the De-Sta-Co latch. I also have a secondary safety pin. My latch is rated at 2000lb.

Here's the latch when I first finished my bumper, and before I added the safety pin.

with safety pin (hopefully you can see it) closed.

swingout open with pin visible.
    Adam Tolman
    '93 FZJ80
    03 DC Tacoma
    '08 Off-road Trailer
    TEPUI TENTS. PM for PRICING

Quote Originally Posted by Maximus Ram View Post
    Whats the model # for this latch ?
    5135A27 at www.mcmaster.com After looking it up I realized my latch is rated for 2k as well so I edited my post above.
    Brian
    Albuquerque, NM
    1991 Ford Explorer

Quote Originally Posted by stockwell45 View Post
    Thanks alot guys. So I'm guessing the small tab on the destaco is what keeps it locked?
    No. This latch is an over-center design. The force resulting from this design holds it snugly against the bumper.
    Here's my attempt at a legible force diagram, followed by a verbose attempt at describing its function.

Basically, the u-bolt on the swing-out is pulled tight against the hook on the bumper. The u-bolt's pivot point is slightly further aft than the handle's pivot point (rivet head) below it. As a result, as the u-bolt is tightened, it actually travels past the highest-tension position as the handle levers the u-bolt pivot point toward the vehicle, resulting in a small horizontal component of the resultant force. This small horizontal component holds the swing-out snugly against the bumper and it is impossible for the the swing-out to open until the u-bolt is moved past the center rivet.

I hope that's slightly comprehensible. The long and short is--no, there is not a requirement for a latch to lock down an over-center latch as long as the swing-out doesn't flex so much while driving that it allows the u-bolt to momentarily lose it's tension. That's the only scenario I can envision where the backup latch might prevent the over-center latch from spontaneously opening.
    Last edited by Hedge; 12-11-2010 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedge View Post
    No. This latch is an over-center design. The force resulting from this design holds it snugly against the bumper.
    Here's my attempt at a legible force diagram, followed by a verbose attempt at describing its function.

Basically, the u-bolt on the swing-out is pulled tight against the hook on the bumper. The u-bolt's pivot point is slightly further aft than the handle's pivot point (rivet head) below it. As a result, as the u-bolt is tightened, it actually travels past the highest-tension position as the handle levers the u-bolt pivot point toward the vehicle, resulting in a small horizontal component of the resultant force. This small horizontal component holds the swing-out snugly against the bumper and it is impossible for the the swing-out to open until the u-bolt is moved past the center rivet.

I hope that's slightly comprehensible. The long and short is--no, there is not a requirement for a latch to lock down an over-center latch as long as the swing-out doesn't flex so much while driving that it allows the u-bolt to momentarily lose it's tension. That's the only scenario I can envision where the backup latch might prevent the over-center latch from spontaneously opening.

This makes absolute perfect sense. Its like a load tensioner, you have to pull it past its highest tension point until it snaps past and secures the load. Nice wording! Another question your pictures brought up about my soon to be bumper: I noticed you have a light running to your liscense plate. Ive seen many people with these, are they required by law?
    97 4runner. Lifted, Locked, Armored

I noticed you have a light running to your license plate. I've seen many people with these, are they required by law?
    That's Box Rocket's photo of his own bumper--I pirated it and scribbled on it because it was reasonably close to a side profile. But yes, I think most states' laws require an illuminated plate.

Quote Originally Posted by fire931 View Post
    Here's the one we typically use...

I used this same latch (minus the secondary saftey.......wish I had seen them before!) never had a rattle or even the hint of one. They are a bit spendy but they work and they are built to last!

Quote Originally Posted by wjeeper View Post
    I used this same latch (minus the secondary saftey.......wish I had seen them before!) never had a rattle or even the hint of one. They are a bit spendy but they work and they are built to last!
    Yes they are very good latches. They actually just came out with the version with the safety catch a couple months ago so it's still fairly new. In playing with them though I can say that it will prevent the latch from popping open unwontedly though. They aren't priced to bad, although I may be getting somewhat of a deal due to quantity that I buy (not sure about that). But they are worth every penny if you ask me, very well made.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian1 View Post
    5135A27 at www.mcmaster.com After looking it up I realized my latch is rated for 2k as well so I edited my post above.
    Thanks.
    "Credo Quia Absurdum"

'97 Dodge Ram 1500 4x (Daily Driver)
    '93 XJ Sport (Adventure Vehicle)

I noticed you have a light running to your liscense plate. Ive seen many people with these, are they required by law?
    Yes, as they are in CA. I'm using something like these on one of my cars. Seems to be acceptable and were easy to install.

Oh, and another vote for the De-Sta-Co clamps. Except the rubber handle cover on mine is faded and kinda sticky resulting from the UV rays. Need to get a replacement.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast