Latches for Tire Carrier Swing Out Arm

Hedge

Adventurer
I noticed you have a light running to your license plate. I've seen many people with these, are they required by law?

That's Box Rocket's photo of his own bumper--I pirated it and scribbled on it because it was reasonably close to a side profile. But yes, I think most states' laws require an illuminated plate.

wjeeper

Here's the one we typically use...

324-R.jpg

I used this same latch (minus the secondary saftey.......wish I had seen them before!) never had a rattle or even the hint of one. They are a bit spendy but they work and they are built to last!

fire931

Adventurer
I used this same latch (minus the secondary saftey.......wish I had seen them before!) never had a rattle or even the hint of one. They are a bit spendy but they work and they are built to last!

Yes they are very good latches. They actually just came out with the version with the safety catch a couple months ago so it's still fairly new. In playing with them though I can say that it will prevent the latch from popping open unwontedly though. They aren't priced to bad, although I may be getting somewhat of a deal due to quantity that I buy (not sure about that). But they are worth every penny if you ask me, very well made.

hoser

Explorer
I noticed you have a light running to your liscense plate. Ive seen many people with these, are they required by law?
Yes, as they are in CA. I'm using something like these on one of my cars. Seems to be acceptable and were easy to install.

31D%2BVX9%2BOEL._SS400_.jpg

Oh, and another vote for the De-Sta-Co clamps. Except the rubber handle cover on mine is faded and kinda sticky resulting from the UV rays. Need to get a replacement.

Dave Bennett

Adventurist
Latches can break....this is another solution..about seven turns = never comes undone.

Lockingmechanismforbothswingarms.jpg

This is similar to mine. Really just a big bolt with a handle on it. Another advantage to this style other than it stays shut even in a rollover or collision (doubt those other latches would...) is anti-theft.

Take a 2 ft tube and flatten one end and then use that as a breaker bar to give it an extra turn... Nobody short of Mongo himself will be able to open your swingout to get at stuff unless they have the special "tool" ;)

stockwell45

Why am I not outside?
Alright, so after thinking it over I've decided I'm gonna go with the De-Sta-Co latch with the safety lock. My friend is building a bumper at the same time as I am, and he decided he's gonna go with the twist style latch. Were gonna test them both out and find out which ones hold up better. My friend is starting a fabrication business for northern CA and will incorporate the better of the two latches into his custom made bumpers. Thanks for the info guys. Any more info on how anyones liscense plate lights are wired up into the cab would be awesome too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles