Latches for Tire Carrier Swing Out Arm

stockwell45

Why am I not outside?
Hey guys. I'm getting ready to build my rear bumper with tire carrier for my 97 4runner. The one thing I'm still have questions on is the latch for the swing out arm. I like Irbis's design, but I dont know too much about it. As long as it keeps the tire carrier from rattling around and falling on the highway works for me. Can any of you with a system like this give me any advice on what type of latch to get or fabricate? Pictures would be great also. Thanks!

FlyNdrive

Adventurer
I used De-Sta-Co clamps for mine. They come assembled so no fab work needed and no worries about rattles.

323.jpg

Good luck.

fire931

Adventurer
We use De-Sta Clamps on all our swing outs. The only difference from the one in the picture is we typically use a 90 deg. clamp but either would work, just depends on how your mounting it.

Brian1

Observer
Destaco here too. I added a secondary latch just in case it came unlatched. No rattles and they are tough, at least the bigger latches. Mine is rated at 2000lbs.

Attachments

• m_rear bumper improvements (3).JPG
    m_rear bumper improvements (3).JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

fire931

Adventurer
Destaco here too. I added a secondary latch just in case it came unlatched. No rattles and they are tough, at least the bigger latches. Mine is rated at 1000lbs.

Good idea. We use the newer design that comes with the safety catch made onto it to help prevent unwanted openings. Seems to work really well especially if you set it up right as far as the angle it's at when closed. Also the ones we use are rated for 2,000lbs.

fire931

Adventurer
Here's the one we typically use...

324-R.jpg

Rated at 2,000 lbs. And you can see the safety catch handle on top, you just use your thumb to push it down while you open the latch.

Box Rocket

I use a Carr-Lane latch that is similar to the De-Sta-Co latch. I also have a secondary safety pin. My latch is rated at 2000lb.

Here's the latch when I first finished my bumper, and before I added the safety pin.
finishedlatch.jpg

with safety pin (hopefully you can see it) closed.
_MG_1225.jpg

swingout open with pin visible.
_MG_1235.jpg

Hedge

Adventurer
Thanks alot guys. So I'm guessing the small tab on the destaco is what keeps it locked?

No. This latch is an over-center design. The force resulting from this design holds it snugly against the bumper.
Here's my attempt at a legible force diagram, followed by a verbose attempt at describing its function.

Over-CenterClampDiagram-1.jpg

Basically, the u-bolt on the swing-out is pulled tight against the hook on the bumper. The u-bolt's pivot point is slightly further aft than the handle's pivot point (rivet head) below it. As a result, as the u-bolt is tightened, it actually travels past the highest-tension position as the handle levers the u-bolt pivot point toward the vehicle, resulting in a small horizontal component of the resultant force. This small horizontal component holds the swing-out snugly against the bumper and it is impossible for the the swing-out to open until the u-bolt is moved past the center rivet.

I hope that's slightly comprehensible. :eek: The long and short is--no, there is not a requirement for a latch to lock down an over-center latch as long as the swing-out doesn't flex so much while driving that it allows the u-bolt to momentarily lose it's tension. That's the only scenario I can envision where the backup latch might prevent the over-center latch from spontaneously opening.

Last edited:

stockwell45

Why am I not outside?
No. This latch is an over-center design. The force resulting from this design holds it snugly against the bumper.
Here's my attempt at a legible force diagram, followed by a verbose attempt at describing its function.

Over-CenterClampDiagram-1.jpg

Basically, the u-bolt on the swing-out is pulled tight against the hook on the bumper. The u-bolt's pivot point is slightly further aft than the handle's pivot point (rivet head) below it. As a result, as the u-bolt is tightened, it actually travels past the highest-tension position as the handle levers the u-bolt pivot point toward the vehicle, resulting in a small horizontal component of the resultant force. This small horizontal component holds the swing-out snugly against the bumper and it is impossible for the the swing-out to open until the u-bolt is moved past the center rivet.

I hope that's slightly comprehensible. :eek: The long and short is--no, there is not a requirement for a latch to lock down an over-center latch as long as the swing-out doesn't flex so much while driving that it allows the u-bolt to momentarily lose it's tension. That's the only scenario I can envision where the backup latch might prevent the over-center latch from spontaneously opening.

This makes absolute perfect sense. Its like a load tensioner, you have to pull it past its highest tension point until it snaps past and secures the load. Nice wording! Another question your pictures brought up about my soon to be bumper: I noticed you have a light running to your liscense plate. Ive seen many people with these, are they required by law?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles